Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times

Advertisements

I agree, Lamp. I'm appalled, and I'm a born and breed southerner back to the settlers of VA & TN. Good grief!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
How yuns doing?

I'm originally from NY, but moved to FL when I was 6. This was a very long time ago when FL was a different place. I lived in Jupiter, FL when there was nothing but a Big Dollar store and we had to go over to Tequesta to do our grocery shopping. I don't even recognized the place anymore. My husband was born and raised in Melbourne, FL and lived with all the rednecks on Turkey Creek before all the over development. I truly believe if it were not for air conditioning FL would never have become so overpopulated. Now, they are all moving here.
People in FL can be very rude and usually keep to themselves. My culture shock was standing in the grocery line and people turning around and speaking to me. The first time this happened I almost didn't answer, because I wasn't use to people being so friendly. I have learned to be patient and not worry if I was going to be late because the cashier and the customer were in deep conversation. Now I usually join in.
This summer was pretty hot. It's the first time I ran my A/C before August, but believe me it is nothing compared to the FL heat. The summers are the worst, but it really doesn't get comfortable until Dec.

Preciate ya!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Let's get back to the original topic of the thread, please.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-21-2010, 12:50 PM

25 posts, read 43,394 times
The reason so many want to move here is no state tax, friendly people, beautiful scenery, nice weather, good jobs, and moonshine (lol). Been here 5 years and love everything about the area. Wouldn't change a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop93 View Post
Don't get me wrong,I have no issues with respectful newcomers but.,....

(I don't want to start a flame war......This is just my observation)

I've seen new people move here and then want to complain about our way of living and the way we do things.

New people come and then complain about us being so Conservative and "redneck".

New people come and then complain because Tennessee in predominately Christian and not afraid say it (not me).

New people come and then try to change us because they realize they don't fit into the "down-home country living" lifestyle they imagined.

We Tennesseans try our damnedest to go out of our way with our Southern hospitality but have mercy on us if we do it with a Dixie Tradition t-shirt on.

Our way of life was established decades ago by those "hillbillies" that you like to talk crap about.......If you don't like it - LEAVE!

To those who came here and respected our culture and way of life.....Bless you.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Why does so many people what to live here?

Because the grammar police are apparently on extended vacation.

j/k

Gorgeous countryside, low housing costs, no state income tax, college and professional sports teams...

Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I've found Tennesseans to be the best and politest drivers I've ever encountered. Watching people stop and let others into traffic never gets old. Maybe it depends on where you live. I'm referring to the Knoxville area.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I visited Washington state last month, and I tried to compare the drivers there to those here in Murfreesboro. My overall impression was that, on average, people seemed to drive faster there, but they also seemed to be better drivers. Here you may get behind someone going 25 in a 40, and someone will pass you going 60. There it seemed they were all just going fast. I saw a LOT more turn signals, much less tailgating, and heard less horn honking. Something else I never really noticed here until I got back from another state: A lot of people here simply cannot stay in their lanes. On a long, sweeping turn, you'll have numerous cars drifting onto the shoulder, median, or into other lanes. I don't recall seeing any drivers who were especially friendly or accommodating to other drivers (such as stopping to let others out into traffic), but they were considerably more watchful and accommodating toward cyclists and pedestrians. I guess they have to be because there are a lot more people walking and cycling there. Basically, when I got back home and drove somewhere for the first time, it felt like a city that had grown faster than its drivers' abilities. Murfreesboro seemed pretty chaotic in comparison.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Location: Hate VT & hopefully moving back South someday which can't come soon enough
34 posts, read 43,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why does so many people what to live here?

Because the grammar police are apparently on extended vacation.

j/k

Gorgeous countryside, low housing costs, no state income tax, college and professional sports teams...
I have a question, if there's no state income tax how does TN get the money? Do they charge higher for something else?

For example, here in VT we have a state income tax and I think it costs us $65 to register our cars. In NH where there's no state income tax it could cost them $500 to register. I can't remember exactly what I was told but it was something like they had a fee to register and a town tax added onto it that went by the value of the car.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Tennessee has a sales tax, and in some areas it's quite high. Here in Rutherford County, I believe it's almost 10%. Car registration fees vary for each county as well, but here it's about $86.50 after you add the $10 for emissions inspection. And of course there are property taxes, though I think ours are pretty low compared to a lot of places.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Most counties have a wheel tax that is added to the cost of renewing your tags, it's typically 30-35 dollars, but the whole thing is still well under 100 bucks per vehicle, 50-60 dollars in most places. There is no additional tax on vehicles if there is no change of ownership.

Sales tax is also another source of revenue- most places in TN have anywhere from 8-10% in sales tax on all purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee