Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times

Advertisements

I think two important parts of being a world class city are originality and individuality; something that separates you from the rest. In what way can Dallas claim these attributes? Houston can atleast say it's the largest city in America that's 90% ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What train fetish?

My interest and appreciation of cities has come from living and traveling the world and walking wonderful cities that create a true sense of place and vibrancy and excitement to just be in.

No city is worth caring about? That's as bizarre and foreign concept as I've ever heard and could not possibly begin to comprehend the thought process behind tha.
I was addressing your statement quoted - "The parts worth caring about anyway". How did you come to the conclusion that only parts of Houston are worth caring about? Contrary to your believe cities about people and providing them opportunities to make a living.... I can see how you are so confused since you contradict yourself

Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I was addressing your statement quoted - "The parts worth caring about anyway". How did you come to the conclusion that only parts of Houston are worth caring about? Contrary to your believe cities about people and providing them opportunities to make a living.... I can see how you are so confused since you contradict yourself
Because there are lovely parts of Houston with character and vitality and that create a sense of place worthy of caring about and the there large sections of sprawl, filled with office parks, civic buildings so awfuo they resemble prisons, subdivisions of ticky tacky, pod malls, strip malls, shopping centers, big box stores etc that are utterly indistinguishable from the same in almost anywhere. Those parts are not worthy of caring about because frankly, they suck.

But the nice parts are really great, gracious and lovely and charming. You should definitely do more of that and less of the other crap.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
If you want civic buildings so awful they look like prisons stay with town halls in Dallas and Fort Worth.

You are just too biased.

Houston neighborhoods look just the same as any otger in Texas, only difference is it blanketed in trees.

To be honest, i will take the trees over brown hills any day.

You have yet to show us one link about the ugliness you talk about, so I think you just created a troll tgread to slam Houston

Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Please tell us how this vision that Dallas has is manifesting itself. What is this plan and who are the planners that you are so enamored with?
THE TRINITY RIVER PARK!!!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...45175338,d.dmQ
[IMG]http://assets.bizjournals.com/dallas/print-edition/p23060311Aerial%20Overview%20with%20City%20-%2007%202008%20small[2]%20copyWEB*304.jpg?v=1[/IMG]

Trinty Lakes

In the Balanced Vision Plan, the organization work was done to identify the five major components of the Trinity River Corridor Project and to envision the park amenities for each of the areas of the floodway appropriate to their natural land attributes. In the Trinity Lakes corridor, the following structures and amenities are envisioned:
  • Sylvan Avenue Bridge
  • Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge
  • IH-30 - Margaret McDermott
  • Urban Lake, 90 acres
  • Natural Lake, 60 acres
  • Eight miles of boardwalks
  • Central Island with shade structures
  • Natural seating and walking paths
  • Corinth Wetlands
  • An amphitheater with floating stage
Green light for McKinney Avenue Trolley expansion | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Oak Cliff Transit Authority*-*Oak Cliff Transit Authority

TRAIN ACCESS TO DFW!!!!!!

DART Downtown SUBWAY PLANS!!

NEW PARKS!!!!
http://www.dallasparks.org/downloads...MasterPlan.pdf

DALLAS NEW FARMERS MARKET!!!

Dallas Farmer Market District Redevelopment Plan

DALLAS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT PROJECT-Building for the FUTURE!!

Eco Architecture: Entangled Bank

Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If you want civic buildings so awful they look like prisons stay with town halls in Dallas and Fort Worth.

You are just too biased.

Houston neighborhoods look just the same as any otger in Texas, only difference is it blanketed in trees.

To be honest, i will take the trees over brown hills any day.

You have yet to show us one link about the ugliness you talk about, so I think you just created a troll tgread to slam Houston
You continue to misrepresent my position so I shan't respond after this. I defy you to find a single place I've stated that Dallas or Austin lacks sprawl and all the horrors that it entails. But Houston is in a class by itself here.

Btw, I like trees too and Houston has some lovely ones. But when you build mile after mile of the worst sprawl in the US...it kinds detracts from the trees

Old 04-14-2013, 02:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Oh please, just about any neighborhiod here older than a decade is shrouded in trees.

Further, DFW had more sprawl than Houston so saying Hudson is in a class by itself just does your bias.

Admit it, you have either never been to Houston, or never left the highways

Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,798,433 times
Interesting that all the listed world-class cities are all cities I have no desire to ever visit, LOL.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Thumbs down Plan my arse !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
THE TRINITY RIVER PARK!!!
Copycats! Everything you just posted is allready being done in houston. The Buffalo Bayou Partnership has a much more pleasing and authentic plan for Buffalo Bayou from Shepard all the way to the Turning Basin. What has allready been done is fantastic now. I could also post Metros plans on expansion and the various schematics that go along with it along with the Uptown metro plans ect, ect ect. But this begs the question what is Dallas doing above and beyond what Houston is doing ? From what I gather from your post the answer is NOTHING!

http://www.buffalobayou.org/

BTW where is all that water to make the Trinity that wide and deep comming from ? And that bus looking light rail thingy is really really UGLY

Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Copycats! Everything you just posted is allready being done in houston. The Buffalo Bayou Partnership has a much more pleasing and authentic plan for Buffalo Bayou from Shepard all the way to the Turning Basin. I could post Metros plans on expansion and the various schematics that go along with it along with the Uptown metro plans ect, ect ect. But this begs the question what is Dallas doing above and beyond what Houston is doing ? From what I gather from your post the answer is NOTHING!

Buffalo Bayou Partnership

BTW where is all that water to make the Trinity that wide and deep comming from ? And that bus looking light rail thingy is really really UGLY
Uhh...The bayou plan was created AFTER the Dallas Trinity River Project and its not nearly as big.Kudos for Houston for doing SOMETHING with that DITCH!!! Houston will NEVER have rail access to IAH...Nice try.

What kind of subway plan or Sustainable development is Houston planning again?!?
Where is Houstons Farmers Market even located?????...Ive never known.
Oh and if our new street cars are so ugly then Houstons are too. They almost look the same.
Who would of thought that Dallas would add a streetcar system to rival Houstons. Thats definately what Houston has downtown. a glorified streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas