Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
In my experiences, Most native Floridians I've known weren't well-off by any means and only "made it" by leaving the state.

I do agree with dublin though, most native Floridians only have a H.S. diploma or less and in the FL job market, a H.S. diploma will only get you so much in reguards to work.
Then this must come down to, "Birds of a flock. . . "

Why is it that I have no difficulty in 22 months that I have been here, to meet and come across college educated natives? Especially in this economy, they are pouring out of the woodwork after lay offs left and right.

Some people need to start providing fact/links to back up their theory that "most native Floridians only have a H.S. diploma or less and in the FL job market" and not provide opinion just because you have a salty taste in your mouth about Florida or what you believe you felt you saw in your own neighborhood. What seems, is not always what is.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have never seen so many unskilled labor jobs as there are here. The lawncutters, the pool cleaners are for the most part all white Fl born young men in their 20s.

Coming here from Southern CA you don't see anybody fitting that description cleaning pools and cutting lawns. There the people doing those jobs are not American born.

Here you see people who could and should be doing better than they are, yet they're doing jobs that in other states are done by immigrant workers.

Says a lot about the lack of education here.
This is interesting, you mention so many unskilled labor jobs like lawn cutters and pool cleaners...who do you think OWNS these companies?? Yes, Floridians...I am friends and know of quite a few, and are now making a VERY VERY good living owning these service type businesses in the area...

Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM

976 posts, read 1,112,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
In my experiences, Most native Floridians I've known weren't well-off by any means and only "made it" by leaving the state.

I do agree with dublin though, most native Floridians only have a H.S. diploma or less and in the FL job market, a H.S. diploma will only get you so much in reguards to work.
Not in my family - but a degree doesnt mean a whole lot anyway sometimes. I understand that many FL natives - those left in FL - are not always the most educated. But to act like we are all criminals/sex offenders/white trash (which he does say in some threads) is ridiculous. I watch the news every night. Do you know how many attempted kidnappings I see? Shootings? Robberies? Look at the suspects. Do they look like "white FL natives" to you?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Not in my family - but a degree doesnt mean a whole lot anyway sometimes. I understand that many FL natives - those left in FL - are not always the most educated. But to act like we are all criminals/sex offenders/white trash (which he does say in some threads) is ridiculous. I watch the news every night. Do you know how many attempted kidnappings I see? Shootings? Robberies? Look at the suspects. Do they look like "white FL natives" to you?
Ok so this topic is about educational level of Tampa residents, and you from Orlando, hijack this thread to spread your anti hispanic agenda? The Miami, Broward and Palm Beach board are enough for you? What are you gonna do next? start posting crimes with people's with hispanics last names like you do in other boards?

Anyways, I don't see anything wrong with people doing blue collar jobs. Sometimes those people can actually make more money that those sitting in an office, without having to put up with the corporate America rat race. Not everybody can be a CEO, it's illogical. About the behavior of some Florida natives... Yes it is different, not my cup of tea, they grew up with different values that the people from up north or the west coast, but in their work ethic I give them credit.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 09-21-2009 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM

976 posts, read 1,112,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
Ok so this topic is about educational level of Tampa residents, and you from Orlando, hijack this thread to spread your anti hispanic agenda? The Miami, Broward and Palm Beach board are enough for you? What are you gonna do next? start posting crimes with people's with hispanics last names like you do in other boards?

Anyways, I don't see anything wrong with people doing blue collar jobs. Sometimes those people can actually make more money that those sitting in an office, without having to put up with the corporate America rat race. Not everybody can be a CEO, it's illogical. About the behavior of some Florida natives... Yes it is different, not my cup of tea, they grew up with different values that the people from up north or the west coast, but in their work ethic I give them credit.

That was exactly my point. I just said, "but a degree doesnt mean a whole lot anyway sometimes"... did you not see that one too? I am responding to someone who says all "white" FL natives do landscaping and odd jobs. I didnt even mention race until someone else said what they always say about white Floridians - they are all uneduacted, they dont know what they are doing with their lives, they are all uninsured, DUI driving hillbillies... I'm definitely going to respond to those claims as I have done time and time again. You obviously didnt read the other posts. The person I responded to also said that "white FL natives" are doing all the crime in other posts. But obviously you didnt read those either before posting.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:58 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Why do so many only see the negative things...but maybe they see everything negative in their life and are a part of the study for which I have posted the link....

Me and luckily other posters see the nice side of Florida, with nice weather, opportunities and many other great things. I'm enjoying living in Paradise!

Study: 8 million Americans consider suicide | Ron Paul Wins! | Campaign for Liberty at the Daily Paul (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:UxayDbHE0uYJ:www.dailypaul.com/node/107611+millions+of+americans+want+to+commit+suicid e&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
[quote=bentlebee;10854374]Why do so many only see the negative things...but maybe they see everything negative in their life and are a part of the

Old 09-22-2009, 01:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
This is interesting, you mention so many unskilled labor jobs like lawn cutters and pool cleaners...who do you think OWNS these companies?? Yes, Floridians...I am friends and know of quite a few, and are now making a VERY VERY good living owning these service type businesses in the area...

Yes some are making a good living. Yet some still have resentment. We had guy come out to trim some trees and he was dumb enough to complain about "yankees" .

He has a business with a couple of trucks and 6 employees and yet he insults and makes comments about his customer base.

Not too smart. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Wouldn't use him again and have let people know about his comments.

They're a dime a dozen here. And yes it is unsilled labor.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Have to disagree on this one.

I own a residential service provider. In the service industry, its not been about who is the most uneducated that can get the job done, it's been about who can get the job done for LESS. Who had made it that way? American households that employ said services.

Many homes now request - and I quote, "American workers only." I employ 100% American workers and pay them quite well. I do background checks on all of my applicants and do not have any employed with me currently without a High School education. In fact, I have one with her Bachelor's degree working for me for $14/hr - doing a job that you would consider to be an "illegal's job."

I am not the only service that makes a practice of this. It started spreading like wildfire about 4 years ago when I was living back in Scottsdale/Fountain Hills, AZ when Sheriff Joe Arpaio went on a manhunt for illegal aliens to take them into custody. Rightfully so, the jobs belong to the legals. I go to enough client homes to see who their landscapers and pool guys are. . . I am not seeing a decrease in "American workers," in fact, there is a huge increase.

Has nothing to do with "education." Legally speaking, there is more behind it than you are obviously aware. So, seriously, do not even drag this topic of education into home service providers being quite so ignorant about it with your stereotypes and racism.
You're the one who is being racist. I am stating a fact, you don't seen in Southern CA white guys cleaning pools and mowing lawns.

I will agree people do hire the cheapest labor. In CA you see latinos who are not American born doing that type of work. That is a fact, nothing to do with being racist.

I am not saying it is right, I am just telling like it is.

In this economy there are most likely educated people doing unskilled labor jobs, but do you honestly think your colleged educated worker would stick with you for $14 an hour if she could find a job using her degree?

People don't go to college and spend the time and the money so they can clean houses and pools or mow lawns.

You only hire American born workers and your calling people racist?LOL.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're the one who is being racist. I am stating a fact, you don't seen in Southern CA white guys cleaning pools and mowing lawns.

I will agree people do hire the cheapest labor. In CA you see latinos who are not American born doing that type of work. That is a fact, nothing to do with being racist.

I am not saying it is right, I am just telling like it is.

In this economy there are most likely educated people doing unskilled labor jobs, but do you honestly think your colleged educated worker would stick with you for $14 an hour if she could find a job using her degree?

People don't go to college and spend the time and the money so they can clean houses and pools or mow lawns.

You only hire American born workers and your calling people racist?LOL.
You are right and what will be next...based on religion, based on political views, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay