Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 AM

162 posts, read 261,985 times

Advertisements

Wow, BajaAZ....

Thanks for putting a dose of reality into the job transfer. What a crazy experience for you. Definitely don't want to go down that path...

My hubby definitely desires to change fields, but will attempt a transfer first. In the end it, it would be the biggest blessing to our family. He may even love the new work-atmosphere in Tucson. I'm hoping it's a bit less of a "rat-race". He's tired of the office politics, which he separates himself from but is still affected by.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If you hear of any job openings and think my hubby might fit the bill, please let us know.

A short tidbit about my hubby: great public speaker (does it all the time), loves people (ministry, project manager...), committed to his work (brings in a lot of profit for his company compared to what he earns), goes above and beyond (to a fault), doesn't get involved in office politics... etc. I can't say enough. Our biggest qualms are usually that he is too dedicated and needs to re-enter the world of "normal people". He plans to work on that a bit once we move.....

Anyway, thanks again. Always appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:57 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
If you are thinking of churches you might want to attend in the area of Colonia Verde and Indian Ridge there is Sabino Road Baptist Church. They are a supporter of Gap Ministries. I like the church and even though I dont go their every week the pastor knew my name after just a couple of visits. They also support the Gap Ministries. This could be a church you could really like..lots of very friendly people and the church isnt too big. The pastor is Joe Stewart..great guy.

When I bought here in Tucson I divided the town into N, E, W, S,. I discounted N and S because north tended to be expensive and south had more crime and the demographics werent right although I really thought about South Tucson and West I ended up on the east side because I thought it offered a lot for the money.

Sabino Road BaptistComing Up

Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Thanks, borregokid.

We definitely plan to "church hop" for awhile. It will be awesome to meet some of the church families in Tucson. I especially want to visit a few churches that are largely Hispanic, Filipino, African American, Asian... etc. My hubby is not American..... and I often find myself with other cultures more than my own. So... it will be interesting to see where we end up!

Anyway..... I love what I read about GAP Ministries. I definitely plan to meet the family that started it. Would love to support them in some way. So awesome that Pastor Joe Stewart's church has joined with this ministry to help make it more effective!

N/S/E/W Tucson.... great idea.... dividing it up that way. Rancho is supposed to be an extremely safe community, which makes sense because families are drawn there. My focus is "central".... but obviously we'll try to experience a little bit of everything while we're there (N/S/E/W and Central).

Thanks so much for your time and thoughtful responses. Have a great weekend.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 AM

So.... my hubby said he found a place for us to rent in November..... (wait for it.... wait for it...)

We'll be renting from a woman who has a child that attends BASIS and GYMNASTICS WORLD CENTRAL!!! AND.... she relocated from another state some years back!

The woman works at the U of A, so maybe she can tell us about that as well. My hubby is open to teaching for sure, so maybe she'd put in a good word for him in the future - not sure. (Another thread mentioned the importance of knowing someone on the "inside"...)

Just wanted to share our amazing news.

Thanks again for all the encouragement via this thread. Truly grateful.....

Old 10-19-2014, 04:21 PM

Does anyone know that Sam Hughes received an official "National Historic District" designation?

National Historic District Designation

Does this mean that the home I like is automatically eligible for lower taxes? Here is a list of a few Sam Hughes homes that do benefit from their "National Historic District" designation.

425 N Sawtelle Ave, Tucson, AZ 85716 - Zillow
2009 E Hawthorne St, Tucson, AZ 85719 - Zillow
2033 E 6th St, Tucson, AZ 85719 - Zillow

Thanks

Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving To Tucson View Post
Does anyone know that Sam Hughes received an official "National Historic District" designation?

National Historic District Designation

Does this mean that the home I like is automatically eligible for lower taxes? Here is a list of a few Sam Hughes homes that do benefit from their "National Historic District" designation.

I can't answer that question but be careful. Being located in a "national historic district" in many cities means that you need to get approval from the city as to the type and scope of renovations that you can do with your house. One friend found out that he could not put in more weather efficient windows in his house as they did not meet the historic standards.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaAZ View Post
Excellent plan. Back in Pittsburgh I told my boss, who I considered a trusted friend, that I was considering a move and simply asked if my position might be eligible for telecommuting, since others in the company had exercised that option. I was fired the next morning! Lesson learned.

Same thing happened with my wife. She has been the top producer in her department for three years. She has worked from home during the entire time, save for 3-5 days a year. She asked is she could move to Tucson and the response was "no way.". She will be retiring at the end of the year. You are NOT alone.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 AM

jlawrence01,

I was surprised when I read that 2728 chose to refurbish their old windows rather than get new ones. I figured it was either cheaper, nicer looking, or done with "national hisotric designation" in mind.

Also, we'll be renting some space within a woman's home while there in November. Very interesting arrangement, actually: we'll share her kitchen, livingroom and such WITH her family... and stay in one of her bedrooms. Is this common?

Are guest-houses rented out on a per-day basis as well? The tiny converted garage behind the home I like seems good for only a per-day or per-week rental.

Anyway... thanks for the input. Definitely appreciated.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts....

Basically, I compared three areas:

AREAS: "Sam Hughes or Central" / "Sahuarita" / My NJ home.
MONTHLY TAXES: $200 ($100 if historic) / $250 / $700
MONTHLY COMMUTE COSTS: $100 ($50 if we walk/bike) / $400 / $600

MONTHLY TOTAL: $300 ($150 if historic & bike/walk) / $650 / $1,300
MONTHLY DRIVE: 10 hrs (5 if we walk/bike) / 48 hrs / 72 hrs

YEARLY TOTAL: $3,600 ($1,800 if historic & bike/walk) / $7,800 / $15,600
YEARLY DRIVE: 100 hrs (50 if we walk/bike) / 470 hrs / 700 hrs

PS- I don't categorize walking/biking as "commute time" (ie: wasted/unproductive time). Also, I didn't compare the difference in heating/cooling costs for the swamp-cooler and a tinier "Central" home. That shaves off another $100/month, from what I've heard. Plus the ability to potentially rent out the guest-house out back.... (nightly/weekly rentals are best, I assume?)

These numbers blow my mind.

Can someone please tell me other costs I should consider and compare? I heard water may be more costly than what I'm used to here in NJ.

Thanks so much for all the time everyone has given. Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

Last edited by Moving To Tucson; 10-20-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 PM

I forgot to add Sahuarita's HOA ($100/month): "$750 monthly / $9,000 yearly" mandatory expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson