Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
You are absolutely right, Europeananna! Lived here my whole life and I can't stand the loneliness. I will tell you right now why men are not hitting on you, and NOLA hit the nail on the head: Toronto guys are so used to being rejected by the women of Toronto that they get demoralized and look for oartners within their own social circles. Meeting someone in a bar or public place who actually wants to be your friend or go on a date with you? Never happened to me in 36 years of living here. Lots of nice chit-chat. Women are frosty, especially if they are pretty. I just avoid them now. I am a young, educated, tall, decent looking and have been single for six years, without a single date. I'm thinking of becoming a monk. I have the chastity thing down, lol. Toronto is a great place for single men to lead a quiet life of contemplation and celebacy. Sorry for the sarcasm. I am bitter, in case you didn't notice, although it is somehow comforting to know that attractive women are frustrated with this desert too. It would be nice to meet a smart attractive woman who didn't immediately become standoffish the moment you open your mouth. Never mind attempting a kiss! I would settle for a fist bump these days. Christ.
Hmm slightly different experience here. I've managed to score dates almost every week over the past 2-3 months. I use a variety of channels, online (Tinder), and offline meeting people at work, volunteer activities, gym, and surprisingly, random encounters and chats on the street or even one time at grocery store and gas station... Generally my experience has been that it's very easy to hit up with a good conversation with strangers on the street, as long as you are open, dare to go out your comfort zone for a bit, and show some level of humor by not taking yourself too seriously (I like to make fun of myself and my own misadventures...). Most of them have led to at least a coffee/dinner/movie date and some have gone on to 2nd, 3rd+ dates with more intimacy. I'm also a young (26), educated, tall, athletic decent looking dude with a great job. I also live with a female roommate and she's introduced me to her circle of friends. Overall, rarely lacking company unless I purposely shut myself in the room, but that's just my experience thus far.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:57 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Hmm slightly different experience here. I've managed to score dates almost every week over the past 2-3 months. I use a variety of channels, online (Tinder), and offline meeting people at work, volunteer activities, gym, and surprisingly, random encounters and chats on the street or even one time at grocery store and gas station... Generally my experience has been that it's very easy to hit up with a good conversation with strangers on the street, as long as you are open, dare to go out your comfort zone for a bit, and show some level of humor by not taking yourself too seriously (I like to make fun of myself and my own misadventures...). Most of them have led to at least a coffee/dinner/movie date and some have gone on to 2nd, 3rd+ dates with more intimacy. I'm also a young (26), educated, tall, athletic decent looking dude with a great job. I also live with a female roommate and she's introduced me to her circle of friends. Overall, rarely lacking company unless I purposely shut myself in the room, but that's just my experience thus far.
I certainly have many encounters with strangers on the streets of Toronto, chats and whatnot. But i find that attractive women keep their eyes looking straight ahead, and make an effort to seem aloof. I don't want to approach someone who does not seem to want to be approached. Tinder has been a joke for me. I have matched with many women, but then never received a repy to my initial message. I don't even bother any more.

You are one of the lucky ones bostonkid. I am certainly not an introvert or awkward in social situations. I just find Toronto to be a cold place. Men and women, both.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
I certainly have many encounters with strangers on the streets of Toronto, chats and whatnot. But i find that attractive women keep their eyes looking straight ahead, and make an effort to seem aloof. I don't want to approach someone who does not seem to want to be approached. Tinder has been a joke for me. I have matched with many women, but then never received a repy to my initial message. I don't even bother any more.

You are one of the lucky ones bostonkid. I am certainly not an introvert or awkward in social situations. I just find Toronto to be a cold place. Men and women, both.
Part of it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy though when it comes to matters of being cold. It starts with the people making the claim - taking the initiative to truly warm things up. I bet you all the people who are complaining about the cold/reserved exterior of Toronto are probably supporting that to some degree. I'm a pretty warm anglo - and matched up well with my hot Venezuelan papi

If we didn't make eye contact that day and smiled - well....

Old 06-19-2016, 02:50 PM

126 posts, read 557,307 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right, Europeananna! Lived here my whole life and I can't stand the loneliness. I will tell you right now why men are not hitting on you, and NOLA hit the nail on the head: Toronto guys are so used to being rejected by the women of Toronto that they get demoralized and look for oartners within their own social circles. Meeting someone in a bar or public place who actually wants to be your friend or go on a date with you? Never happened to me in 36 years of living here. Lots of nice chit-chat. Women are frosty, especially if they are pretty. I just avoid them now. I am a young, educated, tall, decent looking and have been single for six years, without a single date. I'm thinking of becoming a monk. I have the chastity thing down, lol. Toronto is a great place for single men to lead a quiet life of contemplation and celebacy. Sorry for the sarcasm. I am bitter, in case you didn't notice, although it is somehow comforting to know that attractive women are frustrated with this desert too. It would be nice to meet a smart attractive woman who didn't immediately become standoffish the moment you open your mouth. Never mind attempting a kiss! I would settle for a fist bump these days. Christ.

What race are you?

That matters A LOT in Toronto.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:26 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
Sometimes I think this board consists of a room full of a bunch of drunken gorillas pounding a keyboard.

I'm not saying anything.... I'm just saying.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
What race are you?

He's Tellarite. I'm Bajoran. Do you think we stand a chance in Toronto dating scene?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:44 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
What race are you?

Not that I believe it matters, but I am Caucasian, with Puerto Rican and American heritage. Growing up here, race and culture really did not mean much. In high school, social groups were racially heterogeanous. When I go into the city and observe social groups, they are also racially heterogeanous for the most part among those 40 and younger who grew up with Multiculturalism. I always had very diverse groups of friends, and dated women of different races and cultural backgrounds from mine. I was with the same woman for 10 years, and only broke up with her at 30. Toug time to rebuild one's life. I had also just left Toronto and moved back to the suburb I grew up in. Very hard to build a new social group at this age.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Not that I believe it matters, but I am Caucasian, with Puerto Rican and American heritage.I always had very diverse groups of friends, and dated women of different races and cultural backgrounds from mine..
You have no choice. There are very very few Puerto Ricans in Canada. Even for dating other Latins the pool is limited.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:03 AM

54 posts, read 45,714 times
Default Have to agree here...

Quote:
I just find Toronto to be a cold place. Men and women, both.
Compare to other cosmopolitan cities like Paris, yes I have to agree. I left Toronto after 4 years living there, and I'm in Europe currently. Its funny how I was approached whilst in Paris...I am in Warsaw currently and the people here are just so sweet and nice (not fake-ish like many Torontonians).

I think the long and cold winters have alot to do with the "strangeness" of Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I had good fun in Toronto but found myself somtimes exhausted from trying to break into certain social circles.

One of my mates, just left the city after spending 13 years there - he is now living and enjoying himself in Thailand. Eventhough he lived in London, Tokyo and Berling prior living in Toronto - he had to agree that Toronto is a city with little soul. He basically felt exhausted.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:53 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Puerto Ricans in Canada ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You have no choice. There are very very few Puerto Ricans in Canada. Even for dating other Latins the pool is limited.
Puerto Ricans in Canada ... lol? They do exist ? Then again he implied 1/2 lol ! I am sorry maybe it is just me, but everywhere I go in this city and the GTA I always run in to Latin American people and I am not talking about only when I got to Latin events. Also then again I question how in to that culture 1st or generation Canadians are. I was talking to some of my co-workers and find the 1st and 2nd generation ones are not always too interested in their own cultural events. I am to some extent, but other then the Caribbean Carnival and West Indian Restaurants I don't actually go to events organized by the Caribbean community which holds lots of Fetes/ events throughout the year. My parents did and sometimes still do. I just as likely to go to any event then one from my own backgroud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto