Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 PM

14 posts, read 37,638 times

Advertisements

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posting on this subject, and have a good idea of what to expect in TN, and what southern hospitality truly is. Growing up in Southern California, people are RUDE, ignorant, selfish and ALWAYS in a hurry! I was so thankful when my parents moved me to Colorado (once I realized it really was for my own good-they weren't just telling me that for no good reason). Now Colorado is becoming the same. We moved from the eastern plans to the central mountains, thinking it would be slower paced and more conservative. Not a chance! The weekends wreak havoc on us! There is SO much traffic; people are LITERALLY trying to kill each other to get back to the cities on the Front Range. Californians are taking over Colorado and it is such a shame. So I can understand the concern for that. We are moving to Middle TN June 2011, and it couldn't get here soon enough! I've never experienced Southern hospitality, but it sure sounds wonderful! I promise that I won't come there trying to change *A DARN THING* and I am going to love it all just as it is!!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

243 posts, read 274,953 times
I've been readin this forum for a little while now and have noticed how much attention Tennessee is getting from lots of other places in the country, an that's a big part of the reason I'm leavin. It's just too sad to watch the place ya grew up in be turned into something I don't recognize.(btw I'm not telling ya where I'm headin) I know the place I'm headin might, could, or will end up the same way eventually,but maybe not as fast. My family's been here since before Tn became a state I've never lived anywhere else. I've heard lots of people talk about "how nice the people are" I've heard that alot from the people that moved here just before they'd make a comment on how stupid we were, that's why if I hear a yankee accent an that includes california, I won't be completely rude, but I'm sure not inviting em over for supper. I'm fed up with bein friendly only to be talked down to. I guess this is a rant (sorry bout that) but anyways Welcome to Tennessee!!! Enjoy yourselves, I'm sure I will where ever I am, away from yall. At least until ya screw Tn royally an end up there too. But thats ok yall can have a mass exodus from here an then I can come back.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:05 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
I've been readin this forum for a little while now and have noticed how much attention Tennessee is getting from lots of other places in the country, an that's a big part of the reason I'm leavin. It's just too sad to watch the place ya grew up in be turned into something I don't recognize.(btw I'm not telling ya where I'm headin) I know the place I'm headin might, could, or will end up the same way eventually,but maybe not as fast. My family's been here since before Tn became a state I've never lived anywhere else. I've heard lots of people talk about "how nice the people are" I've heard that alot from the people that moved here just before they'd make a comment on how stupid we were, that's why if I hear a yankee accent an that includes california, I won't be completely rude, but I'm sure not inviting em over for supper. I'm fed up with bein friendly only to be talked down to. I guess this is a rant (sorry bout that) but anyways Welcome to Tennessee!!! Enjoy yourselves, I'm sure I will where ever I am, away from yall. At least until ya screw Tn royally an end up there too. But thats ok yall can have a mass exodus from here an then I can come back.
I understand your frustration...Good luck.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,917 times
Default 2nd try

So I wrote like 2 pages and my computer died, grrr/ So to make along story short, I am coming to Tn because I feel it is where my heart is. My family came from Chavies, KY and thought they were doing a good thing to bring the family north and maybe they did. But not for me. I hate Indiana, and have for 37 years. I am coming home, where I belong.

Where I will not have helicopters circling my house, or have drive bys, or gang rapes, or all of the **** that is going on in this city. I want my children to have a place that is theirs if they need it, and not in the middle of this stupid ass city. It is hell here. It finally got cool enough to open windows and it smells like ****. Not cow or pig, but just ****. I am so done with this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop93 View Post
Don't get me wrong,I have no issues with respectful newcomers but.,....

(I don't want to start a flame war......This is just my observation)

I've seen new people move here and then want to complain about our way of living and the way we do things.

New people come and then complain about us being so Conservative and "redneck".

New people come and then complain because Tennessee in predominately Christian and not afraid say it (not me).

New people come and then try to change us because they realize they don't fit into the "down-home country living" lifestyle they imagined.

We Tennesseans try our damnedest to go out of our way with our Southern hospitality but have mercy on us if we do it with a Dixie Tradition t-shirt on.

Our way of life was established decades ago by those "hillbillies" that you like to talk crap about.......If you don't like it - LEAVE!

To those who came here and respected our culture and way of life.....Bless you.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_46032 View Post
So I wrote like 2 pages and my computer died, grrr/ So to make along story short, I am coming to Tn because I feel it is where my heart is. My family came from Chavies, KY and thought they were doing a good thing to bring the family north and maybe they did. But not for me. I hate Indiana, and have for 37 years. I am coming home, where I belong.

Where I will not have helicopters circling my house, or have drive bys, or gang rapes, or all of the **** that is going on in this city. I want my children to have a place that is theirs if they need it, and not in the middle of this stupid ass city. It is hell here. It finally got cool enough to open windows and it smells like ****. Not cow or pig, but just ****. I am so done with this place.
We will certainly welcome you home!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Why does so many people want to live here ?

Is that a fact or a guess?

Is TN leading the nation in % of new people moving in?

Is it near the top ?

Is it near the middle ?

Seems darn near every state proclaims everyone wants to move to their state./
I would think the OP would show statistics to back up his assumption.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM

950 posts, read 3,192,386 times
Nah, Tennessee probably ranks between 11th and 17th fastest growing state in the US. I don't think they have completed the final stats for last year.

People like to exaggerate. It is safe to say Tennesseans in general have never seen or experienced "huge" growths in their rural communities that people in bigger cities, Memphis, Nashville-Davidson, Chattanooga and Knoxville have seen in the last twenty years or so.

I think Tennessee will continue keeping the population growth under control in the long run.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Murfreesboro has more than doubled in population since 1990. Tripled in the last 30 years.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Nah, Tennessee probably ranks between 11th and 17th fastest growing state in the US. I don't think they have completed the final stats for last year.

People like to exaggerate. It is safe to say Tennesseans in general have never seen or experienced "huge" growths in their rural communities that people in bigger cities, Memphis, Nashville-Davidson, Chattanooga and Knoxville have seen in the last twenty years or so.

I think Tennessee will continue keeping the population growth under control in the long run.

Of course not, there are few job opportunities in rural communities, thats why they stay rural. What we are seeing tho is retirees. I believe the impact feels greater in rural areas although the numbers arent as high as in metro areas. What Ive noticed most is the number of new housing developments going up, ginormous leaps in land prices and more "no tresspass" signs.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Ah yes, sometimes I truly do wonder why anyone would voluntarily move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee