Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Having conservative values does not necessitate narrow-mindedness. Some of the most intolerant people I've met are far-left Liberals.
The proof in in the puddin', my friend! Exactly right!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My parents from NE Texas were raised as Democrats (my mom is still using her Hillary calendar) - I was the black sheep with the Reagan bumper sticker on my school notebook!

Of course I am not happy with the religious right in the party. I am all about 'government out of my life'.
In Lakewood? You weren't lynched for being a Republican?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Replace "Hispanic" with "African American," "day laborer" with "welfare recipient," and "prole" with "criminal," and you have my experiences within the Northeast as well. This is why I really pray that Texas keeps its libertarian mentality and doesn't become another liberal state (in my case, New Jersey or Maryland). With the exception of LA and to an extent, San Francisco, I really don't have any problems with California, and race relations (outside of those cities mentioned) seem to be the pinnacle of cordial race relations; although I can imagine Houston and Austin gaining ground in that department.
Yes, because stereotyping two entire races as welfare recipients and day laborers and criminals is "the pinnacle of cordial race relations."

Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Having conservative values does not necessitate narrow-mindedness. Some of the most intolerant people I've met are far-left Liberals.

Agreed.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'll have to disagree with that. I live in rural Texas and much to my chagrin, I can't believe how many original families from Texas are not conservative. It will only get worse over time. It's very sad. I'm from CA and am as conservative as one can be. There are others just like I am who have moved to Texas to add to the conservatism, not remove it like so many natives continue to do.

I live in and grew up in "Original Texan/Old family" neighborhoods and they are and still are strong conservative areas. Mostly more moderate than extreme; in terms of have your beliefs but leave mine the hell alone type moderates. Up in Cherokee County....well you can't get more extreme conservative than that. I guess it's where you live. The closer you get to the Hill Country, the more "open minded" it becomes. In Houston, the inner loop has a liberal stamp on it, however everyone I know that lives in there is conservative.

Because of where I live, my industry, my friends and old town connections, I live in a very fiscally conservative bubble. In such a strong bubble, I often,...hell not often..every day!...wonder how Obama does so well on those polls.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I live in and grew up in "Original Texan/Old family" neighborhoods and they are and still are strong conservative areas. Mostly more moderate than extreme; in terms of have your beliefs but leave mine the hell alone type moderates. Up in Cherokee County....well you can't get more extreme conservative than that. I guess it's where you live. The closer you get to the Hill Country, the more "open minded" it becomes. In Houston, the inner loop has a liberal stamp on it, however everyone I know that lives in there is conservative.

Because of where I live, my industry, my friends and old town connections, I live in a very fiscally conservative bubble. In such a strong bubble, I often,...hell not often..every day!...wonder how Obama does so well on those polls.
Don't you live in Memorial though? It doesn't really count as part of inner-city Houston, just like Highland Park doesn't count as part of inner-city Dallas.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Don't you live in Memorial though? It doesn't really count as part of inner-city Houston, just like Highland Park doesn't count as part of inner-city Dallas.

I don't think Dallas or Houston have an "inner-city" do they? Pockets of urban in suburban landscapes is more like it. River Oaks is even a suburban format. Memorial is definately intown Houston. Some part of it hit "the loop" on the eastern side of it side. But yes, it would be similar to makeup to the Park Cities.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:29 AM

264 posts, read 702,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Of course I am not happy with the religious right in the party. I am all about 'government out of my life'.
You better watch that thinking.The Stalinist lefties & neo cons will give your name to the DHS and have you listed as an "extremist right winger."

Old 09-30-2010, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,343 times
Default Texas is narrow-minded. I was raised there

Anyone who says that Texas is narrow-minded and conservative definitely knows what they are talking about. These people almost never think outside of the box. They think that everyone should be exactly like them. Most of them base everything on religion. They are highly judgemental people. They appear to think that all there is in life is a minimum wage dead end job. Most of them are very close minded and jealous. It is best to stay away from Texas. The hospitality in Texas is not very good especially in central Texas aka Waco. Waco is definitely a dead end zone. You might be able to visit places like Dallas or Houston and enjoy yourself for a short period of time. But, do not make it a place to call home. You will regret it and want to leave. If you do not agree, just give it a try and you will see. I guarantee you that. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abandoned man View Post
Anyone who says that Texas is narrow-minded and conservative definitely knows what they are talking about. These people almost never think outside of the box. They think that everyone should be exactly like them. Most of them base everything on religion. They are highly judgemental people. They appear to think that all there is in life is a minimum wage dead end job. Most of them are very close minded and jealous. It is best to stay away from Texas. The hospitality in Texas is not very good especially in central Texas aka Waco. Waco is definitely a dead end zone. You might be able to visit places like Dallas or Houston and enjoy yourself for a short period of time. But, do not make it a place to call home. You will regret it and want to leave. If you do not agree, just give it a try and you will see. I guarantee you that. Good luck!
I would say that reading what you just posted, painting an entire huge state and all of its population with one brush, and what you've posted about where you currently are, that you learned the lesson of narrow-mindedness quite well. Where, exactly, in Texas were you raised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas