Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 10:30 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I disagree...
Agree to disagree.

To summarize, these were the main takeaways:

*It is true that H-E-B locations vary widely across the state in terms of scale and amenities.

*It is true that H-E-B will be facing much stiffer competition while expanding in DFW than they did when they started expanding in Houston.

*It is true that Dallas and the close-in suburbs are much more transplant-heavy than the outer suburbs in DFW.

*It is true that Albertsons and Tom Thumb's prices are high as hell (and until recently with the new Tom Thumb stores, has experienced declining market share), and they'll be the easiest to take on with H-E-B's aggressive pricing structure.

*It is true that the H-E-B store in Waxahachie (the only one I've been to personally) is kind of underwhelming. So what works there may not work in Plano & Frisco.

*It is true that real estate in DFW is a lot more expensive than other parts of Texas, and certainly more expensive than it was when H-E-B expanded into Austin & Houston.

*It is true that Walmart aggresssively expanded in DFW in an attempt to fend off the inevitable invasion of H-E-B. They even attempted to acquire H-E-B once upon a time.

*It is true that, for now, H-E-B thinks Central Market is the best banner for expansion in the heart of DFW since it doesn't directly compete with Tom Thumb, Kroger, Walmart, etc.

*It is true that the footprint for the Minyard stores H-E-B flipped would have been too small for the type of stores they're building today, and thus they wouldn't bring in as much volume.

*It is true that H-E-B tried to expand in Louisiana and failed. I'm sure they want to be certain whatever they did (or didn't do) there isn't repeated in DFW before pouring a ton of money into new stores.

Last edited by citidata18; 04-07-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 10:40 AM

869 posts, read 319,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I actually said more than once that Walmart is the reason we don't need H.E.B.....We are LITTERED... with Walmart(still not on every corner like H.E.B in Houston)...So it's not enough room for another mass multiplying cost-cutting Grocer.

Except that Walmart ISN'T A GROCERY STORE...it's a DISCOUNT store that happens to sell groceries along with some of everything else. Sort of how a gas station doesn't JUST sell gas...you can also get toilet paper, headache medicine, baby wipes, and a few Slim Jims while you're at it.

HEB, on the other hand, is a LITERAL grocery store. That's 99 percent of it's concentration. And it's prices are comparable to Walmarts, except that there's MORE to choose from in the grocery department. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to infiltrate the DFW area...it's already leagues above stores like Tom Thumb and maybe even Krogers.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
*It is true that H-E-B tried to expand in Louisiana and failed. I'm sure they want to be certain whatever they did (or didn't do) there isn't repeated in DFW before pouring a ton of money into new stores.
I wouldn’t call the Louisiana tenure a failure. They did pretty well there before deciding to keep focus in Texas and it’s extreme loyal base found there.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:25 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Tom Thumb grocery store isn’t going anywhere. It’s a signature brand that started in Dallas. H-E-B coming into the market will just force other grocers to cut prices to compete. I don’t see H-E-B taking over the DFW grocery market because the area is already highly competitive in that regard. Honestly, H-E-B took too long to expand into the market.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 04-07-2021 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 12:35 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Tom Thumb grocery store isn’t going anywhere. It’s a signature brand that started in Dallas. H-E-B coming into the market will just force other grocers to cut prices to compete. I don’t see H-E-B taking over the DFW grocery market because the area is already highly competitive in that regard. Honestly, H-E-B took too long to expand into the market.
Randalls had the same "hometown" advatange in Houston, yet it seems to be on its way out because of H-E-B with the recent closure of its distribution center.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
We just have so many other options for bargain shopping...we don't need another low cost grocer. That's why I prefer Central market....They don't have to lower prices to be accepted in the community. ...Their service and quality products are what keeps people coming back.....Being Cheap is not the end all be all.

we Have:

*Wal-mart
*Kroger
*Fiesta
*Save-A-Lot
*Costco
*Aldi

and now..................H.E.B
Houston/San Antonio/Austin have those same ones plus H-E-B. And Dallas could use an H-E-B. I mean there's quite a few food desserts south of I-30 in the metroplex who would gladly invite an H-E-B.

Your not even a real Texan if you don't have a H-E-B in town. LOL jokes

Old 04-07-2021, 01:20 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
I love all the grocery store talk but maybe we should get this thread back onto its original topic...

Old 04-07-2021, 01:29 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Randalls had the same "hometown" advatange in Houston, yet it seems to be on its way out because of H-E-B with the recent closure of its distribution center.
Randalls and Tom thumb are basically the same store. Tom Thumb is doing waaay better than Randalls in Houston......I think its because Upscale stores like Tom Thumb and Central Market are welcomed and embraced in Dallas.....Not so much in Houston....Thats why the only have one central market and Randall's is disappearing.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Randalls and Tom thumb are basically the same store. Tom Thumb is doing waaay better than Randalls in Houston......I think its because Upscale stores like Tom Thumb and Central Market are welcomed and embraced in Dallas.....Not so much in Houston....Thats why the only have one central market and Randall's is disappearing.
That explains why Whole Foods blossomed in Houston and not so much Dallas The fact you consider Randall’s upscale shows how low your standards are. The reason Randall’s is an after thing here is because we have way superior options here. Figured you would in Dallas as well but I guess not if what you’re saying is true.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:04 PM

Speaking of, Whole Foods just announced their only store in the world with an in house brewery will be in the Post Oak location in Houston. Maybe Dallas will catch up one day

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/who...n-beer/597949/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas