Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM

20 posts, read 58,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Don't move there unless you have your own employment lined up. Don't be fooled by the low cost of living when wages are insanely low.
Yes, I am pleasantly surprised about housing costs. I do have a job lined up...it's about half the wages I'd expect here!!! But, I am planning on downsizing and will budget accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:14 PM

200 posts, read 447,779 times
Be sure to report back on your first politics fueled bar fight

Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 PM

20 posts, read 58,336 times
Dusky, I will report back re my experiences in Branson.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
I'm in Branson on a short vacation. Just out of curiosity, I searched the web for Missouri 2008 election results. I'm certainly no expert at this stuff but, it looks to me like about a third of the voters in the counties around Branson voted for Obama.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM

543 posts, read 855,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I'm in Branson on a short vacation. Just out of curiosity, I searched the web for Missouri 2008 election results. I'm certainly no expert at this stuff but, it looks to me like about a third of the voters in the counties around Branson voted for Obama.
Maybe around Springfield because it's a larger city with people from all over the country, but southern MO is VERY conservative.

Southeast Missouri is also very conservative, but they tend to lean conservative Democrat due to the civil war many were raised to vote democrat down there. However even they didn't favor Obama.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Maybe around Springfield because it's a larger city with people from all over the country, but southern MO is VERY conservative.

Southeast Missouri is also very conservative, but they tend to lean conservative Democrat due to the civil war many were raised to vote democrat down there. However even they didn't favor Obama.
In my opinion only a fool would favor Obama after the disaster he has been.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 15,466 times
[SIZE=3]I don’t live in Branson but I have been there a few times. We go there for family reunions at Table Rock Lake (good place to wakeboard and stand up paddle board) and usually stay in town. I am from San Diego, Ca. Despite being a left coast liberal I’ve never had any problems there with anyone (but like I said, I don’t live there). When we’re there we usually will hang out at [/SIZE]Waxy O'Shea's or the Australian Pub. I’ve had random conversations with locals at these establishments and again never had any issues.[SIZE=3] For the most part, resident and other visitors seem much more polite and courteous than what I’m used to in my own home town. If you DO end up moving there than it would be best to just know that Branson is what Branson is. Stand your ground but be respectful. If you REALLY want to live among people of the liberal mindset because you don’t feel comfortable with the culture and values of Branson and don’t mind commuting an hour or so, you may want to consider residing in Eureka Springs Arkansas. The first time I went’ there I actually felt out of place and almost felt like I WAS the redneck, and I’m from Cali. [/SIZE]

Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf4food View Post
[SIZE=3]The first time I went’ there I actually felt out of place and almost felt like I WAS the redneck, and I’m from Cali. [/SIZE]
Now that had ta take some work!

And how are things in Colombia?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM

9 posts, read 15,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now that had ta take some work!

And how are things in Colombia?
[SIZE=3]Not getting the joke about Colombia, but when we first visited Eureka Springs (it was a little side trip while staying in Branson) we went to this sort of hippy(ish) café and between the employees and the other customers, I think we were the only people in there without dreadlocks and/or Birkenstocks. I don’t remember what the name of the place was but it had decent food. Anyway, my point was that it was my first time being in the “South”, and yet it’s a more liberal town than where I live (San Diego).[/SIZE]

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf4food View Post
[SIZE=3]Not getting the joke about Colombia, but when we first visited Eureka Springs (it was a little side trip while staying in Branson) we went to this sort of hippy(ish) café and between the employees and the other customers, I think we were the only people in there without dreadlocks and/or Birkenstocks. I don’t remember what the name of the place was but it had decent food. Anyway, my point was that it was my first time being in the “South”, and yet it’s a more liberal town than where I live (San Diego).[/SIZE]
You'll have to forgive Crum. As a former left coaster, he turns 6 shades of purple at the mere mention of California. He missed the part where you said you visited and weren't moving here.

And yes, it could be said that Eureka Springs is on the 'fringe' but it's one of our favorite towns. Hard to beat for a romantic getaway in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area