Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 01:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I was talking about Lubbock's healthcare industry in that post. Even though Lubbock is half the size of El Paso, Albuquerque, and Tucson, we have a bigger hospital district. By some accounts, our hospitals are more advanced than those in Phoenix.
I highly doubt the hospitals in Lubbock are more advanced than the ones in Phoenix. Especially with Phoenix being the capital of a much more populated region AND state. I can sort of believe Albuquerque though.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,580,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I highly doubt the hospitals in Lubbock are more advanced than the ones in Phoenix. Especially with Phoenix being the capital of a much more populated region AND state. I can sort of believe Albuquerque though.
Yeah, I have a hard time believing it myself, but apparently there is a lot of medical research here because of the university. Weather it surpasses Phoenix is highly doubtful, but it for sure passes those other three cities I mentioned.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM

Phoenix has its own major universities though, which is why I don't believe it. Plus, it's a metro area of four million. Lubbock is above the other three you named though.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Especially with Phoenix being the capital of a much more populated region AND state.
Arizona's population is nowhere near being more populated than TX!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Arizona's population is nowhere near being more populated than TX!
Who said it was? You totally missed what I was saying. Westerner got it though.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
The original question isn't specific enough.

But I will say this -- there are two major players in Texas, and they are Houston and Dallas. Those are the two powerhouses. The one problem with Dallas in this sense (if you want to get technical about it) is that many company headquarters are located in its suburb cities rather than Dallas itself.

Next would be San Antonio.

Then you've got Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso...

I'd say those are the "major" cities.

After that comes Midland/Odessa, Beaumont, Victoria, Lubbock, Corpus, Brownsville, Waco...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
The OP asks which cities in TX would you consider major cities, and I still stand by what I say. No one talks about Houston or Dallas except on these forums as well, lets not act like it's up there with NYC or LA. The media refers to the cities I mentioned as major cities, not just small cities.

The problem is that people in large cities automatically assume they are above the rest of TX, but those cities aren't the only thing that makes Texas unique, it's the smaller cities as well.

If the OP asked which cities do you think other people consider as major cities in TX, than I'd agree; However, as a Texan myself, I consider the cities I mentioned as major.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
No offense to the residents, but the only people that talk about those cities are people on this forum. To include those cities is insane! Most people in the US don't even know where those cities ARE. If you have noticed, population is not the only criteria for a major city. IMO Texas has about 4 major cities: 2 are solid and the other 2 are iffy. I think you need to try living in some new cities. Get a clue!
I live in Houston.....just from Waco. Unlike the rest of the people on this board, I also realize there is more to Texas than just Houston and Dallas...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I live in Houston.....just from Waco. Unlike the rest of the people on this board, I also realize there is more to Texas than just Houston and Dallas...
I don't think that's what people were saying. I think they are saying Houston and Dallas are in the first "tier" of Texas cities, while everywhere else follows. And by most measures, I'd agree.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't think that's what people were saying. I think they are saying Houston and Dallas are in the first "tier" of Texas cities, while everywhere else follows. And by most measures, I'd agree.
Right! Dallas and Houston aren't on the same level as NYC, LA or Chicago, but they are much closer to that group of cities than any of the other cities in Texas. They might not be talked about as much as those cities either, but nationally, they are only two cities from this region that can match those cities in terms of sheer presence (and to a lesser extent quality) of amenities. (Screw the media.) And yes, this is your opinion. I was just joining the (majority) group of people on this forum that don't agree with your opinion.

But whatever, I'm done with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas