Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 05:05 AM

54 posts, read 45,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That really is too bad. London was one of the definitive places for fashion back in the Swinging 60's, even more so than many places here in North America. How the world has changed.
Perhaps so - I wouldn't know as I was not alive in those times. The average Jack and Joe here is not so well dressed, to be honest. I think the fashion scene here, as one Brit described to me, is more of a grunge / rock style...very loose and laid-back cheap clothes. Basically the items just do not flow or co-ordinate well together. Anyway from what I have witnessed Primark is hugely popular - I went into one on Oxford Street just out of curiosity and it's definitely not my cup of tea.

However it all depends on which neighborhood you're in. In Chelsea the locals there are a bit more well dressed, but in my opinion it still is nothing compare to the more fashionable Italians and the French.

I believe that all the bankers who work in The City also dress down outside of their working hours.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I don't much like big cities but London is one of the few I could see myself living in provided I had enough £. I would certainly much prefer it over Toronto.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I don't much like big cities but London is one of the few I could see myself living in provided I had enough £. I would certainly much prefer it over Toronto.
London has been my dream since my high school days in Joburg, South Africa. In fact Canada too was my dream as I had friends who either lived in Vancouver / Toronto for a couple of years or they had families that lived there.

I accomplished and experienced living in Toronto from 2011 - 2015, and was very fortunate to apply for immigration and therefore obtain my PR status. However now that I am living in London, I am SOOO happy to be here that I wish I made the move years ago when most of my friends from SA were living here. Most of them are back in Joburg.

I absolutely love London - it is for me just SOO much bigger and more energtic than Toronto (and I lived downtown so I see the huge difference). People are generally very happy and friendly here, and there is just so much going on that one can never get bored.

Will I return to Toronto? Nah, not sure...so far I am extremely satisfied living here. Also I have EU citizenship so therefore this allows me to live + work here for the next couple of years, until the laws relating to BREXIT are implemented. Although and from talking to several Brittish, I don't believe they can kick out the European citizens who are already settled here and are working. That would require hald or more of the working force in London to disappear, as there are just so many Spanish, Italians, French, Greeks working here in well-paid jobs.

Is London expensive? Only accomodation + public transport is more expensive than in Toronto. However I would say that most of London realtor market is made up of rentals, with many families renting houses (leaving the ownership to the upper middle class or obviously older money). With respect to the public transport - it is a well known fact the public transport is absolutely brilliant here, and hardly any professional working in The City actually drives to the office. Groceries are significantly cheaper (particularly at Aldo which is a German supermarket chain - all groceries are significantly cheaper there than in any supermarkets in Toronto). Also clothes prices are very comparable to Toronto prices. Its very commong to find tops, sweaters going for 10 Pounds or so. However I chose quality over quantity and therefore usually stick to Italian and French boutiques (last time I did major shopping was in Paris).

Anyway there is areason why millions of people move to London to study or work each year. It simply is an amazing city to be in. Would I live anywhere else? Only Paris or New York.

Last edited by sarx_121; 09-26-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
London is certainly a great city to live in if you want to travel and for great prices. Flights compared to from Toronto were so cheap. I had a good time in London, but my situation was likely very different then yours. I was in university still and did not have much ( lol.. more like any money). I would love to visit again someday. Glad that you are enjoying it.
You have to come and visit. I am sure London was very different back then (not sure when you were here). Do let me know if you manage to come over :-)

Oh btw I have met quite a few Canadians already here (living and working). Two are native Torontonians, and the other whom I went to a fahion event with - is from Vancouver, but he grew up in Sweden. He has lived here for 17 years and absolutely loves it.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I don't understand how you can be such a hypocrite. You are all up in arms when people say toronto women are cold yet you completely generalize all these suits as womanizers. If you don't want ro be generalized maybe you should stop doing it yourself.
Amen :-) So 100% true.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL. I didn't realize this thread was 64 pages long already.
I gather this is a record for the Toronto forum?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
Interesting observation, EuropeanAnna. I am from Ukraine myself and moved to Toronto when I was 10 with my parents. I am 30 now and moved back to Ukraine 2 years ago for work. I absolutely love it here (speaking Russian really helps). I must say that my social life is night and day despite moving here and not knowing anyone. I was able to make up for all my lost years in Toronto with asking out and having relationships with such awesome and beautiful 10/10 women that would never lay their eyes on me in Toronto.

Yes I am making less money but money is relative and the way I see it you only have one shot at life & you won't ever get back your youth. To me my environment and healthy social life are just as important as money if not more.

I don't want to come back to Toronto. It's a toxic place for human interaction. I advise you to go back to Europe.
You need to check out Prague! Prague is AMAZING (also I am biased as I am Czech).

Old 09-26-2016, 07:24 PM

298 posts, read 276,984 times
Just came back from Athens, Greece and the dating scene there is amazing, wish the whole entire world can learn from these countries.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM

287 posts, read 306,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Just came back from Athens, Greece and the dating scene there is amazing, wish the whole entire world can learn from these countries.
Just came back from Nashville and felt the same ....
but I am sure someone is going to say hey you are free to leave and nobody is stopping you from moving there... any second now

Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 AM

298 posts, read 276,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Just came back from Nashville and felt the same ....
but I am sure someone is going to say hey you are free to leave and nobody is stopping you from moving there... any second now
Most people can't, they live somewhere stranded in a place where they thought these things were convenient for most of them but they can't just move right away just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto