Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 22,213 times

Advertisements

Ok, let’s face it! Where there is a boarder there will boarder closing!!

Colombia-Venezuela
Haiti-DR
DR-PR
And so on.

Where there is a boarder there is finger pointing and discrimination again those illegal/legal immigrants.

You must also understand illegal Dominican immigrants are not the Dominican Lawyers, engineers or doctors. So in most case you are getting the best from the Dominican society. But the murders and drugs issues in PR have been a long standing issue in our island prior to “Dominican Exodus”. I guess you can blame some small quantities of property crimes to then (Dominicans) but not even that we can’t say they own it.

Also let’s face the fact that without the backup/money of the American government we could potentially be in a worst situation than the Dominican Republic. As we do not posses many attributes (minerals, exports or larger manufacturing infrastructures) needed to survive in the world.

I do believe that any illegal/legal immigrants should carry the responsibility to improve the county that he/she has immigrated to, just on the fact that this new country is providing this so call opportunities.

WHY DO BOTH OF OUR PEOPLES DO THE THINGS THAT THEY DO IN THE US???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_campos1 View Post

I do believe that any illegal/legal immigrants should carry the responsibility to improve the county that he/she has immigrated to, just on the fact that this new country is providing this so call opportunities.
Campos brings up a good point. Dominicans could be a blessing to Puerto Rico, IF they don't adopt the local apathy for hard work and sweat.
Puerto Rico needs hard workers, and there's no shortage of that in Dominicans. Did you know Dominicans in the U.S. have the highest rate of college graduates among Hispanics, CUBANS INCLUDED. Many Dominicans go through Puerto Rico.

Dominicans don't get any government help. They don't get government housing, or food stamps or social security. And yet they manage to meek out a living on an island that really doesn't produce much. To me, that's admirable.

That being said, there are many hard-working Puerto Ricans as well, but there's a weird culture of entitlement going around. My employees are great, but on more than one occasion my employees have threatened to quit and/or sue me if I didn't give them a raise. I welcomed them to leave, and they stuck around but didn't work. LOL. It was a very hard month, because I fired all of them, and I had to hire temps, train newhires, and at the same time fight a wrongful termination lawsuit (I won, luckily). (I've complained before, it's not a great business environment down here)

Dominican workers could be a great asset to the economy if they didn't absorb that attitude.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM

67 posts, read 177,756 times
Default dr african bloos

Your intel is way off..Dominicans have more african american blood then any other latino group... And a very small amount of spaniard and indian blood in them..
If you do not like us boricuas don't ever go to the island... you'll an up in a bad situation in your life real quick.. there are some dominicans out there that are worthless" same for my own people.. I just don't really like the dominicans that go to my peoples land Puerto Rico with hate and prostitution.... keep it in their dr country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhex View Post
holy shyt
dis person is so ignorant
u need 2 educate urself a little bit
well ur profile saids u live in da us but yet ur boriqua y is dat
den all puerto ricans should go back 2 der country n leave the americans alone
this is sad 2 hear from another latino because u would dink he/she would understand poverty
dominicans bring more crime 2 PR because they are the lower class
as do haitions 2 dr and as do latinos 2 da US
this person is just ignorant im dominican and many wealthier dominicans are at fault of this ignorance 2 too, saying haitions should go back to haiti
and besides you are proberly more spaniard desent dan anything else
yet u took dat land from the tainos
n killed 98% of them den modern puerto ricans wanna claim they r taino wen less than 10% have taino heritage unlike in DR which is way higher
but my point is ur ancester took the land so what makes you better

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 AM

177 posts, read 256,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is human nature to be hateful towards a new group. What do you think happened when PRs moved to NYC? And PRs to this day shout racism and how they are victims..poor us...then turn around and do the same thing to Dominicans. Hypocritical much? What is happening in PR, is the same thing that PRs did to NYC...so what's the problem here? For the record though, it is only a small (but vocal) group that spews such hate, and the fact remains that PR, and PRs, are very supportive of those DRs that make it to the island, and DR are helped in every way that they can be.
You are right. I am Borikua and my Son is Half Dominican. But I can tell you because I was close to it, that Dominicans are very disrespectful towards Borikua. When I was a kid in the 60's, we knew Dominicans and they were beautiful people. The Generation that came here in the 80's were the ones who acted like they are better than everyone else.

That generation of Dominicans hate being called black, and that is a sad thing. They love all things "white", and that is even sadder.

@ BKhex - you are totally wrong. Borikua are Taino Arawak. You are Arawak too. That "African blood" thing is a lie. The Arawak Peoples have a color spectrum ranging from a light Almond complexion to Black, with soft textured hair to stiff hair. You need to start learning about your real Heritage and stop listening to the mis-education system.

All the People of ALL the Americas are NATIVE AMERICAN. PR, DR, Cuba, North, Central and South America - WE ARE ONE HUGE FAMILY! And the Black People in the Americas are not Africans. They are our Brothers!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM

Default Reminder it is 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
Your intel is way off..Dominicans have more african american blood then any other latino group... And a very small amount of spaniard and indian blood in them..
If you do not like us boricuas don't ever go to the island... you'll an up in a bad situation in your life real quick.. there are some dominicans out there that are worthless" same for my own people.. I just don't really like the dominicans that go to my peoples land Puerto Rico with hate and prostitution.... keep it in their dr country...
I do agree with with you! It is probably true that Dominican have a higher mixture with African blood than Puerto Rican do. It does become evident while traveling about both counties. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone as they did share the island with the largest (at that time) slave colony/trading post in the Americas: Saint Domingue (Haiti) and they we also occupied by Haiti for twenty two years during this period the majority of "white" land owners left the island.

I guess my point is.. How is this relevant? It is not!!!! Having a higher percentile of African blood in their race it is not a handicap. It simply makes then who they are. Great people the share alotssssss of our believes and original culture (Non US exchanged).

In regards to the "HATE' I am not sure what you are referring to, but remember prostitution in created by the needs of THAT society, so if the Dominican don't take the "jobs" the Boricuas will (economics 101: supply and demand). Hopefully I am not infringing on your religious believes but most sociologists agree that prostitution is needed deviance.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
I have traveled to Puerto Rico and Domincan Republic and been through local native residence areas in both, they are equally beautiful in mountainous/beach landscapes, but living conditions and poor infrastructure in Dominican Republic are very depressed outside tourist zones. Both have poor areas that are riddled with crime and poverty but Puerto Rico is not anywhere near the despair of the Dominican Republic, hence, the primary reason for the mass exodus.

Let’s face the fact that without the backup/money of the American government we (PR) could potentially be in a worst situation than the Dominican Republic. As we do not posses many attributes (minerals, exports or larger manufacturing infrastructures) needed to survive in the world.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Come on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Why can't they better themselves in the DR? As corrupt as it is, a massive unified group will go much farther than running away to some foreign island. Risking one's life traveling to and in Puerto Rico is not much of an answer. It's defeatism.
So traveling to other countries to improve your life is wrong? So the pursuit of happiness is wrong? Are you are against capitalism and US constitution? Just curious, as those are the basis of that philosophy and the US? I do get the some Dominican immigrants may have had a negative impact to Puerto Rican Society but the same could be said for some Puerto Rican the US. So should we stop generalizing? I think so…… Sample (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-13629742.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
Bienvenido a Nuevo Orden del Mundo! In other words, Welcome to the New World Order. Insourcing and outsourcing are the things to do. I suspect nothing short of renewed nationalism across the globe can turn back the tide.
What are you talking about???

Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 AM

177 posts, read 256,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_campos1 View Post
So traveling to other countries to improve your life is wrong? So the pursuit of happiness is wrong? Are you are against capitalism and US constitution? Just curious, as those are the basis of that philosophy and the US? I do get the some Dominican immigrants may have had a negative impact to Puerto Rican Society but the same could be said for some Puerto Rican the US. So should we stop generalizing? I think so…… Sample (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-13629742.html - broken link)
Only white people have the right to go to other people's lands and take them over so they can better their own lives at the expense of others... haven't you been paying attention?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Only white people have the right to go to other people's lands and take them over so they can better their own lives at the expense of others... haven't you been paying attention?
Borikua, I am not sure about you implying! Are you saying that I am white? If so I would like to inform you that I am first generation immigrant half Dominican/Boricua also small business owner (I have worked my a** off for everything I have) I am ashamed of the behavior of a portion of our population (PR/DR) in the US.

If you are referring to the land acquisition policies by the US in the last 200 years? Or maybe the international agenda follow by our government in the last 30 years. If so, I believe it BUSH S*** (get it?). Maybe some was necessary evil but lots of international involvement had an US agenda attached to it (instead of the benefit to those counties/people). That is a new subject on its own!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories