Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM

336 posts, read 513,600 times

Advertisements

I guess Yac is still mad about the invasion of Poland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 07:46 PM

12 posts, read 45,344 times
What year are you people living in? I havent heard af- amer called colored since the sixtys.Wake up people.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,615 times
Lightbulb Looking for assistance in Mitchell

Sorry, but I could write a book about discrimination. While we are most concerned about discrimination based upon race, we are ignoring that the real discrimination is based upon income. For instance, as someone with an upper middle class income, it may be illegal for a bank or creditor the charge me an excessive rate of interest. However, for a fellow living week to week, and buying a vehicle at a "buy here pay here lot", the individual may be paying interest at the rate of 28%. If his credit is good enough he can sign a contract and obtain a cell phone at less than 6 cents per minute, however, if one's credit is impaired he is required to purchase a pre-paid calling card which may cost as much as 50 cents per minute. Wake up, our discrimination is based upon income and is designed to abolish the "middle class" and create a dependent class. If you have any doubt, just look around you at the number of minimum wage jobs that simply keep an individual surviving at best. Additionally, you will find that many established employers control local government and prevent new industry from establishing in an area, so that wage competition does not result in a higher standard of living. If you continue to vote for the Republicans on a national level you are going to find yourself a slave to the few. Do your research and ask yourself: Why did the Republican party push to allow illegal aliens to obtain Social Security Benefits recently?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:33 PM

46 posts, read 380,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrutba View Post
What year are you people living in? I havent heard af- amer called colored since the sixtys.Wake up people.
I was shocked when i moved here from Seattle and heard people still saying colored, like they thought it was ok, better than the N word. The same people say stuff like 'im not racist, i just dont like them uppity N'ers'

At a gas station one time the clerk rang me up before he would help this black guy who was waiting ahead of me. I honestly felt bad, compliant for not saying to the clerk 'wtf help him first'.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:50 AM
lcb

7 posts, read 30,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
I was shocked when i moved here from Seattle and heard people still saying colored, like they thought it was ok, better than the N word. The same people say stuff like 'im not racist, i just dont like them uppity N'ers'

At a gas station one time the clerk rang me up before he would help this black guy who was waiting ahead of me. I honestly felt bad, compliant for not saying to the clerk 'wtf help him first'.
I was born and raised in SD. Both my parents were born and raised here in SD as well as each of their parents. We are South Dakotans; Americans. I have always wondered who "African Americans" are. Are they individuals who were born in Africa and immigrated to America? If they were born and raised in America, why are they not considering themselves to be Americans but rather "African Americans"? With heartfelt honesty, I truly am not trying to be catty or a smart aleck. I simply don't understand. Who is it that is trying to define people by their long ago ancestry or by their skin color? I don't consider myself a Czech, even tho my great grandparents were born there. My husband doesn't consider himself to be a German, even tho his great grandparents were born there. We have had a history of being the great melting pot. Why does it take some folks longer than others to get to the point of being Americans?

Is it possible that not having much contact with individuals of color that we just don't know who prefers what references? I think it is considered terribly rude and in miserably poor taste to refer to an Indian as "red man". Even the college mascots know that has to be wrong. I would never refer to my brother-in-law as "yellow" (Eastern descent). Why would I call someone "black"?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Bravo lcb. You hit it on the head. But be careful. I was called a true racist because I judged people in one catagory. Are they good neighbors or bad neighbors. I was told that I was truely discriminatory because I lumped people together.

I feel like you do. I'm not Bohimian American. I'm American. Live with it.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 106,419 times
Smile discrimination/stereotyping

Boy I need all of you to post in my thread! I had some real close minded folks hit me hard on ignoring racism....thank GOD there are those of you who are open minded enough to know that "Institutionalized Racism" is alive and well EVERYWHERE not just at Gage Brothers. I'm a nurse and I see it in hospitals, clinics, and in public places, stores, resturants, etc. I'm Caucasion and I try my best to call it when I see it. It pisses some people off, but unless we recognize it and call people on it, the close minded people stuck in the 60's will continue to perpetuate it. Get on line and/or call the EEOC, and the Civil Liberties Union. And KEEP NOTES! Without concrete precise documentation you are dead in the water. Best of Luck to you and all the people trying to make this world a better place FOR ALL OF US!!!! We may have come here on different ships, but we are all going down on the same one unless we change our ways!
God Bless,
Deb

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM

20 posts, read 106,419 times
Angry who called who WHAT????????????

Hmmm, you were NOT called a racist by me, yet you just called yourself one....in reference to your response:
"Bravo lcb. You hit it on the head. But be careful. I was called a true racist because I judged people in one catagory. Are they good neighbors or bad neighbors. I was told that I was truely discriminatory because I lumped people together."
Go back and read the thread man, I just made my observations, if you "assumed" that you were CALLED a racist then maybe you should examine whyyou came up with that notion?????

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
It was not on a South Dakota thread. I had mentioned that people are one. It doesn't make any difference what color you are or what your ethnic background is, you should be judged as one. You should respect the background and ethenticity of another, but not judge them based on that. And I was hammered for it. I don't know why. But I was.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Luv Music, I have lived in SD my entire life and I've never seen one act of discimination because of race. We have black people and Indians in our town and I'm unaware of any problems of discrimination. Your friend will be fine.
Yes, this sounds like an isolated incident. I spent some time in SD and never heard or experienced anything like this. People love to generalize if it's a white person doing these sorts of things, but never the other way around. Again, this sounds like an isolated incident and should be handled by the appropriate authorities (ex:file a complaint).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota