Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am sorry, but what makes you think "unskilled work" is worthless? if it's so unskilled then why not dig the hole yourself???? why should someone put that effort for free? that someone has to put dinner on the table too! it is really insulting that in this society some think that because a job doesn't require a 4 year degree it's not worth being paid for the effort that's being put in!!!!!!! WOW!

You apparently post a lot on this forum, but your reading comprehension must be at a pre-school level. Show me where I said "free".

Read my post again.

I offered the unskilled work for bid.

I received offers at $100-200/hour. Not free.

I DID THE WORK MYSELF.

They received nothing. To follow your reasoning, yes, they and their family can starve for all I care. If they don't want to drop their prices to a reasonable level, they will continue to lay people off. That's not my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

I offered the unskilled work for bid. why should their time not be compensated?

I received offers at $100-200/hour. Not free. right, how far do you think that $100/$200 goes exactly? because I go to Publix and spend $100 and I'm not even getting enough food for the week!!!! you don't really expect these people to eat a big mac every day do you? cause if you do, then don't wonder why health insurance is where it is today!

I DID THE WORK MYSELF. GOOD!

They received nothing. To follow your reasoning, yes, they and their family can starve for all I care. Nice to know there are still nice people around! your respect for other's work is stricking! If they don't want to drop their prices to a reasonable level, they will continue to lay people off. That's not my problem.
Are we going back to slavery??? IT IS people like you who are keeping the economy from recovering!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
"B"...........in my job from time to time I need assistants, they all got paid VERY WELL for their time.......

When I'll change fields and will need to employ more people I will do exactly what I said I was going to do......there's absolutely nothing wrong with what I said.........

As far as the politicians go.........what can I say, it's been a while since I have heard 1 of them take a stand & talk about changing something that is detrimental or that is going downhill in our society/country (such as education, health care, gun usage, etc etc etc)....usually we hear about their infidelities more! also, these people in the House etc, are all making 6 figures and could care less that Joe Shmo doesn't have health insurance, selfishness is at a premium, I think they probably award themselves each year with "the most selfish award"....kinda like the Oscars!.......I am 1 person, and I would be 1 Employer, until they all realize that they need to show respect to the people who make them money NOTHING WILL CHANGE DUDE! and it is SAD! because this really has nothing to do with politics, it is all part of the same common sense!

People need to understand that "personality wise" some people are meant to be employees forever and some are made to be employers, either way if neither is willing to respect the others work and time things will only progress towards the worst.......employees will show no motivation and QUALITY of work will decrease..........no one will win!

here's something to "look forward" too!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100310/ap_on_an/us_power_and_debt_analysis (broken link)

Last edited by algia; 03-11-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
I guess this may be a subject for another thread, but Ive heard the horror stories about wal mart, yet I still see people who have been working there for years.

Could you just a little expand on treatment, the way they pay and do biz.

I would think you come to work. Do your job. Go home. What "treatment" is being presented during the work day? Do they yell at people? Berate people? Insult people? Pay. I guess they don't pay much, but what are they going to do? Pay a person $12.00 an hour to stock the shelves or $12.00 an hour to run a cash register? $12.00 to mop the floor? I don't know where it actually begins and ends, but I would like to know.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'll say what I always do: Money drives the machine. I don't agree with Wal-Mart, the way they treated me when I worked there, the way they pay their employees, or the way they do business, so instead of just talking about how much I hate them, I haven't spent a dime there in over two years. IF we figure out a way to stop supporting the companies that pay the lowest, boycott them, and tell them exactly why, they'll have to raise salary or close up shop. Just my two cents.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Florida's unemployment problem is really simple. The economy in Florida is based off of tourism. Guess what, tourism is down. I continue to think that the highest unemployment rates are at the entry level job positions, it seems Florida has tons of entry level jobs (retail, hotel, restaurant, entertainment, etc). I am sure this is based on your tourism industry. Those that are unemployed in Florida need to use the extra time they have to learn new skills in different industries. Of course this doesn't guarantee that you will get a job, but I would like to think it would increase your chances.

I don't know. I am really looking forward to moving down in July, but if it continues to get worse and worse I may just have to head to my divisions headquarters in Austin where they currently have one of the best economies in the nation.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM

How about agriculture? Check out these facts:
Overview of Florida Agriculture: Marketing Florida Agriculture

It's not smoke and mirros. You are incorrect that the bulk of the "economic engie is not based on anything concrete". You are looking at a segment (tourism/service) without considering the whole.

Tourism has ALWAYS been a Florida mainstay since Henry Plant brought the railroad down here. Yes, tourism does rate highly, but it sure aint everything. Housing? Every state in the union has housing. Every state in the union has suffered from OVERINFLATED OUT OF PROPORTION home prices. Suddenly ever little dumpy house was worth $250,000 and people were willing to pay. I know a guy in Orlando who bought a house for 65,000.00 in the early 90's A small 3 bedroom, 1 bath. He did some work on it, new roof, new driveway, some landscaping, hey it was home for 15 years. Then he sold it in 2005 for $244,900. Somebody paid that for that house. So, multiply that by the thousands of people who took out ridiculous mortgages and signed their lives away because that $244,900 would be $344,900 in a couple of years (based on the way things were going). So they took a bath and well, there went housing in Florida. Housing is produced because people want to live in FL.

Yes, to start, tourism and service jobs pay lousy. Employers get what they pay for. If you are a hard working valuable employee to that tourism or service company you will do well. If you remain a menial you will be paid as a menial. What's the problem with that? People getting paid for based on their worth and not what the "union" feels the person should be paid or some ridiculous demand by the unskilled workers.

There are a lot of well paid people in the tourism industry. Disney, Seaworld, Universal Studios, all pay their mechanics, animation people and administrative base quite well. The guy/gal in a white pair or pants carrying a dust pan and a broom is going to get paid what they are worth.
The guy/gal at McDonalds who always screws up the drive thru order is going to get paid what they are worth.

However, a guy who fixes your plumbing gets $100 an hour because he has a skill. You pay it because you can't do that service. Same with appliance repair people, other trades persons. They make good money for what they do. Somebody punching a ticket at Disney world is not.
Simple as that.

Florida was doing quite well for decades. Now the whole country is in a depression (yeah, nobody will use that word, but what it is what it is).
Now the chips are down and Florida has a bad rap becuase of the morons who bought houses for extreme prices, took out extremely risky and dangerous mortgages and then decided since they are "under water" they should walk away and do something else.

You said "This may be more of a national problem-the manufacturing base is disappearing along with the decent, middle class wages. I can just picture a cabal of capitalists gleefully anticipating a permanent working underclass to exploit, free from Unions and with millions of unemployed willing to do anything and accept any wage just to have a job"

You don't think so? I do. Capitalists are in it for their money. Not your well being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Florida's economy is based on smoke and mirrors. The bulk of the economic engine is not based on anything concrete and durable-it's based on abstract "things" and services-tourism and perpetual, unregulated population expansion. The moment there's any drop off of tourists or housing slows, the whole house of cards collapses. Sure, housing is produced at a sickening rate, but hopefully that's not going to go on forever. Florida has never produced much of a tangible nature and has relied on a service economy-doing stuff for people they don't want to do. It's hard to export services, more of a local thing. For the most part, tourism and service jobs pay squat, but if enough people are employed, Florida will stumble along. When these start to decline, there's nothing to fall back on.
This may be more of a national problem-the manufacturing base is disappearing along with the decent, middle class wages. I can just picture a cabal of capitalists gleefully anticipating a permanent working underclass to exploit, free from Unions and with millions of unemployed willing to do anything and accept any wage just to have a job.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM

You've got it! If people come to Florida and the best they can offer an employer is their good looks, then they are going to wind up in entry level work and hopefully learn enough to move up the ladder. Otherwise, they should certainly learn new skills which would make them more valuable to an employer.

So for those who need entry level, good luck because the dumbing down of the society over the years has left you with that. Unless you were/are one of the ones who don't wait for it to be handed to you but go to work for it.

Texas seems to be doing really good. Austin, San Antonio. Makes you wonder why. Its because there is more high tech stuff going on in these places than there is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Florida's unemployment problem is really simple. The economy in Florida is based off of tourism. Guess what, tourism is down. I continue to think that the highest unemployment rates are at the entry level job positions, it seems Florida has tons of entry level jobs (retail, hotel, restaurant, entertainment, etc). I am sure this is based on your tourism industry. Those that are unemployed in Florida need to use the extra time they have to learn new skills in different industries. Of course this doesn't guarantee that you will get a job, but I would like to think it would increase your chances.

I don't know. I am really looking forward to moving down in July, but if it continues to get worse and worse I may just have to head to my divisions headquarters in Austin where they currently have one of the best economies in the nation.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM

You could have gotten some immigrants at Home Depot for about $10 an hour. Who were you calling for unskilled labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Well, they didn't get anything from me, as I ended up doing the work myself. Supply and demand is still in effect, and if they don't drop their prices enough to spur demand, the massive unemployment rates (especially among contractors) will continue.

Let me reiterate: this was not for skilled labor, as I am paying well for structural engineers, etc, as they provide a service that is needed and is worth every penny (what's the cost of a collapsed wall?). The quotes I was getting was for raw, unskilled labor. Digging fenceposts and trenches, putting up fence, moving building materials, etc.

I have no sympathy for contractors going hungry if they aren't willing to drop their prices in times like these, just to stay busy.

$0/hour is a heck of a lot less than $100-200. Let 'em starve!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Are we going back to slavery??? IT IS people like you who are keeping the economy from recovering!
I'm promoting slavery by offering people money to do work?

You sound poor.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post

That might be a smart move. At least you'll be colser to Florida when things turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay