Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 01:37 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,130 times

Advertisements

In 2019 Pakistan Super League, 8 matches were played in Karachi. Lot of Foreign players, Umpires, commentators were there. I dont recall any untoward incident. Cricket needs to grow otherwise it will become a 4 country sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 04:18 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
For the first time in the history of cricket, team with best Bowling attack in the world is India.

Fast Bowlers - Bumrah, Ishant, Shami, Bhuvneswar , Umesh

I'd take the Aussie fast bowling line up any day of the week. Though I do love watching Bumrah bowl.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:48 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I'd take the Aussie fast bowling line up any day of the week. Though I do love watching Bumrah bowl.
He's definitely entertaining. I love watching him start his approach where he hunches over like he's sneaking up on the crease, then a couple series of stutter steps, then gives a Nazi salute with his bowling hand (ball in hand), then flings the hell out of it.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:32 AM

Cricket Ireland is struggling under the financial pressure of full member status

Quote:
Cricket Ireland has announced that financial constraints have forced next May's planned home Test against Bangladesh to be downgraded to a T20 international and the cancellation of the August T20 series against Afghanistan.

Cricket Ireland chief executive Warren Deutrom said today that the body had faced "a number of financial headwinds" in "the transition from an associate member to the operations required of a full member."

"This has been a great disappointment to us as we had hoped to have had an injection of new money into the sport from full membership that would have not only helped fulfill fixtures, but invest in infrastructure and the grassroots game across Ireland."

"We have been told that this expected shortfall is set to continue until 2023 when a new ICC funding model will be developed that will hopefully provide a greater share of the overall allocation, although of course that is still subject to discussion among all the members."
- full article at RTÉ

And I bet they're not the only ones. Zimbabwe's financial woes are well-known too, though much of that is the result of domestic corruption and economic turmoil. As much as the ICC wants to retain the primacy of the format, teams don't want the expense and fans just aren't interested (Ashes excluded). For all the hoopla about test cricket finally returning to Pakistan and how supposedly elated the fans are for its return, I've watched some of the Pakistan/Sri Lanka match and the stadium is about 80% empty.

How much longer will test cricket last as a viable format?

Old 12-18-2019, 02:58 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Cricket Ireland is struggling under the financial pressure of full member status

- full article at RTÉ

And I bet they're not the only ones. Zimbabwe's financial woes are well-known too, though much of that is the result of domestic corruption and economic turmoil. As much as the ICC wants to retain the primacy of the format, teams don't want the expense and fans just aren't interested (Ashes excluded). For all the hoopla about test cricket finally returning to Pakistan and how supposedly elated the fans are for its return, I've watched some of the Pakistan/Sri Lanka match and the stadium is about 80% empty.

How much longer will test cricket last as a viable format?
Sadly not for much longer...almost every country is struggling with test cricket.

South Africa: This is the country that seems to fly under the radar, but their cricket is struggling badly. Poorly run, fighting with the players, Kolpak, quotas; everything is draining the life out of their cricket. Look at how many south african players are in test teams for other countries right now. Labushagne, BJ Watling, Wagner...They have tried the band aid on a bullet wound by hiring Graeme Smith (but for just 3 months?!?) but I fear it might be too little too late at this point.

West Indies: All the best players now head to T20. Money talks and the WICB doesnt have any for its test players. So expect nothing but B and C grade players on the test team while the best go to IPL.

Sri Lanka/Bangladesh: Dependent on India for everything. IPL is their godsend. Sure as heck isnt test cricket. Before his ban, I noticed that Shakib had started developing the 'West Indian' sickness, where he is somehow too tired/injured/hurt to play test cricket, but magically recovered in time for T20.

You cant even blame the players, you make millions playing 20 over cricket and peanuts playing tests. No brainer really.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:24 PM

Yeah, South Africa looks to be going the way of Zimbabwe -- not just the internal struggles the sport of cricket is experiencing, but the social upheaval the whole country is facing. Not only are some of the best players leaving the country out of concern for their own safety (and of course for more remunerative opportunities), but so is much of the traditional (read: "white") fan base.

At this rate, in about 15 years I expect the top African team to be Namibia, provided both the sport and the country as a whole can avoid the same pitfalls of its neighbors to the east and south. That remains to be seen as looks like some factions are getting impatient with the pace of land reforms.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah, South Africa looks to be going the way of Zimbabwe -- not just the internal struggles the sport of cricket is experiencing, but the social upheaval the whole country is facing. Not only are some of the best players leaving the country out of concern for their own safety (and of course for more remunerative opportunities), but so is much of the traditional (read: "white") fan base.

At this rate, in about 15 years I expect the top African team to be Namibia, provided both the sport and the country as a whole can avoid the same pitfalls of its neighbors to the east and south. That remains to be seen as looks like some factions are getting impatient with the pace of land reforms.
But even the top countries are struggling a bit with this.
In England, county cricket does not make money. The counties depend on the ECB for payments, which the ECB in turn gets from its TV sponsorship deals. The decline of county cricket has been ongoing for a while now, to the point that there has been criticism of the ECB over the way the "Hundred" has been prioritized above county cricket

In Australia, the Big Bash is now giving an increasingly larger share of the summer space, and Sheffield Shield is being pushed to the side somewhat. It's not secret that BBL is going to grow more and more...now I wont say test cricket is dying in Australia, but there should be cause for concern.

The painful truth is that the only real money making test matches are the Ashes and anything involving India. The End. Pretty much all other nations lose money hosting test matches. Not sure what the solution to this could be. Probably a sign that test cricket belongs to a different time, not the snapchat/instagram generation.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:57 PM

I don't even know that test cricket is making much money in India. I watched a couple hours of highlight footage of the recent India vs WI test match and the stadium was mostly empty. Maybe if they were playing Pakistan or England there might have been more interest. But otherwise it looks like even Indians are bored with test cricket.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:17 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,130 times
We cannot just dismiss Test Cricket.

First Class Cricket ( 4 Day ) is the base of any Cricket Association. Local Associations maintain their facilities out of hosting Domestic competitions. Players come out of First Class Cricket. Due to rotation policy, local associations get funded for hosting Test and One Day and they pass on the profit by organising Domestic First Class Cricket.

Any T20 Franchise barely lease out stadium facilities for few days. Players make money for few weeks.

If you ask IPL Franchise to build or maintain any stadium, find new players - they will all close their shop.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I don't even know that test cricket is making much money in India. I watched a couple hours of highlight footage of the recent India vs WI test match and the stadium was mostly empty. Maybe if they were playing Pakistan or England there might have been more interest. But otherwise it looks like even Indians are bored with test cricket.
Oh Indians don’t watch test cricket either.

However, other countries can command more money for tests involving India because due to the huge Indian market even a small percentage of them buying the tv package is still a huge amount of income for other country cricket boards. This is why India will tour Sri Lanka and Bangladesh several times but rarely invite them to India to play, simply because those countries will be able to make more money selling the test package involving India for big bucks. This is also the “carrot” that BCCI uses to either reward (sri Lanka/Bangladesh) or punish (South Africa)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports