Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,333,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Yes, we watched the first episode and were surprised because we found her entertaining, likable and sincere. She went into high gear last night, and our opinion changed dramatically. Nikki was obnoxious, interrupting everyone with her comments. I brand her a control freak.
I agree. There was a huge difference between the first and second episodes. Nikki was impossible to like last night. She tried to make it into the Nikki show and really turned me off. I had been looking forward to AI this year. Now, I refuse to watch with her on the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,254,841 times
I had never heard of her (yes, I'm old) until one of the awards shows last year.....she walked across the stage and instead of being even slightly humble, grateful, whatever...she shot the audience and the camera the finger. That did it for me....that put her in a class with the filthy-mouthed no-talent gangsta rappers....certainly not a professional that deserves to 'judge' anyone on any level. If I were a talented young person longing for someone to hear me, appreciate me, encourage me - I would be insulted to have someone of her caliber passing judgment on my future and my potential.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,462,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It is really interesting to see the negative comments about Nikki Minaj. I havent seen Thursday's episode but the first episode I thought she was likeable. The banter between her and Mariah got a little painful at times but Nikki didnt bother me at all.

I'll have to watch last night's episode
I thought it was mostly the Nikki show but the other judges were boring. I was excited about watching just to see Mariah but Nikki was the most entertaining. I really don't care for Nikki. But without her on the show, I don't see why anyone would talk about it. Keith, Randy and Mariah were mostly commenting and piggybacking off Nikki's comments. Nikki isn't the most talented of the judges. We know that. But I think AI knows that as well. I think she is the most interesting whether good, bad or neutral. Positive and talented people are not always the best network rating catchers aka Jersey Shore, Honey Boo, and BuckWild.... So I think adding Nikki was a calculated let's see how this goes move.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,771,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I thought it was mostly the Nikki show but the other judges were boring. I was excited about watching just to see Mariah but Nikki was the most entertaining. I really don't care for Nikki. But without her on the show, I don't see why anyone would talk about it. Keith, Randy and Mariah were mostly commenting and piggybacking off Nikki's comments. Nikki isn't the most talented of the judges. We know that. But I think AI knows that as well. I think she is the most interesting whether good, bad or neutral. Positive and talented people are not always the best network rating catchers aka Jersey Shore, Honey Boo, and BuckWild.... So I think adding Nikki was a calculated let's see how this goes move.
I was just coming back to post that we watched the second show. In my opinion the people complaining about Nikki went into it wanting to hate her and unwilling to change their opinion. I didnt find anything wrong with her and found her just as likable as the first episode. I dont find her rude or condescending.

I also agree that the others were way too subdued. If it werent for Nikki talking, no one would have talked. I really like Mariah but if they were banking on her taking the place of Jennifer Lopez she has failed so far.

On a side note, I am not a Nikki Minaj fan at all and until American Idol I wouldnt have been able to pick her out of a police line up. If you played 5 songs I couldnt tell you which one was hers. (more of a Steven Tyler Aerosmith fan versus anything "poppy")

Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,600,720 times
I am not surprised the Nikki comes off as rather b*tchy/bossy - but I wish she could have toned that down a bit for this show.

There is no way she would have made it to where she is today in the rap/hip-hop world unless she was a girl who is tough and doesn't let people push her around.

She is also a more creative/eclectic artist than just some pretty girl who has a nice voice. And I admire that about her. But its possible to be super creative, talented, and also humble and respectful to others, and that is where her youth and inexperience shows - because she isn't there yet.

It looks like she had a history of attitude problems - she states, "I'd been fired like 15 times because I had a horrible attitude. I worked at Red Lobster before that and I chased a customer out of the restaurant once so I could stick my middle finger up at her and demand that she give me my pen back. I swear to God I was bad." source

This is the song that one of the contestants sang, by Nikki Minaj - Super Bass:

Nicki Minaj - Super Bass - YouTube

Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,175,657 times
In order to win me back Idol needs to drop kick the lame and hopeless auditions to the curb. It was interesting the first couple of years now it just a boring cliche.

I wait for the Voice to come back on and watch paint dry when ever Idol is on.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 AM

4,498 posts, read 3,859,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In order to win me back Idol needs to drop kick the lame and hopeless auditions to the curb. It was interesting the first couple of years now it just a boring cliche.

I wait for the Voice to come back on and watch paint dry when ever Idol is on.
The Voice gets boring after the auditions are over. With Idol its the opposite-their live shows and Hollywood week are way better than The Voice's dragged out battle rounds.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 AM

So lets move on from the (undeserved) Nicki hating fest and talk about the CONTESTANTS(That is what the show is about)-Who else thought that Lazaro Arbos kid(the stutterer) was so inspiring? Pretty emotional audition for sure!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I was just coming back to post that we watched the second show. In my opinion the people complaining about Nikki went into it wanting to hate her and unwilling to change their opinion. I didnt find anything wrong with her and found her just as likable as the first episode. I dont find her rude or condescending.

I also agree that the others were way too subdued. If it werent for Nikki talking, no one would have talked. I really like Mariah but if they were banking on her taking the place of Jennifer Lopez she has failed so far.

On a side note, I am not a Nikki Minaj fan at all and until American Idol I wouldnt have been able to pick her out of a police line up. If you played 5 songs I couldnt tell you which one was hers. (more of a Steven Tyler Aerosmith fan versus anything "poppy")
Exactly, its annoying that people aren't willing to give her a chance. I'm not even that big of a fan of her, but I think she is doing a great job as a judge.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The ratings are an unmitigated disaster; last night's premiere was down 19% from a year ago, and the show's final rating for last season were down 30% from the previous season, so viewers are definitely heading for the exits just as they did for DWTS (down 27%).

Nevertheless it finished second overall in the ratings last year after 8 consecutive years at #1; NBC's Sunday night football program was the #1 show on TV last year.

I feel sorry for Keith Urban; he must be extremely uncomfortable sitting next to those two egomaniacs, and especially the 100% irrelevant Nikki Minaj.
Well the 2nd episode was ON PAR with last year's 2nd episode in ratings-which is great news and a good sign that people liked what they saw.

Its also a 12 year old show, you can't expect it to keep rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV