Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronallan2 View Post
Does anyone know if the 11/21/2010 deadline for the first round of Federal extensions is based on when your claim ends or the date your last check was issued. My last check covered the week ending 11/06/2010 (so my claim ended 11/06/2010) so clearly before the 11/21/2010 deadline, but because of some issues, it wasn't paid until 11/23/2010. Am I still eligible for the first round of Federal extensions?
What issues caused the delay?

Technically, state benefits need to be exhausted not later than November 20th in order to move to Tier 1 on November 21st. The fact that you were paid late should not affect this, but depending on the reasons for the delay, it might if CA takes the position your state benefits were not exhausted until November 23.

You need to call CA to find out where you stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 26,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What issues caused the delay?

Technically, state benefits need to be exhausted not later than November 20th in order to move to Tier 1 on November 21st. The fact that you were paid late should not affect this, but depending on the reasons for the delay, it might if CA takes the position your state benefits were not exhausted until November 23.

You need to call CA to find out where you stand.

Supposedly I filled out one of my claim forms incorrectly, so instead of getting a check in the mail, I received a new replacement claim form. So, it made it so that I got that check and corresponding new claim form two weeks later than I should have, causing a chain reaction so that my last check was cut on 11/23/2010. I'm assuming I'm not the only person in California who made an error on one or more of their claim forms that caused the timing of when checks were cut to be skewed.

Technically, my benefits were exhausted on 11/06/2010. I tried calling CA EDD today and they have a recorded message that tells you about the extensions, etc. Once the recorded message is over, it hangs up on you. So I'm going to try calling again tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM

ronallen, you should not have a problem since this was just a paperwork glitch.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,572 times
I'm confused about the dates for the end of regular/beginning of Tier 1. I just got my final regular unemployment check. It paid through 11/20 and the check was cut the 24th. The edd website is confusing. It says the deadline for starting Tier 1 is 11/21 but "If you are currently collecting on a regular UI claim that provides up to 26 weeks of benefits, and you run out of those benefits anytime after the week ending November 20, 2010, you will not be eligible for a first tier of federal extension benefits or any other extension benefits unless Congress takes further action." So will I receive Tier 1 benefits or not? Anyone know? Thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck6934 View Post
I'm confused about the dates for the end of regular/beginning of Tier 1. I just got my final regular unemployment check. It paid through 11/20 and the check was cut the 24th. The edd website is confusing. It says the deadline for starting Tier 1 is 11/21 but "If you are currently collecting on a regular UI claim that provides up to 26 weeks of benefits, and you run out of those benefits anytime after the week ending November 20, 2010, you will not be eligible for a first tier of federal extension benefits or any other extension benefits unless Congress takes further action." So will I receive Tier 1 benefits or not? Anyone know? Thanks
Because your last payment of regular benefits was for the week ended Saturday, November 20, you were eligible to start Tier I on Sunday, November 21. Your eligibility for Tier I is determined by the end date of your regular benefits -- not by the day that the last check is issued.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Because your last payment of regular benefits was for the week ended Saturday, November 20, you were eligible to start Tier I on Sunday, November 21. Your eligibility for Tier I is determined by the end date of your regular benefits -- not by the day that the last check is issued.
Oooh. Thanks. I'm in the same boat. I'm still waiting for my Tier 1 claim forms, though. I'm hoping it's in the mail today. *fingers and toes crossed*

Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck6934 View Post
Duck, have you received your new claim forms? I haven't yet and I got my last check last Saturday. I know it's only Wednesday but I'm getting nervous. I keep trying to call EDD and it's still that bloody message.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM

140 posts, read 612,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronallan2 View Post
Duck, have you received your new claim forms? I haven't yet and I got my last check last Saturday. I know it's only Wednesday but I'm getting nervous. I keep trying to call EDD and it's still that bloody message.
Go to EDD Web Cert https://cccwpd.edd.ca.gov/Security/L...2fdefault.aspx

You can claim online and the checks are issued within a day and you get them in 2 or 3 days. You have to register first, after that it is easy and painless.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,452 times
HELP!! Just got this in the mail. I recently got passed my one year of benefits. In the letter it said:

Please follow the instructions below. Failure to do so may result in denial of your benefits. Please include your name and Social Security number on any additonal forms you mail to Edd.

1. You are potentially eligible to file a new claim effective 11/14/10. We need your correct last employer information and last date worked before the claim can be filed and any payments can be issued. You may apply on-line at WWW.EDD.CA.GOV or call 1 800 300 5616 for assistance to complete the filing of your claim.

Does this mean I have to file a new claim?? I did not work at all this past year. Nothing has changed, I don't understand why there would be an error on my last employer and last date worked?? What should I do? Please advise. I will try and call them tomorrow!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anf322 View Post
1. You are potentially eligible to file a new claim effective 11/14/10. We need your correct last employer information and last date worked before the claim can be filed and any payments can be issued. You may apply on-line at WWW.EDD.CA.GOV or call 1 800 300 5616 for assistance to complete the filing of your claim.

Does this mean I have to file a new claim?? I did not work at all this past year. Nothing has changed, I don't understand why there would be an error on my last employer and last date worked?? What should I do? Please advise. I will try and call them tomorrow!
What you received from CA is a BYE routine form letter. By law, you need to file a new claim application. CA will evaluate your earnings from your first benefit year. If you did not have sufficient earnings to qualify for a new claim, the application for a new claim is denied, your old claim is reopened and you continue receiving benefits under your old claim.

Complete the application online, or call CA. Basically, you would be repeating the information you provided them when you first filed - your employer and last day worked. You are probably right now collecting tier 2 benefits. You should be able to continue your benefits on that tier until exhausted.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-05-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment