Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

Comservative yes but narrow mind no. Unless you thnik that people who don't just change their minds with the trend; value their roots and morals of their parents are narrow minded.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,454,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I started this thread not to bash Texas, but to get some legitimate opinions from people who live in or have been to Texas. I admit, I have somewhat of a prejeduce against Texas for various reasons, but reading what people say on this forum has greatly changed my mind and I do not dislike it as much anymore.

It seems like Texas has a reputation for being very conservative, politically (more so than other southern states) and very "tough" and "competitive", I guess you'd say. My biggest question is, is this accurate? Is it really any more conservative than other states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc.? I used to think that it very much was, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that Texas a very diverse, complex state, with many different demographic factors, and you can't generalize a state with 24 million people (2nd most populous state in the country) in any way.

So obviously, like any other state, Texas has many different geographic regions and areas that are all different. So my question for Texans is, when you compare apples to apples, are big cities in Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.) more conservative than big cities in other states? Are small towns in Texas more conservative/narrow-minded than other small towns? Are metropolitan areas as whole (Dallas and Houston) more conservative than other metropolitan areas as a whole? This is what has intrigued me the most.

Again, this is not an anti-Texas thread, I'm geniunely interested in the perspectives of people who have spent a significant amount of time in Texas.

my only question to you: Why is being conservative considered to be "close minded". And why do you think being conservative is a bad thing?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
my only question to you: Why is being conservative considered to be "close minded". And why do you think being conservative is a bad thing?
because some people with a weird way of thinking believe that the government should step in and solve all problems, cater to illegal aliens, create a giant welfare state, trump religion, take the guns away from armed citizens, and make people who don't agree with them feel like second class citizens

Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
I only become "narrow-mind" when I read stuff like the below ...

"Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is?"

Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
I'm a liberal consecrative or maybe a consecrative liberal.

I believe in doing the right thing and voted for George B. Yet I'm for legalizing pot and gambling but want the govt to stay out of my life as much as possible and not distribute my wealth.

I have a gay son and believe he was born that way.

Complex isn't it.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 10,360 times
Texans are very independent. We won our independence from Mexico on our terms, and we joined the United States on our terms. We are one of the few states that do not run state deficits, so we are financially stable unlike America's most liberal state California. The economy of Texas seems to be almost recession proof. Sure, things have slowed down in the recent months so we are not totally immune, but nowhere in Texas are we seeing cities full of foreclosed homes for sale. We have all the natural resources, medical resources, education resources, and industrial resources to become a prosperous independent nation, and we have a right to choose to do so without question. The pure definition of conservationism means as little government intervention in the private sector (of industry and life) as possible. We're independent, and don't like being told what we have to do.

I'm not sure what the OP meant when he/she compared conservative to narrow-minded. Perhaps they are comparing conservative with religious beliefs. In that case, I'll just say this: I attended a public high school in a small "red" town, and we had lessons on evolution and a comprehensive sexual education class.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:26 PM

471 posts, read 587,365 times
I went to a small town school, about 800 people in the town and 30 in my class. We where all far more conservative than we thought. We drank, partied in the fields, floated the river and had fun. We hauled hay, worked at crappy gas stations, and mowed lawns. Some girls ended up pregnant at an early age(if 19 is early :/). Some of the guys did a little pot, maybe more I’m not to sure. One thing is for sure though. We where all very well educated, had a 0% drop out rate, and i cant think of a single one that didn’t at least have SOME college. Even if a only a semester or two.
I don’t know what this makes us or what our "type" would be, but every time I have to go to a job in Houston I cant help but shake my head at almost everyone that I see. I rarely see a door held for a lady. No one waves at you. If you make eye contact and smile at a person they look at you like you have lost your mind. Everyone talks about this one world union of people and social well being, but I think its more the IDEA that they like. People are so disconnected from one another in these liberal social cesspools that it make me laugh to think of the utopian ideas so many of them push.
Everything come down to morals with me. People know right and wrong. People know when they are lazy SOBs too. If you do what’s right in life, pay your own way, and treat people with respect I don’t see what is wrong with that.( and not the broad sweeping “I respect everyone’s opinions, but face to face I ignore their existence“, crap either). I guess if being genuinely courteous to people and having real morals make you a conservative then count me in that group. Now if the IDEA of helping people and the IDEA of being kind are what you fancy I guess I don’t fit there.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I only become "narrow-mind" when I read stuff like the below ...

"Is Texas really as conservative/narrow-minded as people say it is?"
that is a good one

Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
You sound libertarian dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm a liberal consecrative or maybe a consecrative liberal.

I believe in doing the right thing and voted for George B. Yet I'm for legalizing pot and gambling but want the govt to stay out of my life as much as possible and not distribute my wealth.

I have a gay son and believe he was born that way.

Complex isn't it.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,565 times
I am a Conservative and proud of it , why do you make it sound bad, to have family morals, be a church goer, believe your country & state can be the best it can, and be proud of who you are and what you stand for, work hard for a living help your friends and family. Frankly I believe the Libs, and alot of democrats to be very judgemental, If we Texans are not the kind of people you want to be around why not stay in the area that best suits your life style and beliefs instead of coming to an area you wish to change to suit your needs & beliefs Im a Texan and very proud of my state and the people in it we are a very hard working state that has a rich heritage and I hope we will keep it that way. Sorry you want to Bash Texas which really is bash Texans Shame on you maybe we can broaden your mind and you can become proud of who you are and where your from and stop with the conservative bashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas