Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps it's my age but I'm confused. On the one hand, native Missourians have a bad attitude and you barely found the place bearable. On the other hand, Branson is full of natives but also has lots of people who aren't natives but the ones that are natives are "wonderfully well educated individuals holding down some very important positions for both the county and the city."

So what I read here says that our small towns and villages have to lose what you describe as a "small town selfish mentality" and become "progressive" like the Left Coast and East Coast in order to achieve the exalted status of being considered bearable - rid themselves of what's worked for generations and makes each one unique. Then in the next breath you counsel keeping an open mind. That seems entirely non sequitur.

My wife and I have traveled to, visited and spent time in as many small, Ozark towns and villages as we can in the almost three years we've lived here. Never have we been treated with anything but kindness, helpfulness and welcome. I have to wonder about those who say they haven't been.
We love Curmudgeon - even if you do want to bring boiled chicken feet to the Ozarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
We love Curmudgeon - even if you do want to bring boiled chicken feet to the Ozarks.
If you plant them they will grow!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If you're a liberal then EVERYONE in Branson is a conservative and you'll end up speechless from biting your tongue 'til it bleeds. Best look somewhere else. Might I suggest the left coast? You'll fit right in!
actually that left coast could be either, depending on how you hold the map.....

Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniis View Post
Hello folks, Greeniis here! I had promised to come back here to let you all know how my experience in Branson went. Well it didn't! I could not bring myself to go there for even a few months. My job offer was for December through mid April. If I liked it and they liked me it would become permanent. I was planning on spending the months of October through December visiting my daughter in Eugene, oregon. Eugene is my cup of tea! I liked it so much that I found work here and purchased a home and I'm here to stay.

I wanted to thank all of you for your input. It really helped me realize that a round peg cannot fit in a square hole. I am a patriotic, lesbian, atheist, liberal democrat and I know my place. And it is not in Branson, Mo. I know most of you will say you are happy that I didn't come there and spoil it. Well, I'm glad you are happy. I certainly am!
I think you are putting words into people's mouths. I am pretty sure you could find atheist, lesbians that are liberal everywhere and no you wouldn't have spoiled anything. Don't think it would have made that much difference to many, but for your sake, yes, you did the right thing. Our lesbian foster daughter lives in Portland, she loves to visit us and thinks we live just outside of heavern, but she and her partner would never move here.

Nita

Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually that left coast could be either, depending on how you hold the map.....
Yeah, if you are liberal and "look down" on the country, you would end up on the east coast.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 AM

27 posts, read 47,732 times
You know , most likely you would not get all the negative meanings out of what I wrote if you just read it word for word verbatem. I did NOT say the educated people were only from elsewhere did I? I did NOT say the natives in Branson were unfriendly, did I? I did NOT say any small town only in the state of just Missouri? No I definately said in America. Excuse me I did not realize that Missouri actually encompasses all of the USA. Were you in fact absent the day they studied the map of America back in the fifth grade?
Try reading with an open mind and you may just get a clearer picture of what is being related.
Once again, the reading comprehension skills are soooo necessary for the use of internet media.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxysr View Post
You know , most likely you would not get all the negative meanings out of what I wrote if you just read it word for word verbatem. I did NOT say the educated people were only from elsewhere did I? I did NOT say the natives in Branson were unfriendly, did I? I did NOT say any small town only in the state of just Missouri? No I definately said in America. Excuse me I did not realize that Missouri actually encompasses all of the USA. Were you in fact absent the day they studied the map of America back in the fifth grade?
Try reading with an open mind and you may just get a clearer picture of what is being related.
Once again, the reading comprehension skills are soooo necessary for the use of internet media.
Actually, and this may come as a surprise to you, my reading and comprehension skills are just fine, as are my critical thinking skills. I wouldn't have survived as a career political and legislative analyst otherwise. Out of necessity I also had to discern what was between the lines.

All that being said and boiling it down to its basics, clearly some of us who live here have a totally different "take" on things than you do, especially regarding "small town Missouri" in general. That's OK. It's also just the way it's going to be. Different strokes and all that.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM

and just how do you discern what is between the lines, as you are unable to see the person's facial expressions, and or hand gestures. You are just being negative and unless it is you and you alone, no one dare say anything encouraging to someone attempting to relocate to Branson. You claim to be a political analyst, is that in fact self appointed??? Shame on you, why don't you just let people interact and assist each other.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 AM

No, not self-appointed. Actually state-appointed. I have absolutely no problem with people moving into the area. In fact, I welcome them. It's a marvelous place to live. But the reality is, it's not a great fit for everyone and that seems particularly true regarding people from the Left Coast who would want it to become as "progressive" as the place they left and who bemoan the fact that their favorite stores and fast-food chains haven't reached us. They're likely better off staying put and I encourage them to do so. Most of us like this area just the way it is. Do you think that might be why we moved here in the first place. Coming from the Left Coast it's like moving back to America. Some don't care for that.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Congratulations on your state appointed position, although I am not cheering as I myself retired from a state position in the department of mental health. I traveled extensively all over this fair state for my job and my clients. It may ruffle your feathers but it is fact that there really are pockets of ignorance, incest and illiteracy around this fair state, just as there are in several others. I might also ad that it is a statistic that Missouri is the leading state in Developmental disabilities ( perhaps because the incest is so high?) Along with these inabilities comes a deep resentment of outsiders coming in and changing things. ( shall we say fear of the unknown?) However once many of these changes were forced upon them they did not only partake of the benefits but did so with great pleasure.
I lived in one of those unfortunate towns for far too long. I will continue to warn anyone from either coast about that town or any other like it simply because it will save them the expense and heartache of making a move that will most likely be unfortunate for them.
Branson happens to be a progressive community and I still give them full credit for that fact. It offers far more in that community for conveniences which individuals from either coast would be used to having available. In addition the community is full of people who are friendly, welcoming and helpful. Yes, it is a homogeneous community and I suspect that is what makes it far different than what one would normally expect. I personally just cannot say enough good things about either Branson or the people there.

As for going back to America, perhaps you would like to live without running water, indoor plumbing or any electricity. How about let's do away with the convenience of grocery stores and automobiles also?
Here is a point to consider; even the Amish now own automobiles. Gee we just can't seem to keep America in it's infancy!
Here is a flash, those nuclear plants we have around Missouri are definitely NOT coming back to America!
Some folks like to go back to the 1920's or 30's, but usually only because they are so cheap they hate to spend money. For the most part most residents are darn glad for the advancements and conveniences that come to their little "back to America" areas.
You may consider yourself a self appointed expert but, I have dealt with many of you over the years and just because you are unhappy as a person does not give you the right to try and tell anyone else they cannot share information with another.

I said my peace so let's just call a truce I will stay in Branson and you can stay in your little hoot or holler or wherever you are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area