Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times

Advertisements

[quote=jluke65780;7060811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
BUT they are nowhere near 100% liberal.[/quote]

and that is a bad thing??? I'd honestly rather be known as a conservative state than a liberal state (We see how those so called "progressive" states are doing now).
noooooo, that's a good thing.... If we live like liberals we will be broke like they are in California.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
They did? Wow, what happened to seperating Church and State? I'd caution the supporters of this to watch out. This will be challenged in court and the result will be electives in the Koran or perhaps even the Wiccan Bible.

This...

Megachurch Search Results - Hartford Institute for Religion Research

Gives me the sense that Texas has an adundance of churches (some of those churches are HUGE) to cover the Bible adequately. I went to Bible school on Sundays and, in a childhood, mostly covered the book - why do you need coverage in a State-run school?

Anyhow, do you have a link on the legislation?
I posted a link and the statute earlier.

What Wiccan Bible? Wicca doesn't have a bible, to the best of my knowledge - not that kind of religion (though there is the Wiccan Rede, but it's not a bible.

You'll note that the elective course would be on religious texts as they relate to literature and also their impact on history, so presumably an elective in the Koran would not be at all out of order. You'll also note the stricture to avoid any favoritism or teaching of animosity towards any belief system that is written into the statute.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM

256 posts, read 750,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I LOVE Texas....can't stand gays, liberal hippies, and atheists. Im glad that alot of em are moving out here though, they need a big ole' Texan cowboy to give em a dose of get right!!

Not helping your case.

And padcrasher, what's wrong with teaching the Bible as an ELECTIVE? It would be one thing if they mandated it but honestly, the Bible is a really important piece of literature, whether you believe any of it or not, so I don't see any problem with teaching it to kids who want to learn about it in the first place.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I LOVE Texas....can't stand gays, liberal hippies, and atheists. Im glad that alot of em are moving out here though, they need a big ole' Texan cowboy to give em a dose of get right!!

Yee-haw, you tell 'em! It's statements like this that makes me extremely ashamed of my state and alma mater sometimes. There are no doubt issues, but fortunately the majority of us do not think this way. But nor are we in the leftist extreme, which is in many ways no different from the extreme right if you spend a minute to actually think about it.

But as long as you just keep on proliferating the stereotype, we Aggies (and Texans) will continue to be labeled, just as you labeled yourself.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post

Not helping your case.

And padcrasher, what's wrong with teaching the Bible as an ELECTIVE? It would be one thing if they mandated it but honestly, the Bible is a really important piece of literature, whether you believe any of it or not, so I don't see any problem with teaching it to kids who want to learn about it in the first place.
It just goes to show Texas is more open-minded and the people who live here are willing to try anything. We even have high schools that have something like lesbian/homosexuals clubs.

At Baylor University, first year students are required to take two semesters of chapel and when people think of chapel they think it will just be studying the bible and memorizing scriptures. Many people (including non-believers) come out of the class and actually like it because it was so different than what they were led to believe. I bet you will have tons of non-believers enrolling in these bible classes because they aren't afraid to try new things.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yee-haw, you tell 'em! It's statements like this that makes me extremely ashamed of my state and alma mater sometimes. There are no doubt issues, but fortunately the majority of us do not think this way. But nor are we in the leftist extreme, which is in many ways no different from the extreme right if you spend a minute to actually think about it.

But as long as you just keep on proliferating the stereotype, we Aggies (and Texans) will continue to be labeled, just as you labeled yourself.
It is too many people like TX_Aggie that represent this state and send out the wrong messages making the world believe were backwards.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 74,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I posted a link and the statute earlier.

What Wiccan Bible? Wicca doesn't have a bible, to the best of my knowledge - not that kind of religion (though there is the Wiccan Rede, but it's not a bible.

You'll note that the elective course would be on religious texts as they relate to literature and also their impact on history, so presumably an elective in the Koran would not be at all out of order. You'll also note the stricture to avoid any favoritism or teaching of animosity towards any belief system that is written into the statute.
It's a slipperly slope.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM

20 posts, read 39,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
If you're out of work due to the economy, please consider dropping an application with these folks - Texas Tourism. I think they could really use a cowboy like yourself.
Appreciated, ahuimanu.

TXAGGIE, people like you are probably the main reason why my wife and I cannot get out of Texas soon enough. There are way too many people like you that outnumber that people here who are actually and genuinely nice, that are liberal (or if they are conservative, they're more "live and let live").

Thanks for reinforcing my feelings.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Brass, I wouldn't say 'outnumber'. Most people here are pretty normal. We have our outspoken kooks, just like California has their own breed. The two states are pretty similar in this way, and have a bad reputation because of these people.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Well, the label fits, and I'll wear it!! Im not looking to be socialy accepted by liberals. I don't go around voicing my opinion normally, but in here I have no problem with it in here since it seems there is a constant flow of vocal liberalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas