Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times

Advertisements

Dominicans go to Puerto Rico illegally so that they can get papers illegally that will transport them to their ultimate destination: NEW YORK CITY.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 04:03 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
¡Pero mi' que boina! Or is it "vaina?"

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Dominicans go to Puerto Rico illegally so that they can get papers illegally that will transport them to their ultimate destination: NEW YORK CITY.......
My friends in the Border Patrol and Coast Guard tell me that illegal immigration to Puerto Rico is growing with every mention of "immigration reform" in Washington DC ...

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
I was watching a series You Tubes the other day of Santo Domingo. The capital is an almost exact copy of Rio Piedras, and the people even look the same as us. They showed a high end shopping mall where folks looked more like those in Plaza Carolina than Plaza Las Americas. Interestingly they also showed a subway, part above ground and part below. Although the stations were simpler than those of our "Tren Urbano", they might be more practical than the Worlds Fair pavilions we squandered U.S. taxpayers money on. On the average, things are looking up in Santo Domingo, its not the laughing stock of Puerto Ricans anymore, although Statehhoders love to point out its deficits instead of its recent progress, for obvious reasons.

Yes many Dominicans still come to the island, thinking the streets are paved with gold and with possibly the hope of moving on, most likely to NYC where the streets are paved with diamonds. Once there they soon figure out that what awaits them and their kids is to sink into a nuyorican style life, of drugs, high school drop outs and basic illiteracy. When they return to Santo Domingo the kids are an almost exact copy of Ghetto African Americans.

However many Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico and contribute to our economy. Gringos on the other hand come, like they've always come since 1898, for a short time, they live in gringo ghettos, socialize with Ricans, only if they speak English and eventually move on. I have a feeling they perceive PR is another planet, despite being an American colony. Language has a lot to do with it, because gringos on the average are basically monolingual and refuse to learn other languages, you have to learn their language not the other way around! Dominicans speak Spanish and if living in Rio Piedras its just like living in Santo Domingo.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM

87 posts, read 147,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
because gringos on the average are basically monolingual and refuse to learn other languages, .
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

I can ignore your use of the slur gringo, but you seem toknow nothing of the United States. Thereare over 300 languages spoken in the United States, more than half of which areindigenous. The USA is the second largest Spanish speaking country in theworld. I live in PR and for the mostpart, people in PR are monolingual ( I also teach English at the Universitylevel, so I know what I am talking about)

Also, people for the USA have been visiting and living in PRlong before 1898. BTW, YouTube is not a good source of academic or educationalmaterial I suggest you enroll in one of PR's many universities

Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
However many Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico and contribute to our economy. Gringos on the other hand come, like they've always come since 1898, for a short time, they live in gringo ghettos, socialize with Ricans, only if they speak English and eventually move on.

You are so astute, yes; Americans contribute nothing to thePR economy.....

Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

I can ignore your use of the slur gringo, but you seem toknow nothing of the United States. Thereare over 300 languages spoken in the United States, more than half of which areindigenous. The USA is the second largest Spanish speaking country in theworld. I live in PR and for the mostpart, people in PR are monolingual ( I also teach English at the Universitylevel, so I know what I am talking about)

Also, people for the USA have been visiting and living in PRlong before 1898. BTW, YouTube is not a good source of academic or educationalmaterial I suggest you enroll in one of PR's many universities

Oops, ruffled feathers!

Gringo is used throughout Latin America and also when Puerto Ricans talk about Americans among themselves. For Puerto Ricans, either its "Los Gringos" or "Los Americanos," always as "the other" never as WE, despite having American citizenship, figure that one out.

Although the USA may have 300 indigenous languages, none is given any importance. Hawaiian appeared to have been making a come back among native speakers but, It will eventually disappear like those other 300 in the next 100 years.

Yes Spanish might be the second language spoken in the US but there is a conflict among half of the American population whether to stamp it out or wait till it fizzles out. Studies show that by the second generation immigrant Spanish goes the way of the Dodo bird. Do the Nuyoricans ring a bell?

There is also a perception that if you speak a language other than English, its very un American now-a-days. As the immigration talks get under way we'll see the if Spanish is respected/tolerated. How ever one of the conditions already heard is that Immigrants MUST SPEAK ENGLISH.

About your assertion that Puerto Ricans are monolingual Spanish, Thank you! At least a gringo is saying it and not some statehooder who swears that Puerto Ricans are all bilingual. LOL

Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
You are so astute, yes; Americans contribute nothing to thePR economy.....
I never said such a thing. American tax payers DO contribute $30 billion a year in welfare to keep the Puerto Rican population begging for more. They've destroyed our work ethic, just as its been destroyed in Black and Rican ghettos in the states. Why do you think Puerto Rican politicans say , "statehood is for the poor!" Its not because they want to be Americans, its the welfare dummy.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM

quote=clip314;33578043]Oops, ruffled feathers!

Gringo is used throughout Latin America and also when Puerto Ricans talk about Americans among themselves. For Puerto Ricans, either its "Los Gringos" or "Los Americanos," always as "the other" never as WE, despite having American citizenship, figure that one out.

Hawaiian appeared to have been making a come back among native speakers but, It will eventually disappear like those other 300 in the next 100 years.

Yes Spanish might be the second language spoken in the US but there is a conflict among half of the American population whether to stamp it out or wait till it fizzles out. Studies show that by the second generation immigrant Spanish goes the way of the Dodo bird. Do the Nuyoricans ring a bell?

There is also a perception that if you speak a language other than English, its very un American now-a-days. As the immigration talks get under way we'll see the if Spanish is respected/tolerated. How ever one of the conditions already heard is that Immigrants MUST SPEAK ENGLISH.

About your assertion that Puerto Ricans are monolingual Spanish, Thank you! At least a gringo is saying it and not some statehooder who swears that Puerto Ricans are all bilingual. LOL[/quote]

Gringos is a slur, and yes I am aware that PRs use many racial slurs on a daily basis, not just gringo, but "negro fino " mejorar la raza" etc. That does not make it OK.

You are confusing Hawaiian with Hawaiian Pidgin . They are two totally different languages. Hawaiian is dead, Hawaiian pidgin is not ( I received my ling degree from la Inter)

That is a misconception that all immigrants are forced to speak English. Many states have all information in multiple languages , unlike here in PR. I am not sure what "studies" you have read that said the USA will stamp out Spanish.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I never said such a thing. American tax payers DO contribute $30 billion a year in welfare to keep the Puerto Rican population begging for more. They've destroyed our work ethic, just as its been destroyed in Black and Rican ghettos in the states. Why do you think Puerto Rican politicans say , "statehood is for the poor!" Its not because they want to be Americans, its the welfare dummy.
Don't be so obtuse. Americans living in PR also contribute significantly in their home towns, or as you keep referring to them as "American ghettos". It is not all welfare. Americans in PR are more likely to shop 'locally' so the money stays in PR...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories