Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Ah shucks...Texans just let people live their lives huh? So tell us again why you passed a law to teach the Bible in public schools? And voted to ban gay marriage in 2005?

Texas Voters Approve Ban on Gay Marriage

And you still had sodomy laws on the books till 2003 until the US Supreme Court struck it down?
Actually, there is one type of person Texans lookdown on and that is BITTER, ANGRY AND HATEFUL people regardless of race. I see far less racism and hate here in Houston than I ever saw in NY or California. I know it makes you mad, but it is the truth.

And who exactly is the "you" that you refer to?? Stop painting with a broad brush, although I believe that is what extreme far leftists are good at doing.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times
[quote=jluke65780;7060811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
BUT they are nowhere near 100% liberal.[/quote]

and that is a bad thing??? I'd honestly rather be known as a conservative state than a liberal state (We see how those so called "progressive" states are doing now).
Heck yeah, I love the fact that we are doing well. The reason for it is being fiscally conservative and creating a favorable climate for business.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i love texans texas and conservatives. lots of smart conservatives around.
but smart people do dumb things sometimes. it happens.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 AM

35 posts, read 73,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Texas has actually been a historically Blue state.
The blue to red shift seen in southern states since the middle of the last century has a lot to do with race.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

I'm about as conservative as they get, and I don't consider myself narrow-minded at all.
Most people are not going to self-identify with being "narrow-minded." I would have to agree that conjoining conservative with "narrow-minded" does not create a neutral grounds for discussion. It might be safe to say that minds narrow the more one holds an extreme viewpoint on the spectrum.

I am not conservative, but I don't think it is fair to associate conservativism with narrow-mindedness.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I cling to my religion and guns ... is that a definition of conservative??????

How do those two mix? Like Peanut Butter and Chocolate?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They passed a law allowing for the teaching of the Bible in school as an elective this year.
They did? Wow, what happened to seperating Church and State? I'd caution the supporters of this to watch out. This will be challenged in court and the result will be electives in the Koran or perhaps even the Wiccan Bible.

This...

Megachurch Search Results - Hartford Institute for Religion Research

Gives me the sense that Texas has an adundance of churches (some of those churches are HUGE) to cover the Bible adequately. I went to Bible school on Sundays and, in a childhood, mostly covered the book - why do you need coverage in a State-run school?

Anyhow, do you have a link on the legislation?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,279 times
I LOVE Texas....can't stand gays, liberal hippies, and atheists. Im glad that alot of em are moving out here though, they need a big ole' Texan cowboy to give em a dose of get right!!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I LOVE Texas....can't stand gays, liberal hippies, and atheists. Im glad that alot of em are moving out here though, they need a big ole' Texan cowboy to give em a dose of get right!!
If you're out of work due to the economy, please consider dropping an application with these folks - Texas Tourism. I think they could really use a cowboy like yourself.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
They did? Wow, what happened to seperating Church and State? I'd caution the supporters of this to watch out. This will be challenged in court and the result will be electives in the Koran or perhaps even the Wiccan Bible.
I don't see a problem with an elective course in Bible studies. And as THL posted earlier, it is really oriented to relate to literature, not religion per se. So far as the Koran and Wiccan Bible go? Well, if there is enough interest in an elective course on these two subjects, then fine and dandy. It should be a decision made at the local level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas