Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
I don't understand what's so bad about Texas being conservative. What's wrong with living with morals and integrity and standing by them? I am not going to jump on the bandwagon.... just so I don't offend any one. That has nothing to do with narrowmindedness, everything to do with what I believe in and what's right. I consider narrowminded people to be people who reject "outsiders" or people who think differently and Texas is known as a very friendly state, even to non-natives. I've lived in Indiana, Illinoise, and Kentucky, as well as TX.... so I know what I'm talking about. I am friends with many democrats and just because I do not agree with them politically, doesn't make me narrowminded. Now... if I refused to be friends with them because they were democrats... then I would call that narrowminded!
Very well said!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Wow this thread is getting very political.

Quote:
Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is?
and

Quote:
It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say.
It got political as soon as you posed your question.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:45 PM

19 posts, read 65,931 times
native born Texan, liberal democrat. Thats me.

I recently did find out that Harris county, where houston is, voted blue.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrla21 View Post
native born Texan, liberal democrat. Thats me.

I recently did find out that Harris county, where houston is, voted blue.
Gives new meaning to the old phrase, "Luv Ya Blue!" doesn't it?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
The difference between texas and the so called "progressive" states (California, NY, Mass, Illinois) is that they don't spend every moment trying to tell the world how progressive, tolerant, openminded or liberal they are. Texas seems to be a state where people don't dwell on these things and people just live their lives. This is a good thing rather than always trying to "out-liberal" the next state.

That being said, cities like Houston and Dallas are pretty openminded places where almost everybody accepts his fellow human beings as far as what I have heard and witnessed.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Also..... it really makes not much of a difference regarding conservative vs liberal when it comes to voting Dem or Repub. There are MANY people who are socially conservative and economically liberal and vote Rep. because social values are more important or vote Dem. because social programs are more important. Meanwhile there are are many people who are socially liberal and economically conservative and vote Rep. because taxes and business practice are more important and some who vote Dem. because social issues are more important.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM

108 posts, read 438,311 times
Pretty sure Georgia is more conservative than TX dude.

We have lots of big liberal cities.

It's nothing like southern states...I don't even consider it the south!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Its funny I have never considered Texas part of the south either. I also thought the South started at the State Line heading into LA. and it ended at the Mississippi State line to Florida. heh heh. Then kinda skipped to Georgia, and a few of the lower eastern states. But Not Florida. Funny huh.

As I said before Texas with its influx of Hispanics from Mexico.. has become more liberal, and less conservative.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The difference between texas and the so called "progressive" states (California, NY, Mass, Illinois) is that they don't spend every moment trying to tell the world how progressive, tolerant, openminded or liberal they are. Texas seems to be a state where people don't dwell on these things and people just live their lives. This is a good thing rather than always trying to "out-liberal" the next state.

That being said, cities like Houston and Dallas are pretty openminded places where almost everybody accepts his fellow human beings as far as what I have heard and witnessed.
Ah shucks...Texans just let people live their lives huh? So tell us again why you passed a law to teach the Bible in public schools? And voted to ban gay marriage in 2005?

Texas Voters Approve Ban on Gay Marriage

And you still had sodomy laws on the books till 2003 until the US Supreme Court struck it down?

Last edited by padcrasher; 01-18-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 06:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Ah shucks...Texans just let people live their lives huh? So tell us again why you passed a law to teach the Bible in public schools?
Tell us? Tell WHO? You? Who is "us"? LMAO

Ok..I am a public school teacher. And unless I missed something, then there is no law which mandates the teaching of the Bible in public schools. So be a bit more specific. Or else quit outright lying.

Quote:
And voted to ban gay marriage in 2005?
Do you mean an affirmation that marriage is an institution recognized by the State of Texas to be a union between a man and woman? There was nothing "banned" at all, since anything contrary was never legal to begin with.

Quote:
And you still had sodomy laws on the books till 2003 until the US Supreme Court struck it down?
So? It was some kind of misdemenor, and nobody really gave a damn to begin with. Some kind of law which really ranked up there with not being able to spit on the sidewalks on Sunday mornings. Every state in the Union has something of the same. No one in Texas really gives a damn what two consenting adults do behind closed doors. It is totally idiotic to present this old law on Texas books as in that anyone ever wanted to enforce it.

With that said though, the Supreme Court ruling which overturned it was flawed...but that is a seperate issue...

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-18-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas