Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 15,443 times

Advertisements

Keep Austin Weird!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Spade, I think you are dreaming...Yes, trends will always swing, and things will change, but Texas is nowhere near converting to a democrat voting state... Maybe 20 years from now, not in 2010 or 2012..

Nita
To say Texas is nowhere near converting is being disingenous. The leaders of the Republican party will tell you themselves that their party in the state has already peaked. They will also tell you that the democrats are starting to become more confident to take the state in the near future. I never said anything about 2010 or 2012. I did however say that in 2012, Texas could become a swing state. Changing demographics and a growing urban population is starting to change the face of Texas for better or for worse. For me personally, I wouldn't want the state to become solid republican or solid democratic anymore. Be open minded is my motto and listen to both sides.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To say Texas is nowhere near converting is being disingenous. The leaders of the Republican party will tell you themselves that their party in the state has already peaked. They will also tell you that the democrats are starting to become more confident to take the state in the near future. I never said anything about 2010 or 2012. I did however say that in 2012, Texas could become a swing state. Changing demographics and a growing urban population is starting to change the face of Texas for better or for worse. For me personally, I wouldn't want the state to become solid republican or solid democratic anymore. Be open minded is my motto and listen to both sides.
and you are open minded?

as for swing state, in 2012 any state could be a swing state depending on so many things, but the likelyhood of Texas being one is still pretty slim. As already mentioned, this past election isn't ever remotely related to what is happening or not happening within our country, anymore than 2080 was. The country wanted to see anyone even mildly connected with Bush out of the way...

Could you show me where it has been posted that the Republican Party in Texas has said the party has peaked. I would love to know who said that..
Nita

Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM

471 posts, read 587,330 times
Being open-minded? Thats hard to be. We all argue our point and try to push our ideas. Whatever happened to using facts and sound reasoning to prove you point to another person? Then the lesser point concedes? Oh wait...

That is an arguement between two conservatives. I forgot that we are in the era of hope and change where things happen through emotion and ideas. Oh and let us not forget to helpful talks too. Talks always fix things. Facts, actions and reason are way overated. History NEVER repeats itself. Every situation is new. We can never use prior experiences to deal with future situations.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you are open minded?

as for swing state, in 2012 any state could be a swing state depending on so many things, but the likelyhood of Texas being one is still pretty slim. As already mentioned, this past election isn't ever remotely related to what is happening or not happening within our country, anymore than 2080 was. The country wanted to see anyone even mildly connected with Bush out of the way...

Could you show me where it has been posted that the Republican Party in Texas has said the party has peaked. I would love to know who said that..
Nita
Yes I am open minded and you keep those little sly sarcastic smiley faces to yourself. Act like an adult please. As far as 2012, pundits and even other forumers on other urban/city based forums similar to this believe Texas is headed that way. It will go the way of Virginia or Florida is now. It's basically inevitable. It all comes down to 2010. If the Democrats continue their silly spending and shows no signs of progessing the country, than the republicans have nothing to worry about. If they do, well.....

Read this article. It states it in the article.
Democrats Stage a Revival in Texas

Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Yes I am open minded and you keep those little sly sarcastic smiley faces to yourself. Act like an adult please. As far as 2012, pundits and even other forumers on other urban/city based forums similar to this believe Texas is headed that way. It will go the way of Virginia or Florida is now. It's basically inevitable. It all comes down to 2010. If the Democrats continue their silly spending and shows no signs of progessing the country, than the republicans have nothing to worry about. If they do, well.....

Read this article. It states it in the article.
Democrats Stage a Revival in Texas
that was a very interesting article in a very liberal publication..what would one expect to see? An article about how great the republican movement is?

I will give you credit, in the very long winded article there was one referance to an old republican chairman stating the party had peaked..Of course we can all look hard enough to find something that proves our point and you did prove it was written..It wiould take more than one or even 5 articles to make anyone take these types of statements seriously..

All I will say is: time will tell, we will see what happens in 3 years..

Nita

Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Quote:
The leaders of the Republican party will tell you themselves that their party in the state has already peaked.

Really? Which ones? I didn't know this.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,638 times
Default Damn Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Well said. The "blue/liberal" leanings in Texas are mostly the result of transplants and immigrants.

Those two groups are the reason why Florida has gone Blue . But, unlike in Florida, Texas does have a sizable native population that remains quite conservative.

I don't see Texas following Florida down the Blue path anytime soon. (Hopefully FL will get off that path, now that all these Yankees are starting to go back up North )

I agree. My wife and I are coming up to Texas from CA over the 4th of July weekend for a pretty big rally in the Dallas area. I think its at Southfork Ranch. Anyway, we are native Californian's and used to be republican. We are now libertarian. We are looking to get out of this state where everyone is a bunch of lefties who only watch reality TV shows and just vote for people because they like the way the look while making a speech. This states a joke. When the economy really tanks (hyper-inflation, unemployment at 25%, even bigger government) we want to be in a place where people are willing to stand up and not be slaves to a government taking away personal freedoms. Both of our parents are now making the same plans. Looks like Texas might get even more conservative as people immigrate there. Hopefully all the Yankees in TX will move toward the North as we come over there.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziarnick View Post
I agree. My wife and I are coming up to Texas from CA over the 4th of July weekend for a pretty big rally in the Dallas area. I think its at Southfork Ranch. Anyway, we are native Californian's and used to be republican. We are now libertarian. We are looking to get out of this state where everyone is a bunch of lefties who only watch reality TV shows and just vote for people because they like the way the look while making a speech. This states a joke. When the economy really tanks (hyper-inflation, unemployment at 25%, even bigger government) we want to be in a place where people are willing to stand up and not be slaves to a government taking away personal freedoms. Both of our parents are now making the same plans. Looks like Texas might get even more conservative as people immigrate there. Hopefully all the Yankees in TX will move toward the North as we come over there.
My husband and son in law will be there as well, I think. My daughter and I will be doing our usual July 4th weekend canning for the winter. I know it sound like we just came off the farm, not really, we don't grow the stuff (most of it anyway) we get it from the Farmers market but it has become a bonding 3 days for us, my mom and I did it, now my daughter and I, plus my one granddaughter hopes to get involved in another few years.

Back to the rally, I think they are hoping for 50,000. That is what we have heard.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bziarnick View Post
You're from California--you ARE a Yankee!

And I find it slightly weird that you're leaving CALIFORNIA for Texas because you're looking for a state where the government isn't "taking away personal freedoms" when California's government has generally always been more tolerant of "personal freedoms" like abortion and homosexuality and racial diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas