Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 06:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'll take your word for it, but I am skeptical. The further you get from South Texas the worse it gets.
Well, one must be discriminating. But we have a substantial first generation Hispanic population up here and a lot of them brought their mamas and grandmamas with them. Those women can COOK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
As someone who has actually lived in multiple states but who doesnt necessarily need to have lived in every state in the country to be able to tell that New York or Maine isnt the same as South Carolina or Mississippi, and who has lived all over east Texas for over 30 years I can tell you with 100% certainty that East Texas is VERY CLEARLY Deep South with multiple layers of it in the different regions of East Texas.
OK, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I'm absolutely not convinced and apparently I'm not alone.

Deep South - definition of Deep South by The Free Dictionary

Synonyms for deep south | Synonym.com

https://www.britannica.com/place/Deep-South

https://www.traveldk.com/article/top...in-deep-south/

Flu is striking states in the Deep South particularly hard | KATV

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Deep+South

https://www.gadventures.com/blog/the...ts-deep-south/

Now this one was particularly interesting to me since east Texas also got snow in this system - but it wasn't even mentioned as part of the "deep south" that saw snow.
https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...early-december

Old 12-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas are in my opinion the “real Deep South”. Texas is with Georgia where only a portion that’s not highly populated compared to other places are actually the Deep South.

Northeast Texas is definitely culturally the South, Deep South or not. Southeast Texas including both Houseon and the Golden Triangle have soithern influence but aren’t fully Southern culturally. Dallas-Fort Worth and surrounding areas has its southern influence as well to a lesser degree. And then the rest of Texas excluding a few unnamed places have little to do soithern influence.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas are in my opinion the “real Deep South”. Texas is with Georgia where only a portion that’s not highly populated compared to other places are actually the Deep South.

Northeast Texas is definitely culturally the South, Deep South or not. Southeast Texas including both Houseon and the Golden Triangle have soithern influence but aren’t fully Southern culturally. Dallas-Fort Worth and surrounding areas has its southern influence as well to a lesser degree. And then the rest of Texas excluding a few unnamed places have little to do soithern influence.
Houston is very Southern. I've never heard an Asian or a Hispanic with a Southern accent until I moved here. I literally heard a Hispanic say "Guh" today at the store. It was so weird.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I'm absolutely not convinced and apparently I'm not alone.
I try to avoid the debate of what is and isn't the Deep South, because as far as I'm concerned it's a dead horse that can't get any deader...but I just wanted to point out that some of your links place all of Louisiana and Arkansas in the Deep South, which would be at odds with your earlier claim that the cities of Shreveport, Little Rock and Hope are not DS cities. Don't you agree that this proves that there is no clear consensus on how this region should be defined?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:21 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston is very Southern. I've never heard an Asian or a Hispanic with a Southern accent until I moved here. I literally heard a Hispanic say "Guh" today at the store. It was so weird.
They say that in Washington DC and Maryland.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
If I had to say culturally, is Texas more of one than the other, I’d say Southwest. Because San Antonio, Austin [...] all culturally tie to the Southwest completely
Whaaaat?

Unless you think 'Mexicans' is the litmus for SW culture, I think this is wrong. I have been to both SA and Austin and neither are remotely Southwestern in my opinion.

And if the presence of Mexican culture is the litmus for Southwestern, one could argue that the German-American culture of Central and Southern Texas makes it the Midwest. Hell, one could argue Chicago is Texas. Or the Bronx is the Dominican Republic.

Now El Paso I will give you. From my perspective as a Southwesterner, as far as Texas goes, if you can watch the sunset with the Pecos river at your back, you are in the Southwest, albeit barely. Hell, I consider estern New Mexico to barely qualify as the Southwest. Too many baptist Texan wannabes with West Texas accents. :-)

Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Whaaaat?

Unless you think 'Mexicans' is the litmus for SW culture, I think this is wrong. I have been to both SA and Austin and neither are remotely Southwestern in my opinion.

And if the presence of Mexican culture is the litmus for Southwestern, one could argue that the German-American culture of Central and Southern Texas makes it the Midwest. Hell, one could argue Chicago is Texas. Or the Bronx is the Dominican Republic.

Now El Paso I will give you. From my perspective as a Southwesterner, as far as Texas goes, if you can watch the sunset with the Pecos river at your back, you are in the Southwest, albeit barely. Hell, I consider estern New Mexico to barely qualify as the Southwest. Too many baptist Texan wannabes with West Texas accents. :-)
Do you consider Midland-Odessa to be Southwest?

Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Deep South - definition of Deep South by The Free Dictionary

Synonyms for deep south | Synonym.com

https://www.britannica.com/place/Deep-South

https://www.traveldk.com/article/top...in-deep-south/

Flu is striking states in the Deep South particularly hard | KATV

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Deep+South

https://www.gadventures.com/blog/the...ts-deep-south/

Now this one was particularly interesting to me since east Texas also got snow in this system - but it wasn't even mentioned as part of the "deep south" that saw snow.
https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...early-december
Ok, sure thing Kathryn...and you keep telling yourself that East Texas isnt the deep south if it helps you sleep at night..lol. I know for a fact it is the Deep South, and I know Im not alone so it all works out in the end.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
Even the actual Southwesterners are saying that Texas isn't Southwestern. That should give you all the answer for this discussion (regarding the state as a whole).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas