Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well because West Texas is more of your tradional Texas area. Yeah the Rio Grande area voted democratic, but West Texas isn't known for being open-minded.
I live in Lubbock, supposedly the second most consevative city in the nation, and the people here are "live and let live". They could care less what you are doing. They might not agree with someone's lifesyle, but they know it isn't their place to judge. The fact that a college town like Lubbock is consevative shows that conservative does not equal narrow-minded. Again, I will ask you this question: when was the last time you've been to West Texas?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Georgia doesn't have anything like Austin or San Antonio, but it has little slices of Dallas all over the place. It's actually a bit of a surprise to get inquiries about the narrow-mindedness of this state from a place that is generally accepted to rank third in the "Dirty South" hierarchy behind Louisiana and Mississippi (tied with Alabama).
I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone pointed out the oh-so-obvious.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well because West Texas is more of your tradional Texas area. Yeah the Rio Grande area voted democratic, but West Texas isn't known for being open-minded.
Have you ever even been to West Texas at all?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
You got bashed alot but the truth is, that there are alot of folks in Texas and anywhere in the Bible Belt, and "heartland" of America, who think this way. You just happened to have the guts to say it, instead of being afraid of this politically correct world. Here in the military we still have the "Don't ask, Don't Tell" policy. And in most Christian religions, homosexuality isn't accepted. That's just the facts.

quote=TX_AGGIE13;7072142]Well, the label fits, and I'll wear it!! Im not looking to be socialy accepted by liberals. I don't go around voicing my opinion normally, but in here I have no problem with it in here since it seems there is a constant flow of vocal liberalists. [/quote]

Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,735,836 times
[quote=NOTAM;7090717]And in most Christian religions, homosexuality isn't accepted. That's just the facts.

I thought the christian doctrin was love and tolerance for all.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
[quote=ahzzie;7090862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
And in most Christian religions, homosexuality isn't accepted. That's just the facts.

I thought the christian doctrin was love and tolerance for all.
It is. Sadly, Christianity has been polluted to the point that people use it to discriminate against people. I believe that homosexuality is a sin, just like adultery, greed, and lying, but I also believe that it is not my place to judge them. The Bible says to love your neighbor as yourself, even if you don't agree with their lifestyle. This is the stance I and most of the people I know take, which to me is very open and accepting.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but in some Christian religions, compulsive divorce isn't accepted either. NOTAM I'm looking in your direction for some insight.

Many Christians tend to pick and choose what beliefs they want to adhere to, and what judgments they cast upon others... even though their religion as a whole doesn't condone such behavior.

Christianity, to me, is simply a cultural stamp. Being Catholic is part of my heritage. It's amazing, though, how many liberals forget where they came from.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 PM

23 posts, read 37,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I started this thread not to bash Texas, but to get some legitimate opinions from people who live in or have been to Texas. I admit, I have somewhat of a prejeduce against Texas for various reasons, but reading what people say on this forum has greatly changed my mind and I do not dislike it as much anymore.

It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say. My biggest question is, is this accurate? Is it really any more conservative than other states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.? I used to think that it very much was, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that Texas a very diverse, complex state, with many different demographic factors, and you can't generalize a state with 24 million people (2nd most populous state in the country) in any way.

So obviously, like any other state, Texas has many different geographic regions and areas that are all different. So my question for Texans is, when you compare apples to apples, are big cities in Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) more conservative than big cities in other states? Are small towns in Texas more conservative/narrow-minded than other small towns? Are metropolitan areas as whole (Dallas and Houston) more conservative than other metropolitan areas as a whole? This is what has intrigued me the most.

Again, this is not an anti-Texas thread, I'm geniunely interested in the perspectives of people who have spent a significant amount of time in Texas.
Dallas is overwhelmingly conservative. I know some texan will chime in about the way people vote, but that has noting to do with my claim. A democrat texan may be a hard core republican elsewhere. Georgia is also fairly conservative, but not to the degree or with the mindless solidarity I've seen in TX. There are no dry counties in metro Atlanta. There are of course exceptions, but believe me Texas is a step down from Georgia and as is well documented, Georgia ranks very low on state listings. Texas even lower.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
If that means we're not Minnesota (are you kidding me, Al Franken??) Massachusetts, New York or California then I'm more than happy being low on the list.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 PM

20 posts, read 39,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I live in Lubbock, supposedly the second most consevative city in the nation, and the people here are "live and let live"
I disagree wholeheartedly. Most of the people in Lubbock (not affiliated with TTU) are not "live and let live." There's a whole lot of judging going on, especially if you don't fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas