U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2020, 03:01 PM
 
464 posts, read 121,101 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
No money in independence and lots of costs

They have 3 things against them:

1) No political power (over 95% of the people in P.R. rejects them)
2) NO Army. NO weapons.
3) NO money. They actually exist because of public funds. (those damn evil Americans)


and Clip314 says they will "negotiate". Negotiate what? the real estate? U.S. Citizenship? Every time he mentions independence and "negotiate" you have to cry of laughter of what myths people create.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2020, 09:47 PM
 
115 posts, read 29,953 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotswag View Post
Again, like Hawaii, I have come across Puerto Rican nationalists who believe that the Puerto Rican people do want independence and that the US is merely blocking it so that the US won't lose a territory to exploit.... if that is so, why doesn't Puerto Rico just ask for independence right now... why is that hard?

The Philippines asked for their independence and they got it, so what's preventing Hawaii, Guam and Puerto Rico from asking the same thing?
Hawaii is an admitted State, as in they are ratified as part of the union. So they asking for independence in hindsight would in essence be declaring another civil war.

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth which means it is a part of the United States that is on track to becoming a state of its own. Why would they claim independence, they rely on the States for so much when stuff happens in the Caribbean Sea. As for Guam that's another story, they are a territory and the process to be what is known as "annexed" into another country probably won't happen as Guam's population is less than 200K.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2020, 11:23 PM
 
464 posts, read 121,101 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
Hawaii is an admitted State, as in they are ratified as part of the union. So they asking for independence in hindsight would in essence be declaring another civil war.

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth which means it is a part of the United States that is on track to becoming a state of its own. Why would they claim independence, they rely on the States for so much when stuff happens in the Caribbean Sea. As for Guam that's another story, they are a territory and the process to be what is known as "annexed" into another country probably won't happen as Guam's population is less than 200K.
the poster is mixing apple and oranges. Hawaii is a full state with U.S. Citizenship. A very tiny electorate can't be asking or "negotiate" for a civil war and a constitutional crisis. That's like asking for a unicorn for x-mas. That's like the Mormons in Utah asking for independence. They will never do it because they would lose badly legally, financially and military power.

The Philippines was never a U.S. territory and the U.S. never gave them U.S. Citizenship. The U.S. Constitution or federal laws never applied in the Philippines. It was more a military occupation. It was never an intention to make the Philippines a U.S. territory with U.S. Citizenship.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2020, 10:48 PM
 
8 posts, read 2,112 times
Reputation: 31
The welfare is too damn good plus there is no hope for Puerto Rico.

Puerto Ricans are too Latin American, unfortunately, it's in the Latin American blood to be self-destructive. Look at Chile now, a country that was supposed to be a shining example for all of Latin America is now ripping each other apart.

Puerto Rico had its chance to improve around the 70s but completely blew it, of course. I don't care what anyone who will probably write these long meaningless essays with the could've, would've, and should've about Puerto Rico that is never going to happen. And victimized the island with the same talking points i.e. the evil, cruel, racist U.S.; Trump; Jone's Act, and that somehow either Statehood or Independence is the saving grace for Puerto Rico's crisis when there is a huge red, white, and blue Elephant with a big star on its a*shole. (Puerto Rican flag btw)

The Puerto Rican government literally doesn't have a plan.

Puerto Rico becomes a state, okay. Now what?........... Nothing? Okay, Puerto Rico becomes independent, what is the plan? Hello? Anyone there.

Don't get me wrong, I know the Puerto Rican politicians and the Puerto Ricans expect the good ole U.S.A. Americans to fix their problem like always, even if they become independent, they will still expect the U.S. to help them while calling them racist and colonizers.

At this point, I expect nothing less from Puerto Ricans because they are not the heavily educated people in the world. What more can I say except that I am embarrassed and ashamed, they wave that stupid flag as if it something to be proud of but all I see are crackheads, dead animals, and trash, and I'm supposed to proud of that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2020, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Casper, WY
138 posts, read 133,355 times
Reputation: 212
My gut feeling is that if Puerto Rico doesn't get statehood in the next couple of years that the independence movement could grow in very real ways. Right now statehood seems to be getting decent results when put to the vote (2012 and 2020), but weak turnout is a bad sign for statehood's future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2020, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Boston
15,681 posts, read 4,745,167 times
Reputation: 11560
Puerto Rico.....one of the most corrupt governments on earth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2020, 09:44 PM
 
464 posts, read 121,101 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipes23 View Post
My gut feeling is that if Puerto Rico doesn't get statehood in the next couple of years that the independence movement could grow in very real ways. .

maybe you need some alka seltzer. Independence has never won 1 town out of 78 in the island. Even with the lowest voter turnout ever, they are 0 out of 78. Carmen Yulin, who is for independence/free association with name recognition and unlimited resources as Mayor of San Juan and from the Democrat Party, lost badly in the primary for governor in her own party. She came last place, 3rd. She got 13% and most of that came from her payroll in San Juan and LGBT. She basically accused the United States of genocide towards Puerto Rico during her "Me Tour" while she made her tour in the U.S. to accept awards, donations $$$$ and campaigned for the Democrat Party in 2018 and 2020 while she ignored her duties in San Juan. These are the people running the independence movement down there and then people ask why they can't get get over 5% of the electorate and can't never win 1 freaking town out of 78 every 4 years. Even with a low voter turnout, they can't win 1/78.



* No support from the people
* Nobody with name recognition to carry the banner and talk on TV in English & Spanish to make the case for independence who is realistic who is not a divider or a frame thrower or doesn't have ties with Cuba or Venezuela or people that hate the U.S.

* No Army
* No economical power.




Explain to me why the U.S. government has to sit down with these idiots and give up land and power? You don't know the United States. The only way to make them give up power and land is FORCE. Something Puerto Rico lacks and are a passive culture. They are a complacent culture since the Spanish Empire. You can view that as positive or negative. I'm just telling you what it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2020, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Earth
7,346 posts, read 4,613,391 times
Reputation: 5428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoardo92 View Post
The welfare is too damn good plus there is no hope for Puerto Rico.

Puerto Ricans are too Latin American, unfortunately, it's in the Latin American blood to be self-destructive. Look at Chile now, a country that was supposed to be a shining example for all of Latin America is now ripping each other apart.

Puerto Rico had its chance to improve around the 70s but completely blew it, of course. I don't care what anyone who will probably write these long meaningless essays with the could've, would've, and should've about Puerto Rico that is never going to happen. And victimized the island with the same talking points i.e. the evil, cruel, racist U.S.; Trump; Jone's Act, and that somehow either Statehood or Independence is the saving grace for Puerto Rico's crisis when there is a huge red, white, and blue Elephant with a big star on its a*shole. (Puerto Rican flag btw)

The Puerto Rican government literally doesn't have a plan.

Puerto Rico becomes a state, okay. Now what?........... Nothing? Okay, Puerto Rico becomes independent, what is the plan? Hello? Anyone there.

Don't get me wrong, I know the Puerto Rican politicians and the Puerto Ricans expect the good ole U.S.A. Americans to fix their problem like always, even if they become independent, they will still expect the U.S. to help them while calling them racist and colonizers.

At this point, I expect nothing less from Puerto Ricans because they are not the heavily educated people in the world. What more can I say except that I am embarrassed and ashamed, they wave that stupid flag as if it something to be proud of but all I see are crackheads, dead animals, and trash, and I'm supposed to proud of that?

its that latin passion!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2020, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Casper, WY
138 posts, read 133,355 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Explain to me why the U.S. government has to sit down with these idiots and give up land and power? You don't know the United States. The only way to make them give up power and land is FORCE. Something Puerto Rico lacks and are a passive culture. They are a complacent culture since the Spanish Empire. You can view that as positive or negative. I'm just telling you what it is.
That's 100% true. The US isn't in the business of giving up territory. I guess I'm just looking at the situation (and I have zero skin in the game and comment as an outsider) and seeing small majorities of voters going for statehood. I don't see that as a stable situation if the federal government continues to stall on the issue. You would certainly be in a better position to know more than I would.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2020, 12:23 AM
Status: "Hello there..." (set 1 day ago)
 
6,787 posts, read 9,544,336 times
Reputation: 5268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoardo92 View Post
The welfare is too damn good plus there is no hope for Puerto Rico.

Puerto Ricans are too Latin American, unfortunately, it's in the Latin American blood to be self-destructive. Look at Chile now, a country that was supposed to be a shining example for all of Latin America is now ripping each other apart.

Puerto Rico had its chance to improve around the 70s but completely blew it, of course. I don't care what anyone who will probably write these long meaningless essays with the could've, would've, and should've about Puerto Rico that is never going to happen. And victimized the island with the same talking points i.e. the evil, cruel, racist U.S.; Trump; Jone's Act, and that somehow either Statehood or Independence is the saving grace for Puerto Rico's crisis when there is a huge red, white, and blue Elephant with a big star on its a*shole. (Puerto Rican flag btw)

The Puerto Rican government literally doesn't have a plan.

Puerto Rico becomes a state, okay. Now what?........... Nothing? Okay, Puerto Rico becomes independent, what is the plan? Hello? Anyone there.

Don't get me wrong, I know the Puerto Rican politicians and the Puerto Ricans expect the good ole U.S.A. Americans to fix their problem like always, even if they become independent, they will still expect the U.S. to help them while calling them racist and colonizers.

At this point, I expect nothing less from Puerto Ricans because they are not the heavily educated people in the world. What more can I say except that I am embarrassed and ashamed, they wave that stupid flag as if it something to be proud of but all I see are crackheads, dead animals, and trash, and I'm supposed to proud of that?
There is no reason to be ashamed and embarrassed, in my opinion. Sure, there are some things of Puerto Rico that definitely needs to change, but to say that there is nothing for Puerto Ricans to be proud of is a little much. All societies have their good and bad sides, but pride in a place, culture, history, and a people almost always is due to the good things and not the bad. Like I said already, there are plenty of things for Puerto Ricans to be proud of even if Puerto Rico isn't perfect (and while no place on earth is perfect, I think Puerto Rico is closer to perfection than most places). Spend some time in a real sh*thole and returning back to Puerto Rico is almost like returning to heaven with warts and all. Yet, even in those sh*tholes people are proud. Why can't Puerto Ricans be proud too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top