Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:21 PM

43 posts, read 154,188 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong,I have no issues with respectful newcomers but.,....

(I don't want to start a flame war......This is just my observation)

I've seen new people move here and then want to complain about our way of living and the way we do things.

New people come and then complain about us being so Conservative and "redneck".

New people come and then complain because Tennessee in predominately Christian and not afraid say it (not me).

New people come and then try to change us because they realize they don't fit into the "down-home country living" lifestyle they imagined.

We Tennesseans try our damnedest to go out of our way with our Southern hospitality but have mercy on us if we do it with a Dixie Tradition t-shirt on.

Our way of life was established decades ago by those "hillbillies" that you like to talk crap about.......If you don't like it - LEAVE!

To those who came here and respected our culture and way of life.....Bless you.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Well...I've been here for five years. I'm a Yankee with a Yankee/Floridian husband and a Southern daughter.

We love it here. We moved here because we wanted to live in this sort of lifestyle. I'm not religious but I don't mind seeing a church on every corner and the occasional enormous cross on the side of the road. I expected this. It's the Bible Belt. If you didn't think it would be this way, you are an idiot. Sorry, but you are.

I'm a liberal but I am grateful that the people around here don't mind or look down upon me because of what I believe. I knew I was moving to a conservative state. That's okay. The country was founded on checks and balances and is a democracy that is made up of people with different opinions. That's what makes America, America.

I love the people but I am very friendly and enjoy constantly chatting with folks. I love the politeness of people here. I love that people go the speed limit and let others out into traffic. I love to wave at strangers and I love that no one thinks I'm odd for doing that. They simply smile and wave back.

I feel your frustration. I really wish people wouldn't move here and then complain. If I wanted rude and pretentious I could have stayed in Florida.

Please, Tennesseans, don't change a darn thing. Chalk up the occasional moronic transplant as someone that will eventually move away. Smile, shake your head, pity them, then move on.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM

43 posts, read 154,188 times
We need more folks like you my friend

That's the attitude people need when deciding to move to the Volunteer State

Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,475 times
Default Why do so many live herr

I moved from up North to TN 3yrs ago,I want folks to know when we moved here, we had NO intentios on "changing anyone or thing. It is up to the newcomers to adjust to the way things are.As far as religion, we were pleased to see the LAST SUPPER picture in the school and hope they never change it. I think the north could use some of conservative lifestyle.The peolpe here have been very friendly and kind to us.I am also blessed with friends whom we joke of our differences. "When in Rome do as the Romans do... p.s I have learned alot living here too!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
p.s I have learned alot living here too!
Yes. Phyll learned that although cows sneak up on her when she is not looking, they are probably not going to attack her. Well, we think so, anyway.

Bishop: Your kind words deeply touched me.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
We've picked TN for our future home because we know all to well what it's like to live in a state that is controlled by liberal politicians and the urban political machines.

We're just fortunate that we have the financial means to live well in spite of them but many others in the working and middle classes, not so much.

When I bolt from the corporate scene, we won't be bringing any of that with us to inflict on TN'ans

Promise.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes. Phyll learned that although cows sneak up on her when she is not looking, they are probably not going to attack her. Well, we think so, anyway.

Bishop: Your kind words deeply touched me.
And I STILL love the cows! Now I am lucky to have a few across the road!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
There are many who move here an just love it because they know what to expect and that is exactly what they are looking for. I think they transform into southerners without even realizing it.

Others, those who complain and itch to change things, after reading soo many of the "I want to move" threads, I think some folks believe in Mayberry. The things they look for are 1. cheap land, with mountain views and crystal streams 2. low taxes with low crime, good schools, 3. rural with plenty of close shopping and restaraunts, cable, trash pickup, recycling, internet service 4. friendly hometown neighbors but not religious conservatives, oh, and jobs, low humidity, warm weather, little snow and no traffic. Once they realize these things are oxymorons or fairytales they become disgruntled and complain.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are many who move here an just love it because they know what to expect and that is exactly what they are looking for. I think they transform into southerners without even realizing it.

Others, those who complain and itch to change things, after reading soo many of the "I want to move" threads, I think some folks believe in Mayberry. The things they look for are 1. cheap land, with mountain views and crystal streams 2. low taxes with low crime, good schools, 3. rural with plenty of close shopping and restaraunts, cable, trash pickup, recycling, internet service 4. friendly hometown neighbors but not religious conservatives, oh, and jobs, low humidity, warm weather, little snow and no traffic. Once they realize these things are oxymorons or fairytales they become disgruntled and complain.

2 Mares, you are so right. They all move here and want their version of Utopia and when they don't find it they blame the natives. Me, as a yankee transplant, I love Tennessee just the way it is. I love the culture, the people and the way of life. I wouldn't change a thing about my new home state. We've been here 4 years now and as each season passes I love it even more.
But I can understand Bishop's frustration, I feel it too on this board with some of the more ignorant observations and "I thoughts" that people write here. Sometimes I think people come on a message board and say whatever rude insulting thing that they would never say in real life polite society and then wonder why they aren't accepted or accuse southerners of a lack of southern hospitality. We all see it every day on this message board and then folks wonder why they aren't accepted or even resented? Of course they never realize it is themselves and the vibes they give off because they are here, they arrived and everyone must bend over backwards for them.
Pam

Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I can't tell you how happy I am to find others on here that feel the way I do. I've complained on here so many times. I'm so sick of people moving here exclaiming 'it's so perfect here! We just need to buy this farm and chop it into stupid little lots and put up a gate and make a little subdivision and get a recycling plant on the corner and..............' If you don't like it exactly the way it is, it's not perfect and I don't want you here.

I moved here terrified of cows. Had only seen them for real one time and it was not a good experience. Since then, I've learned to love them! I've spent four years trying to make friends with the ones across the street and finally about a month and a half ago, one of them let me pet him. You'd have think I'd just won the lottery!

I love my micro tiny farming community and I don't want anything to change. I love our tiny schools where the kids are still allowed to have prayer if they choose. I'm not a big religious person, but it's not hurting me if they pray so let them! I hate hunting too (could never do it myself) but I'm not going to stop someone else from feeding their family.

Tennessee is perfect the way it is. Those that don't think so need to get the **** out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee