Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think that is one of the biggest adjustments I see people going thru when they move here. It takes awhile to adjust to that slow pace people think they want. It can often take a few weeks or longer for the plumber, cable guy, bulldozer, etc. to actually come out or even call back. You have to accept that getting in the hay or putting your cows back up is more important than getting to that service call. Its a fact of life that if you are in a hurry you will get behind a tractor or hay truck or some old big ear fart or blue hair lady Sunday driving. Just take a deep breath and repeat serenity now, serenity now. Everything closes early and opens late on sunday if at all.

Just about all locals will wave at you when they pass you while driving. People will stope in the middle of the road to chat and perfect strangers will talk to you for no reason and sometimes tell you more than you want to know. My northern relatives still have a had time with that. They always ask me who was that and I say I dont know!
Yes! This is what makes TN perfect for me, too. Some people don't see the charm in all of that and just shouldn't move here, but for me it never, ever gets old.

Mrs1885, I can't agree with you more. It's hot here. It's CRAZY hot, times a gazillion, in southwest Florida. Lamplighter, do not even attend a wedding in the summer. It may just kill you!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lamplighter, do not even attend a wedding in the summer. It may just kill you!
I actually have told several friends that if they have an outdoor summer wedding, they might as well count me out!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I actually have told several friends that if they have an outdoor summer wedding, they might as well count me out!
Smart girl! And I hope you know I wasn't teasing you. Sometime people cannot handle the heat and if you get in a place like that you can get very, very sick.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,561 times
Quote:
I think that is one of the biggest adjustments I see people going thru when they move here. It takes awhile to adjust to that slow pace people think they want. It can often take a few weeks or longer for the plumber, cable guy, bulldozer, etc. to actually come out or even call back. You have to accept that getting in the hay or putting your cows back up is more important than getting to that service call. Its a fact of life that if you are in a hurry you will get behind a tractor or hay truck or some old big ear fart or blue hair lady Sunday driving. Just take a deep breath and repeat serenity now, serenity now. Everything closes early and opens late on sunday if at all.

Just about all locals will wave at you when they pass you while driving. People will stope in the middle of the road to chat and perfect strangers will talk to you for no reason and sometimes tell you more than you want to know. My northern relatives still have a had time with that. They always ask me who was that and I say I dont know!
I admit peolpe waving a waving was a BIG adjustment, as was peolpe when they say HEY insteadof HI or HELLO I was raised saying HEY was rude, or Hay(hey) is for horses, when I got here my daughter made a friend, he say HEY to me, well I told him he was rude till I found out that is a hello here

Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I admit peolpe waving a waving was a BIG adjustment, as was peolpe when they say HEY insteadof HI or HELLO I was raised saying HEY was rude, or Hay(hey) is for horses, when I got here my daughter made a friend, he say HEY to me, well I told him he was rude till I found out that is a hello here
No HI-dees?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post

lol, I'm imagining this guy walking off thinking "What did I say? What did I SAY?"

Glad you survived the hey's and cows, Phyll.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
No HI-dees?
NEVER heard that one!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM

[quote=RamblinRoseRanch;15020728]lol, I'm imagining this guy walking off thinking "What did I say? What did I SAY?"

Glad you survived the hey's and cows, Phyll. [/QUOTE
ok what's scary is I SAY hey too now sometimes! and obce I found out hey was normal I feltreal BAD for that guy! I was embarresssed !

Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,272 times
lol, no reason to feel embarrassed. Now, when we were down around Market Square several months ago and I ran across a new (to me, anyway) parking meter and started to push the pink button, thinking it was high tech....luckily BEFORE I discovered it was bubblegum... now THAT'S something to be embarrassed about!

So, have you started a conversation with 'how's your mama and them?' yet?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 43,247 times
This is great for me because my family and I are going to move to TN someday kinda soon and this tells me a lot. I got on here and read all of the negative and thought the same thing as you have all been saying. Why would the people move there and then hate the people that have lived there for many familys over? I love all of the things you say people hate, thats how it is were I am now and thats what we are looking to keep by moveing there. But I have lived most my life outside of city life. I always think its funny when somebody visiting family drives down my rode and looks surprized when I wave at them. People who you dont know just tell you thing here to and its really hot as well. But its not so green, mostly dry and brown but when its 120 in the summer hot is just f****** hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee