Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times

Advertisements

When I would call my relatives in Chicago after I moved to Texas, they asked me all kinds of crazy questions: "Do people have real floors there or do they have dirt floors?" "Does everyone have a horse?" "Isn't everyone named Bubba or has initials as their first name?" These questions make the big, "progressive" Oh so cosmopolitan people sound as stupid as the close-minded people they accuse Texans of being.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To say Texas is nowhere near converting is being disingenous. The leaders of the Republican party will tell you themselves that their party in the state has already peaked. They will also tell you that the democrats are starting to become more confident to take the state in the near future. I never said anything about 2010 or 2012. I did however say that in 2012, Texas could become a swing state. Changing demographics and a growing urban population is starting to change the face of Texas for better or for worse. For me personally, I wouldn't want the state to become solid republican or solid democratic anymore. Be open minded is my motto and listen to both sides.
The leaders in the Republican Party aren't likely to admit publically their party has peaked. And the important thing to remember is that politics is largely cyclical--Texas has had cycles of liberal rule by Democrats and conservative rule by both Democrats and Republicans, as well as periods of moderate rule as well.

Is it likely that the House of Representatives goes blue in 2010? Honestly it depends on how well Obama does and how the Republican primaries turn out. If Obama is doing well in fall 2010, the Dems have a very good chance, and this will get better if the winner of the GOP gubernatorial primary manages to alienate half his/her party and keep them at home.

The Democrats have very little chance to take the State Senate. They have no shot at getting the governor's mansion. They have little shot at the Senate seat. They won't take the House delegation back.

However, the Democratic party is getting stronger in Texas and will have a major say in redistricting barring a precipitous collapse in 2010. They also have a strong shot at several downballot races, particularly if many of the Perry-allied incumbents run against moderate Democratic challengers.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
When I would call my relatives in Chicago after I moved to Texas, they asked me all kinds of crazy questions: "Do people have real floors there or do they have dirt floors?" "Does everyone have a horse?" "Isn't everyone named Bubba or has initials as their first name?" These questions make the big, "progressive" Oh so cosmopolitan people sound as stupid as the close-minded people they accuse Texans of being.
You forgot about Billy Ray.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
You're from California--you ARE a Yankee!
y.
Californians aren't Yankees and besides, when will we retire that word anyway.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Californians aren't Yankees and besides, when will we retire that word anyway.
I just never understood that; it's so corny. That's like saying, "If you're from Minnesota, you're a southerner."

Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I just never understood that; it's so corny. That's like saying, "If you're from Minnesota, you're a southerner."
No it's absolutely nothing like that.

Yankee around here refers to anyone from outside the South. Last time I checked, California isn't considered to be part of the South. They also were on the Federal side during the War Between the States.

Therefore they are Yankees.

It also has a lot to to with attitude and beliefs. Yankees tend to believe they are better than people from the South and that we're a backwards cesspool that needs to feel real Yankee progress. They also tend to be out-of-touch with regular Americans on social issues (this is coming from a socially center-left perspective, as well).

All in all Yankees are generally the antithesis of our culture, and California fits the bill pretty damn well.

Why on earth would we retire the word "Yankee." We might as well retire "American" then, or "moron," Like Yankee, both are valid words with valid definitions and are very useful, and there's no need to "retire" them at all.

When Yankees act like decent human beings, they will receive my respect. It has happened before but certainly isn't common.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
The little towns in Texas and Austin are pretty narrow minded.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Yes, yes it is...and you can't tell me otherwise. Hmph!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,289 times
I guess if you call believing in the sanctity of life, limited government , right to keep and bear arms, helping your neighbor, attending church , grilling various meats (not some soybean mush), loving our state, being friendly to others not so fortunate to reside in our great state, hunting, fishing, and all the other "outlandish" things we do - then we are guilty as charged - we are narrow-minded. God Bless

Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM

848 posts, read 2,128,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
No it's absolutely nothing like that.

Yankee around here refers to anyone from outside the South. Last time I checked, California isn't considered to be part of the South. They also were on the Federal side during the War Between the States.

Therefore they are Yankees.

It also has a lot to to with attitude and beliefs. Yankees tend to believe they are better than people from the South and that we're a backwards cesspool that needs to feel real Yankee progress. They also tend to be out-of-touch with regular Americans on social issues (this is coming from a socially center-left perspective, as well).

All in all Yankees are generally the antithesis of our culture, and California fits the bill pretty damn well.

Why on earth would we retire the word "Yankee." We might as well retire "American" then, or "moron," Like Yankee, both are valid words with valid definitions and are very useful, and there's no need to "retire" them at all.

When Yankees act like decent human beings, they will receive my respect. It has happened before but certainly isn't common.
When I first moved to Houston as a teen back in 1982, the term Yankee was fairly well-applied, especially on rock radio that I listened to.

Now in 2009...with Houston already laced with transplants and being a bonafide international city, I don't hear "Yankee" applied in that geographical dichotomy anymore. And it seems out of context now, considering what Houston is nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas