Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:00 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Not that I believe it matters, but I am Caucasian, with Puerto Rican and American heritage. Growing up here, race and culture really did not mean much. In high school, social groups were racially heterogeanous. When I go into the city and observe social groups, they are also racially heterogeanous for the most part among those 40 and younger who grew up with Multiculturalism. I always had very diverse groups of friends, and dated women of different races and cultural backgrounds from mine. I was with the same woman for 10 years, and only broke up with her at 30. Toug time to rebuild one's life. I had also just left Toronto and moved back to the suburb I grew up in. Very hard to build a new social group at this age.
I have mixed feelings of the race and culture meaning much in Toronto. I might be similar to you in a sense that I could pass for a lot of stuff and there were not alot of people from my own background growing up in Toronto. So I by default could slip in with a lot of groups of people and people we often forget that I was not part of the cultural group ex when they would tell really cutlurally offensive jokes in front of me. Just you are from the same culture does not actually mean you will be attracted to each other physically and mentally. Not sure if it is a good idea that someone limit themselves that way and also that leaves people like me shut out as a minority from a minority group I am not likely to find anyone exactly from the same background anywhere.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarx_121 View Post
Compare to other cosmopolitan cities like Paris, yes I have to agree. I left Toronto after 4 years living there, and I'm in Europe currently. Its funny how I was approached whilst in Paris...I am in Warsaw currently and the people here are just so sweet and nice (not fake-ish like many Torontonians).

I think the long and cold winters have alot to do with the "strangeness" of Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I had good fun in Toronto but found myself somtimes exhausted from trying to break into certain social circles.

One of my mates, just left the city after spending 13 years there - he is now living and enjoying himself in Thailand. Eventhough he lived in London, Tokyo and Berling prior living in Toronto - he had to agree that Toronto is a city with little soul. He basically felt exhausted.

Paris - LOL. I think people are very casual about sex and hooking up, but think not so good in terms of long term relationships with fedility. Personally I would define that as calus and cold. Ex sex with no really sincerity or emontion other then lust. I have been there a few times and had to laugh because men that were even working/ on duty would be asking you out. I went there alone one weekend and literally had at least 4 different men ask me out on a date on the first day (ex while walking around for 6 hours in the city). But in reality I felt the intention was literally just to hook up. To me that seems a little cold in the bigger picture.

London - I lived an area where men seems literally pretty nuts. You would be in a phone booth using the phoen and they would be banging on the doors trying to talk with you. There is persistant and you need to have someone kick your butt for approaching someone that way. In other parts of the city I was just not really feeling the guys there. I went on some dates ( a few set ups), but honestly had more fun meeting guys in other places. I found men and people there drink way too much and for me I can't stand drunks.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 PM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Paris - LOL. I think people are very casual about sex and hooking up, but think not so good in terms of long term relationships with fedility. Personally I would define that as calus and cold. Ex sex with no really sincerity or emontion other then lust. I have been there a few times and had to laugh because men that were even working/ on duty would be asking you out. I went there alone one weekend and literally had at least 4 different men ask me out on a date on the first day (ex while walking around for 6 hours in the city). But in reality I felt the intention was literally just to hook up. To me that seems a little cold in the bigger picture.

London - I lived an area where men seems literally pretty nuts. You would be in a phone booth using the phoen and they would be banging on the doors trying to talk with you. There is persistant and you need to have someone kick your butt for approaching someone that way. In other parts of the city I was just not really feeling the guys there. I went on some dates ( a few set ups), but honestly had more fun meeting guys in other places. I found men and people there drink way too much and for me I can't stand drunks.
Thati s not cold. You are revising what it means. If anything they are very liberal sexually. Cold would be flat out ignoring you exist. If anything they are overtly sexual. And people actually enjoy that type of interaction. People actually like being hit on. I don't know why you don't seem to want to understand that.

Then again you say yourself anyone that approaches ty you feel has an agenda. This is the problem why people complain about Toronto socially. Because not everyone does.

To me it seems like toronot fits yor personality which is why you don't understand why people like other places better. Good for you. You enjoy it. Other people don't and move out.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Puerto Ricans in Canada ... lol? They do exist ? Then again he implied 1/2 lol ! I am sorry maybe it is just me, but everywhere I go in this city and the GTA I always run in to Latin American people and I am not talking about only when I got to Latin events. Also then again I question how in to that culture 1st or generation Canadians are. I was talking to some of my co-workers and find the 1st and 2nd generation ones are not always too interested in their own cultural events. I am to some extent, but other then the Caribbean Carnival and West Indian Restaurants I don't actually go to events organized by the Caribbean community which holds lots of Fetes/ events throughout the year. My parents did and sometimes still do. I just as likely to go to any event then one from my own backgroud.
Not many Puerto Ricans in canada at all. Especially compared to the northeast states. Puerto Ricans there are like Indians and asians here.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:00 PM

400 posts, read 422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Thati s not cold. You are revising what it means. If anything they are very liberal sexually. Cold would be flat out ignoring you exist. If anything they are overtly sexual. And people actually enjoy that type of interaction. People actually like being hit on. I don't know why you don't seem to want to understand that.

Then again you say yourself anyone that approaches ty you feel has an agenda. This is the problem why people complain about Toronto socially. Because not everyone does.

To me it seems like toronot fits yor personality which is why you don't understand why people like other places better. Good for you. You enjoy it. Other people don't and move out.
"..I don't know why you don't seem to want to understand that..."

..because I think she's trying to tell you in her post that she's a committed female member of the homo torontensis tribe, Karrassmatic. One of the noted features of that group of humans is that the female gender evinces a pronounced distaste for the members of the opposite gender. The patron saint of the toronto female is Greta Garbo in her reclusive phase, when she famously declaimed.."I vant (want) to be left alone...".

Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post

..because I think she's trying to tell you in her post that she's a committed female member of the homo torontensis tribe, Karrassmatic. One of the noted features of that group of humans is that the female gender evinces a pronounced distaste for the members of the opposite gender. The patron saint of the toronto female is Greta Garbo in her reclusive phase, when she famously declaimed.."I vant (want) to be left alone...".
Lol. Makes sense. pretty large tribe here.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Not exactly ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post

When I think of someone as being cold. I am thinking of someone that lacks regard for other human beings (ex they only care about what they get out of the situation and just as easily could not care about what happens to the other person or their well being in the situation).

For examples:

A married person trying to have a one night stand with someone concealing they are married pursues someone even though the other person expresses they are looking for a relationship.

A person manipulates someone less sexually experienced in to performing sexual acts or being in situations that might be harmful or dangerous to them.

A person who only cares about their interests and could careless about other people ex. I want to have sex with you, but could careless if I end up getting your pregnant, physically hurting you in the process or giving you a sexually transit disease.

Sadly I hear and know of way too many situations where men literally get want they want and when they are done could careless about the other pesron and the condition they leave them in.

People who lack general compassion and respect of other human beings.

I am not referring to someone who wants to have consensual sex with someone in general.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post

I think you just don't care to understand the other view. People have the right to allow who they do or don't want in to their lives. I don't have to be nice or mean unless I want to. It is about choice. I like many other women and men I know can turn on and off charm and all other traits when we want to. This is not a communist and/or third world country. No one is forcing anyone to act a certain way in this city. I think you just might not get Toronto women or know or pursue the wrong ones.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Puerto Ricans in Canada ... lol? They do exist ? Then again he implied 1/2 lol ! I am sorry maybe it is just me, but everywhere I go in this city and the GTA I always run in to Latin American people and I am not talking about only when I got to Latin events. Also then again I question how in to that culture 1st or generation Canadians are. I was talking to some of my co-workers and find the 1st and 2nd generation ones are not always too interested in their own cultural events. I am to some extent, but other then the Caribbean Carnival and West Indian Restaurants I don't actually go to events organized by the Caribbean community which holds lots of Fetes/ events throughout the year. My parents did and sometimes still do. I just as likely to go to any event then one from my own backgroud.
Where do most Latinos live in Toronto because I didn't really encounter many when I lived there, except for very few places like that restaurant I told you about, lol. In MTL they are definitely easy to find in certain areas.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
When I think of someone as being cold. I am thinking of someone that lacks regard for other human beings (ex they only care about what they get out of the situation and just as easily could not care about what happens to the other person or their well being in the situation).

For examples:

A married person trying to have a one night stand with someone concealing they are married pursues someone even though the other person expresses they are looking for a relationship.

A person manipulates someone less sexually experienced in to performing sexual acts or being in situations that might be harmful or dangerous to them.

A person who only cares about their interests and could careless about other people ex. I want to have sex with you, but could careless if I end up getting your pregnant, physically hurting you in the process or giving you a sexually transit disease.

Sadly I hear and know of way too many situations where men literally get want they want and when they are done could careless about the other pesron and the condition they leave them in.

People who lack general compassion and respect of other human beings.

I am not referring to someone who wants to have consensual sex with someone in general.
Cold hearted and cold are not the same. You can be cold hearted and seem to be super nice and friendly. You can appear to be cold but be the a nice docile person I believe most torontonians fit into the latter. Appear to be cold but really just soft on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto