Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 07:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That convo had little to do with HEB. I actually agree with you about HEB being overrated. I also feel that Whataburger and Buc Ees are overrated. That’s not what I criticized your posts for. All of us collectively criticized you talking about a place being littered with HEBs all over while Dallas has Walmart’s littered all over. Walmart really? Lmao. Sure HEB super fans can be annoying but Walmart doesn’t even have fans for a reason

Walmart has fans all over the world...that's why it's the number one fortune 500 company....Even people in Houston love Walmart.

Walmart is the reason Dallas is fine without H.E.B.......END OF STORY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 08:36 PM

869 posts, read 319,917 times
Quote:
That convo had little to do with HEB. I actually agree with you about HEB being overrated. I also feel that Whataburger and Buc Ees are overrated. That’s not what I criticized your posts for. All of us collectively criticized you talking about a place being littered with HEBs all over while Dallas has Walmart’s littered all over. Walmart really? Lmao. Sure HEB super fans can be annoying but Walmart doesn’t even have fans for a reason
This is the part he keeps side-stepping.

And the bit about you "getting all in your feelings" is LITERALLY the pot calling the kettle black, lol. I've never seen someone get so worked up over a grocery store debate

Old 04-06-2021, 08:42 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

And the bit about you "getting all in your feelings" is LITERALLY the pot calling the kettle black, lol. I've never seen someone get so worked up over a grocery store debate
Yeah. I didn’t get that part at all.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

I actually said more than once that Walmart is the reason we don't need H.E.B.....We are LITTERED... with Walmart(still not on every corner like H.E.B in Houston)...So it's not enough room for another mass multiplying cost-cutting Grocer.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:39 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Quote:
I don’t see the logic here. You’re saying domestic migrants bring their own regional tastes as if international migrants don’t? How does this make sense? International migrants bring far more particular tastes. I’m not sure if you’re wording this wrong or something but this doesn’t a lick of sense. An Arabic used to Halal standards is going to find a far harder time as opposed to a Vegan Californian. Sure, California and Texas are different but they’re both still American and far more alike than not alike. They are going to be far more picky about places that have offerings that meet their standards more than any domestic migrant. Dallas gets less international visitors than the other cities, but they still get their fair share, and as a result have had to make particular stores

Maybe explain what you meant better? Because if this is the reason, it would make Dallas the least picky out of all of those cities. I don’t See it this way regardless. The point in the end is Houston is a huge metropolis. Dallas is a huge metropolis. Miami is a huge metropolis. All have a lot of great offerings. If you open a mediocre store, people will skip your store to go to the better places. And the fact Dallas does have its fair share of international residents has enhanced their store. Dallas is picky like most large cities are. There are some cities less picky of course. Philadelphia imo fits this bill, but I don’t see what is particularly picky there. And domestic migrants vs international migrants would make it less picky if anything.
Anyone who bold enough to move halfway across the world to a brand new country is more likely to be open to trying new things than someone who moves from state to state, in part because they have no other choice since there's a much wider culture gap. That's just human nature.

This may come as a shock to Texans, but most Americans really *DON'T* get the hype with H-E-B. You're going have to try much harder to convince recent transplants why it's so much better than Meijer if they're from the Midwest, or Wegman's if they're form the Northeast, or Publix if they're from the Southeast. It may be true that H-E-B excels over its competitors in many ways with the experience it offers, but at its heart, it's still just a grocery store that offers the same amenities you can find at any other local/regional/national chain in the US.

That's why in a place like DFW with a ton of domestic transplants, commercial establishments have to be very methodical when they're interested in expanding here, to avoid failing like other businesses who have tried to infiltrate the Metroplex. And that's why I took issue with the poster who said H-E-B just throwing up any ol' store in Plano or Frisco would be good enough.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Anyone who bold enough to move halfway across the world to a brand new country is more likely to be open to trying new things than someone who moves from state to state, in part because they have no other choice since there's a much wider culture gap. That's just human nature.

This may come as a shock to Texans, but most Americans really *DON'T* get the hype with H-E-B. You're going have to try much harder to convince recent transplants why it's so much better than Meijer if they're from the Midwest, or Wegman's if they're form the Northeast, or Publix if they're from the Southeast. It may be true that H-E-B excels over its competitors in many ways with the experience it offers, but at its heart, it's still just a grocery store that offers the same amenities you can find at any other local/regional/national chain in the US.

That's why in a place like DFW with a ton of domestic transplants, commercial establishments have to be very methodical when they're interested in expanding here, to avoid failing like other businesses who have tried to infiltrate the Metroplex. And that's why I took issue with the poster who said H-E-B just throwing up any ol' store in Plano or Frisco would be good enough.

^^^^This is why I said Plano and Frisco out of all places in DFW WOULD REQUIRE better stores.

Maybe they'll understand it better with somebody else saying it.....Thanks, Citidata18

Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Someone posted this link before, but even with the 2 stores in Plano and Frisco coming, the posts made in this discussion are still quite vallid about H-E-B expanding in DFW.

https://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1580

Old 04-07-2021, 08:36 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Maybe this is true for people coming from European countries (and only not even all of them) but that’s about it . Good luck describing to a Mexican immigrant to shop at HEB instead of the vast assortment of cheap Mexican shop at HEB. Good luck convincing Asians to to go to HEB while Houston has some of the largest ethnic enclaves in the nation. Good luck convincing an Indian migrant to go to HEB with Hillcroft and other Indian markets to go around. Don’t even get me started on Arabic’s who basically demand Halal only, that HEB doesn’t have.

I’m a transplant and I don’t get the HEB hype either. We all know it’s better than Walmart but that’s because Walmart is universally known as the lowest caliber of grocers. In Louisiana, we have Rouses Market which is just as good.

Domestic immigrants are FAR more likely to take in HEB. Especially in Houston where they have so many options that cater to their home countries as well as other cities that have a similar international shopping assortment. It’s a job to bring both in, but it’s definitely more of one to bring in international migrants.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-07-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
Someone posted this link before, but even with the 2 stores in Plano and Frisco coming, the posts made in this discussion are still quite vallid about H-E-B expanding in DFW.
I disagree. That's all just nonsense and hearsay. And lots of it is blatantly untrue, like for example hype about Trader Joes, Sprouts, and WinCo, all of whom choose their store locations way more carefully in DFW than they do most other places.

WalMart is also dominating the other mass grocers in DFW by volume, with smaller population centers per store (30k vs Kroger at 50k) and also higher sales per sq foot than all of the regular grocers expect for WinCo and Central Market (hence why Sprouts, Trader Joes, and Aldi haven't done much expanding).

HEB's store in Plano is a super smart land purchase, because that corner (nw and ne both) have very low grocery store saturation compared to the rest of the city, so that particular store is going to be the most convenient location for a boatload of shoppers. That area is also overloaded with upper income grocery, with Market Street, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods two miles away. A regular grocery store is what is missing.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Tom Thumbs's expansion plans in downtown Dallas are equally as smart as land purchases, since downtown Dallas is also seriously lacking in grocery stores. And the building is better than the waste of land HEB is putting in Plano, and will probably be both more profitable as a land deal with apartments on top, more profitable per square foot, and unlike Plano where there are plenty of low quality strip malls nearby for some other grocer to bulldoze and build adjacent, it's much harder to compete with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas