Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually rarely even think about this anymore, but when I first moved to Northeast Texas from what is acknowledged to be the Deep South by anyone with a smidgen of a brain, after living in the Deep South for 12 years of my life, the marked differences jumped out at me often. Now they rarely register.

I do think it's cute when some people living in Texas want to insist that it's "deep South." To this girl who hails from and loves all things Deep South, that's a compliment, whether it's actually accurate or not. You are more than welcome to honorary membership.

Oh we dont need an honorary membership to a club that we've also chartered...thanks for offering anyway though Kathy
..I just think its adorable when people who claim to be from everywhere else want to insist that East Texas isnt the Deep South...thats all..i find it rather amusing myself as I think most people do.

In fact Im glad youve decided to tag along with those of us born and raised in the Deep South; I find it most flattering.

Last edited by soletaire; 12-19-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Most people who use the "Texas is Texas" statement don't actually have a valid argument on that basis, but simply are using it as a cop-out.
On what basis other than that it doesn't agree with what you prefer to think?

Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Oh we dont need an honorary membership to a club that we've also chartered...thanks for offering anyway though Kathy
..I just think its adorable when people who claim to be from everywhere else want to insist that East Texas isnt the Deep South...thats all..i find it rather amusing myself as I think most people do.

In fact Im glad youve decided to tag along with those of us born and raised in the Deep South; I find it most flattering.
As I said, I was born and bred in East Texas and my family all the way back pre-Republic was, too. So what argument do you have to try to brush off my opinion because it does not agree with what you WANT to believe?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:31 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As I said, I was born and bred in East Texas and my family all the way back pre-Republic was, too. So what argument do you have to try to brush off my opinion because it does not agree with what you WANT to believe?
What does you being born in the 1700s or whatever have to do with anything? Congratulations, but that literally doesnt have anything to do with me. You can believe whatever you WANT to believe. Its irrelevant to me.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
What does you being born in the 1700s or whatever have to do with anything? Congratulations, but that literally doesnt have anything to do with me. You can believe whatever you WANT to believe. Its irrelevant to me.
Since you were saying that it was cute that people who are from elsewhere insist that East Texas isn't the Deep South, it seemed that you needed my bona fides in order to justify my opinion.

Speaking of which, since YOU brought it up in your post above, what are YOUR bona fides?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
On what basis other than that it doesn't agree with what you prefer to think?
Because most who go by the sentiment (including yourself) never really go on to discuss what traits entail this united "Texas" region other than being within the same border. What connects the swamps of SE Texas with the deserts of El Paso and the citrus farms of the Lower Rio Grande Valley other than the fact that they are in the same state? What are these unique traits?

Most never answer those questions when arguing for the sentiment, it all just stops with "because Texas is large and varied," as if the same can't be said for states like California or Florida.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Because most who go by the sentiment (including yourself) never really go on to discuss what traits entail this united "Texas" region other than being within the same border. What connects the swamps of SE Texas with the deserts of El Paso and the citrus farms of the Lower Rio Grande Valley other than the fact that they are in the same state? What are these unique traits?

Most never answer those questions when arguing for the sentiment, it all just stops with "because Texas is large and varied," as if the same can't be said for states like California or Florida.
I'm interested in hearing whether or not she thinks of Florida as a southern state; Miami included.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
as if the same can't be said for states like California or Florida.
Yeah, they actually can. California has southern and northern parts, and I don't mean compass directions. If you don't believe that, you've never been there.

Quote:
What connects the swamps of SE Texas with the deserts of El Paso and the citrus farms of the Lower Rio Grande Valley other than the fact that they are in the same state?
A shared border means a shared history and a shared culture (a culture that involves TX being an independent state in 1837 not in 1796. "Remember the Alamo" means something to Texans whether they are in El Paso or Houston but it doesn't mean much to people from Arkansas.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yeah, they actually can. California has southern and northern parts, and I don't mean compass directions. If you don't believe that, you've never been there.

A shared border means a shared history and a shared culture (a culture that involves TX being an independent state in 1837 not in 1796. "Remember the Alamo" means something to Texans whether they are in El Paso or Houston but it doesn't mean much to people from Arkansas.
Then I guess that makes El Paso a certified southern city, since it once existed within the border of the Confederacy.

There is somewhat of a "shared history and culture" within the entire border of the USA, but does that necessarily mean that Maine is more culturally similar to New Mexico than New Brunswick? I don't believe so.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:33 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I'm just inquiring if all of you that go with the "Texas is Texas" sentiment also consider states like California and Florida also their own regions?

Last edited by Texyn; 12-21-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas