Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
once you involve the public, they have a right to know.
Not according to law.

But it's safe to assume they have less than flatting information about Hannah; otherwise, there would be nothing to withhold from the public. Think about it. If a child is abducted and is horrific things happen to the child, details are released about the crime and what the accused did to the child. We know everything about what happened to Elizabeth Smart. The law protects minor victim's identities, but when there is an amber alert, it's impossible to protect their identities. The law also protects juvenile criminals. That's why it's safe to assume the police have inflammatory information about Hannah. If she was raped, they would have revealed that information about the crime committed by her abductor. Her identity is already out there due to the amber alert. What's left is protecting her personal actions as a juvenile. The law only protects the identity of victims who are minors. That leaves the police protecting juvenile records---an investigation into Hannah herself. That information will never be made public by authorities. The only way we'll learn about it is if Hannah talks to someone and they go to the press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not according to law.

But it's safe to assume they have less than flatting information about Hannah; otherwise, there would be nothing to withhold from the public. Think about it. If a child is abducted and is horrific things happen to the child, details are released about the crime and what the accused did to the child. We know everything about what happened to Elizabeth Smart. The law protects minor victim's identities, but when there is an amber alert, it's impossible to protect their identities. The law also protects juvenile criminals. That's why it's safe to assume the police have inflammatory information about Hannah. If she was raped, they would have revealed that information about the crime committed by her abductor. Her identity is already out there due to the amber alert. What's left is protecting her personal actions as a juvenile. The law only protects the identity of victims who are minors. That leaves the police protecting juvenile records---an investigation into Hannah herself. That information will never be made public by authorities. The only way we'll learn about it is if Hannah talks to someone and they go to the press.
Law is tricky, you know, this amber alert stuff is very new and laws are very old, maybe there will be a situation where laws get changed. Sending a creepy buzzing sound late at night to people's phones kind of gets them involved as more than people who are just curious outsiders who happen to be watching the news. I'm not sure its ok to buzz people who have to work for living to pay the mortgage out of bed and then when those same people want details as to why they were buzzed out of bed, they tell you tough cookies none of your business.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
I'm not sure its ok to buzz people who have to work for living to pay the mortgage out of bed and then when those same people want details as to why they were buzzed out of bed, they tell you tough cookies none of your business.
Another All About Me Generation...No kids, huh?

Last edited by virgode; 09-04-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure its ok to buzz people who have to work for living to pay the mortgage out of bed and then when those same people want details as to why they were buzzed out of bed, they tell you tough cookies none of your business.
Your being okay with it is irrelevant. It's legal.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Your being okay with it is irrelevant. It's legal.
If i want legal opinions, i'm not going to surf a message board to get them, i'll hire an actual lawyer.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
If i want legal opinions, i'm not going to surf a message board to get them, i'll hire an actual lawyer.
Legality is relevant because you're expecting information to be revealed that isn't legally possible.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Legality is relevant because you're expecting information to be revealed that isn't legally possible.
So, here's a question i have. If somehow Hannah gets investigated (which it doesnt seem like is happening) and something comes up that implicates her as a suspect of a crime, would we then get to hear some of the details? I dont know if "minors" go on trial like adults, and i dont even know if she would go to jail if she was actually found guilty of murder, but the information i'm talking about would have to theoretically "come out" if she was guilty of a crime. Am i right about this?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Depends on California law........if she would be implicated in the deaths of her mother and brother, then yes evidence would brought to light to determine her participatation............the severity of her involvement would determine how she is tried.......juvenile or adult.

Again.....what is peaking everyone's interest is the sheer lack of journalistic reporting and the desrepancies of the case.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Depends on California law........if she would be implicated in the deaths of her mother and brother, then yes evidence would brought to light to determine her participatation............the severity of her involvement would determine how she is tried.......juvenile or adult.

Again.....what is peaking everyone's interest is the sheer lack of journalistic reporting and the desrepancies of the case.
I disagree. Again.... there's issues of privacy not revealed to journalist for reporting, not a lack of reporting.

The FBI doesn't make their investigations public. Although they can be obtained by request and I doubt any details to answer your question would be included... for reason of privacy.

Exactly what discrepancies?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

Totally. Besides the lack of journalism, you have law enforcement kind of washing their hands of the entire thing....maybe their theory is that because she's a minor, its going to look really bad if they "go after" someone who appears to be an innocent victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime