Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM

36 posts, read 63,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
And I've lived here all my life and those are some of the reasons I want to leave. But I've said it before: By far the biggest reason I want to leave is the miserable summer weather. I can easily put up with all the rest, and have no desire to try to change any of it. What I hate the most about living here is the one thing no one can change!
if i didnt know any better, id swear that i posted that. im going to graduate next year and after that ill start looking for jobs in a cooler climate. not to mention ive never felt welcome here despite being here all my life for being a left-leaning atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Tennesseans have it good. It's not too hot and it is not too cold. Live in south Florida and New England for several years and you will know what I mean. I was just telling my mother - who still lives in Mass - that the other day. I have never heard such complaining about the weather!
have you seen the weather lately? i dont know how it was in knoxville but for half of june around nashville it was upper 90s and humidity causing heat indexes in the mid 100s, and its not even august yet

Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie&theBlowfish View Post
if i didnt know any better, id swear that i posted that. im going to graduate next year and after that ill start looking for jobs in a cooler climate. not to mention ive never felt welcome here despite being here all my life for being a left-leaning atheist.

have you seen the weather lately? i dont know how it was in knoxville but for half of june around nashville it was upper 90s and humidity causing heat indexes in the mid 100s, and its not even august yet
I use to live in southwest Florida. To them, this is a cold front. And no, I'm not kidding. Move down there to the subtropics and you will find the meaning to the words "heat index" and "possibly fatal dewpoint."

I've know more than a few Tennessee natives that complained about the area, until they moved away. But it is good to explore. Maybe there is a better place out there for you. If so, I hope you find it.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 PM

36 posts, read 63,648 times
Quote:
I use to live in southwest Florida. To them, this is a cold front. And no, I'm not kidding. Move down there to the subtropics and you will find the meaning to the words "heat index" and "possibly fatal dewpoint."

I've know more than a few Tennessee natives that complained about the area, until they moved away. But it is good to explore. Maybe there is a better place out there for you. If so, I hope you find it.
ive been around there for vacation many times. i certainly dont miss that humidity.

i might end up missing the region but the weather kills it for me and would give me good reason not to move back. im basically suffering every summer and im tired of it. some people may like it but its just not for me, i like cool summers, and snow in the winters.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie&theBlowfish View Post
ive been around there for vacation many times. i certainly dont miss that humidity.

i might end up missing the region but the weather kills it for me and would give me good reason not to move back. im basically suffering every summer and im tired of it. some people may like it but its just not for me, i like cool summers, and snow in the winters.
I'm from Massachusetts. You might want to try that. It's very beautiful!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
My only weather complaint was no rain. Wondering if there'd be a second cutting... i've got all my hay, but I remember the drought and what it did to the ag community. I'm LIKIN' this shower today! So's the garden :0)

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Actually most northerners I meet are at least as nice and friendly as the southerners I know. I see an exception occasionally, but it's extremely rare.
That's nice to hear! I had someone say "you don't seem like your from the north, your not rude! Well Geez , Thanks, I think!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. You too. I thought that was only Phyll! Whats with all the bovinephobia.

I hope you point out that little fact to them.
Ok truth is I had a cow lick my hand months ago while trying to feed it grass, I screamed , the cow ran, and since then haven't been that close to one, I did not know the tongue felt like sandpaper , and ok I didn't grow up around cows , stop laughing! my grandaughter who was 5 then, said Grandma , what's wrong with you? as she continued feeding another cow. What can I say...

Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop93 View Post
We need more folks like you my friend

That's the attitude people need when deciding to move to the Volunteer State

Amen.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I am originally from NY and I love living in TN. I admit when I first came here I went through some culture shock, lol. I did not want TN to change...I wanted me to change and fit in. I still tend to do things in hyper mode. The friends I have made here have taught me to slow down, well at least a little, lol, and enjoy. We can all learn so many things from one another if we keep an open mind. I think if an outsider moves here or anywhere different from where they are from it is very important for the outsider to keep an open mind.

I love living in a small town where everyone knows me and stops to chat

Some people move here thinking they can change TN people...well why would you want to move to a place that you can't accept for the way it is? I have no desire to change anything here.

phyll and mrs1885- I love the cow stories. I also know the great feeling when you can finally get close enough to touch a cow, lol, and yeah their tongues are a little strange

Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
For all I know I may move some day and find that Tennessee was the ideal climate for me after all, but that's hard to imagine. When it's 75 out I'm already uncomfortable. When it's 25 I'm perfectly fine. Up until recently I commuted to work and everywhere else by bicycle, plus I have worked in un-airconditioned warehouses for the last six years. I can handle cold faaaar more easily than heat. On a bicycle I found that I would be sweating if it was over 55 degrees, yet I was perfectly comfortable riding when it was 3 degrees with a windchill well under 0. That being said, there's no way I would move to, say, Billings Montana. There's still a limit to how cold I prefer! But there's no way on earth I'd intentionally move to Houston or Fort Myers (although lately they haven't been much warmer than us ) Where I would be most likely to move to would probably be Oregon or Washington. Every day when it's 90+ here I check other cities around the country to see where I might like to live. This June it was actually pretty rare for me to find a place that was very much hotter than here. Oh sure, Death Valley would be hotter, but the heat index there would usually be less or only slightly more than ours. And fairly often in winter I'd check the weather conditions of several cities in New England, and usually they wouldn't be much colder than here. And when they were it would be a temperature that isn't that bad to me (like low 20s, occasionally high teens). I guess I'll have to see for myself, but I'm absolutely in misery here for 6-7 months out of the year, and there must be some place I'd like better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
That's nice to hear! I had someone say "you don't seem like your from the north, your not rude! Well Geez , Thanks, I think!
Sometimes I think people are just indoctrinated to assume all northerners are rude, because I have very rarely seen anything but friendly people from the north in my life. Maybe they're just trying to be as friendly as possible because they're living here and think they need to be nice to fit in? I'm not sure. All I know is when I meet someone who is especially friendly and polite, they're very rarely southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee