Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

On your other points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Why don't we outlaw the use of Cell Phones whilst driving? Other states have banned them. No such thing, he/she would have to be from the "working class" to give a damn. All these rich old people will always care less about the average Joe's here. This country still thrives on Slavery, have you seen this:
Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_en_tv/us_immigration_take_our_jobs - broken link)

The only difference Now, is that we don't force slaves here anymore, we managed to make them VOLUNTEER (you know, under the "better life" slogan. LOLOL

Why don't we start with Vehicle Inspections to generate more cash for the state? Because most people here work on minimum wage and the rich will never "support it"

Why don't we start ticketing "failure to signal a lane change" to add more cash to the county, municipal, state coffers? Because you'd have to have TONS of cops watching for that. I have a slogan for that, that SHOULD BE ON BILLBOARDS: "SIGNAL OR PAYPAL"

Why don't we post signs on the interstates that say; "Keep right except to Pass"? (New Jersey does this) The ticket revenue can fund the expense! So is PA and most northern States, again, real people live there...people here are way to ignorant, or will not understand it, soon we will have to introduce bilingual traffic signs in Spanish and Creole.

Why don't we re-instate the written drivers test for out of state drivers. I was here in 1991 and had to re-take the written test. Let's reinstate it and oh, let's charge $29.95 for the privileged so we can add to the state coffers. This is done in other states, why not here? In Europe you have to do 30 hours with instructor IN THE CAR, take the written test, then the driving test ONLY if you scored so many points on the written test. In Japan they have simulators like at GameWorks for the driving schools, Germany introduced those in the 90's....Good Luck with that, I am all for it but I don't see it, too many dumb people, no one would pass.....come to think of it, I think the traffic volume would improve greatly.....LOLOLOLOL

Why don't we offer higher insurance discounts to safe drivers? Because insurance companies are GREEDY. they don't care. They are also more preoccupied with my credit history and how many places I have lived than my actual driving. Yet another JOKE!

Why don't we actually enforce un-insured driving penalties? Because Gov here is stupid and doesn't understand that by doing that they'll have more money to fix roads or improve on education etc.

Have I missed anything? Anyone have a creative way of fixing this ? Nope! Sorry. LOL I wish there was. Maybe if I get to be in the Gov, some thing will get DONE, as I could care less about my own popularity and more about what the average Joes have to put up with here.

Oh and by-the-way, why don't we all just start being nice and start caring for one another? Think that might help a little????? Good LUCK WITH THIS ONE! LOLOL HERE IS EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES!

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
My children are never going to be allowed to drive. Never.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM

357 posts, read 799,799 times
Quote:
OMGosh.....now i'm depressed. There doesn't seem to be a glimmer of hope for improving the situation, now is there? How about a new Governor that gives a Rat's ass about improving the quality of life here in Florida? How about we start there and hope there is trickle down through the administration all the way to the DMV.
Unfortunately you can't legislate away stupidity and arrogance.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
How about a new Governor that gives a Rat's ass about improving the quality of life here in Florida?
Al
I think how people drive is near the bottom of our government's "to-do" list - with unemployment, education, oil-spill disasters, hurricane preparedness, illegal immigration, can crime/drug trafficking a little higher on the priority list.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Smile The Fl. Arrogance On Wheels Culture

I must agree with the poster who has driven in numerous states and noticed the same general poor driving and dangerous conditions.

Due to my type of work, I drive to and fro from many airports in many regions of the US. I must say however that some are worse than others. In Fl. there have been times when I have been relieved to be able to get off their roads and into the aircraft. Fl. ranks with the worse IMHO. The central and northwest areas of the US are somewhat better by my observations and the MV law enforcement appears sharper.

Insomuch as various Fl. agencies promote tourism,senior retirement etc. Fl. would do well to clean up the mess their apathetic approach to MV law enforcement has created. The state desires the revenue but fails to understand that for many people sunshine and sand does not supercede civility and safety and practically everything else.

Fl. would benefit greatly to embark on a kind of MV law enforcement surge to weed out the reckless and dangerous drivers who are apparently addicted to that style, as they drive that way every time they are behind the wheel.

There is little doubt that a consorted effort would be required and would require among other things more unmarked traffic patrols--more electronic controls--officers trained to recognize a creep on wheels when they see them, etc.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any improvement in Fl. anytime soon!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
It seems to me the heat is even getting to some cops heads...They aren't using their blinker anymore...

Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM

On my way back home to Pinellas county today, while driving through Tampa on 275, I wondered why it seems to be totally unacceptable for me to drive 65 mph when the posted speed limit is either 50 or 55. That's the speed I normally drive in that area, and people FLY by me. They must be going at least 75 or 80. That's 25 to 30 miles over the speed limit!! If the cops ever paid attention, I think that qualifies as reckless driving.

I was watching for blinkers today because of this thread, and I have to say that, for whatever reason, today seemed to be a good blinker day.

I'm confused about the speed limit issue. Why do we have them? They seem to be totally disregarded by everyone... cops included.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
There's nothing wrong w/ going the speed limit in the righthand lane - just don't try to be the enforcer by blocking the left lane. I see it all the time as if the drivers are trying to teach everyone a lesson.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There's nothing wrong w/ going the speed limit in the righthand lane - just don't try to be the enforcer by blocking the left lane. I see it all the time as if the drivers are trying to teach everyone a lesson.
Nope, I wouldn't do that. I drive in the right if I can, or as far right as I feel is reasonable, given where I know the road is going to divide. I go about 10 over anyway. People don't think that's fast enough I guess.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
I must agree with the poster who has driven in numerous states and noticed the same general poor driving and dangerous conditions.

Due to my type of work, I drive to and fro from many airports in many regions of the US. I must say however that some are worse than others. In Fl. there have been times when I have been relieved to be able to get off their roads and into the aircraft. Fl. ranks with the worse IMHO. The central and northwest areas of the US are somewhat better by my observations and the MV law enforcement appears sharper.

Insomuch as various Fl. agencies promote tourism,senior retirement etc. Fl. would do well to clean up the mess their apathetic approach to MV law enforcement has created. The state desires the revenue but fails to understand that for many people sunshine and sand does not supercede civility and safety and practically everything else.

Fl. would benefit greatly to embark on a kind of MV law enforcement surge to weed out the reckless and dangerous drivers who are apparently addicted to that style, as they drive that way every time they are behind the wheel.

There is little doubt that a consorted effort would be required and would require among other things more unmarked traffic patrols--more electronic controls--officers trained to recognize a creep on wheels when they see them, etc.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any improvement in Fl. anytime soon!
What a well written post. It would serve Florida to launch some type of safe driving campaign, but FL is such a REACTIVE state on so many levels.

TX had a Drive Friendly campaign several years ago which helped.

I did see something good the other day, I notice in Florida people sit and park in fire lanes in shopping centers...LOL...yesterday I saw a cop give two of them tickets(first time). Very inconsiderate to sit there and block other cars as well as those walking through the parking lot.

There is very much a "me first" attitude on the roads and in parking lots here(yes I know it has to due with transplants) but enforcing the laws and writing tickets helps....hit them in the pocketbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay