Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I was wondering how many people are unemployed and looking? I have a degree in Economics and I have been having hard times finding a good job in the financial sector. For the last year, I have been doing financial contract work through a temporary agency and my last assignment just came to an end. This is the first time I have ever been on unemployment benefits and I am starting to hate it. Some of my co workers have Master's degrees and have been on unemployment for months. In between assignments, I have only been unemployed for about month but there are people out there that have been unemployed for months and years with great qualifications and experience. Have you given up looking for a job?How are you coping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Yep - there are many of us on these boards. And don't you just love that the powers that be tell us that americans aren't educated enough. Yeah right, they obviously aren't talking to all the college educated folks, master degree holders, economics majors and engineers I know who are out of work.

Actually, I have a job lined up and am starting next week, after nearly 6 months of unemployment and non-stop applying, interviewing, networking, etc.

Hang on - network... and don't be afraid to take a menial job in order to make ends meet or stretch out your unemployment. Take online classes or do tutorials online to keep up your skills. Think about a different avenue/industry to use your skillset for. See if there are any career counseling and networking groups in your area esp. ones specific to your industry. I found that those help immensely.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:13 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, haven't given up looking for a job, but it has been a year this month that I've been out of work. Years ago, employers didn't always ask for a Degree for my line of work which is Purchasing and Inventory Control. But, NOW-TODAY, not only will a lot those employers ask for a Bachelors Degree (not even an AA will do), but they will also ask for Certification in those areas Years ago, I didn't have the money to go back to college for a Bachelors Degree or take classes to get a Certification. Today, at age 59, I have plenty of experience working in most areas of Purchasing and working all of Inventory Control, but not having that Degree and Certification is really "kicking my a**"!! I'm getting ready to take another online course in "my" work area in hopes that that will help me land a job, but who knows. Lots of people are getting laid off here in NC.
Actually, from my last job, I knew a guy who had a Master's Degree in Computer Engineering and he was working as a Dispatcher. He got that Degree in Europe and was working in Colorado. Colorado isn't a "computer manufacturing State", California is, but he didn't want to live there. I was also told about a guy that had a Master's Degree in ? and was working in a Warehouse......wow, what a waste of knowledge there!! Apparently, there are numerous people in the U.S. that have a major Degree, but don't use it for a job. To me, that is a waste of education and money. But, "oh well", it's their education, time and money!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 53,997 times
Being out of a job sucks. Oh well. Guess I have to start looking in the morning. Never settle for anything else, but the best.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I have been unemployed for 7 weeks. But 2 days in my 3rd week I took a temp scab job at $60/hr, made too much, and didn't get unemployment that week. Didn't get it the week after and couldn't complain as Hurricane Ike caused communication problems to the Texas Unemployment phone line. I hope my unemployment is not discontinued because I dearly need that $378 / week to help me survive till my next job. Texas Unemployment sucks BIG TIME because there are no in-person offices to dispute or handle matters! It's all online, phone, or by mail or fax!

Had a good job interview today for a Design Engineer job, but small company. They looked at 40 resumes, picked 7 good ones, and I was the first to interview. They said the other candidates are from out of state because the job markets are bad there - like some from automotive companies!

Last year I got hired the same week I was laid off; job lasted 10 months.

I didn't study further for a Master's BSME because then I would overqualify myself for many Bachelor's Jobs and suffer. If you can get a good job with a Master's or PHD you will suffer underemployment. The worst was when I heard a story about a homeless man - who had a BSME!
Maybe I should do 16 hrs at a $10 / hr job weekly. Wonder what I can get at that?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I have been unemployed for 7 weeks. But 2 days in my 3rd week I took a temp scab job at $60/hr, made too much, and didn't get unemployment that week. Didn't get it the week after and couldn't complain as Hurricane Ike caused communication problems to the Texas Unemployment phone line. I hope my unemployment is not discontinued because I dearly need that $378 / week to help me survive till my next job. Texas Unemployment sucks BIG TIME because there are no in-person offices to dispute or handle matters! It's all online, phone, or by mail or fax!

Had a good job interview today for a Design Engineer job, but small company. They looked at 40 resumes, picked 7 good ones, and I was the first to interview. They said the other candidates are from out of state because the job markets are bad there - like some from automotive companies!

Last year I got hired the same week I was laid off; job lasted 10 months.

I didn't study further for a Master's BSME because then I would overqualify myself for many Bachelor's Jobs and suffer. If you can get a good job with a Master's or PHD you will suffer underemployment. The worst was when I heard a story about a homeless man - who had a BSME!
Maybe I should do 16 hrs at a $10 / hr job weekly. Wonder what I can get at that?
I am in Texas too. My UI recently ran out. I am very frustrated because, while I knew the benefits were almost exhausted, I had calculated that I'd be getting a final check that would be about half my normal check.... so I did the payment request and it never showed up. So when I called they said my benefits where exhausted. How likely is it that the benefit amount would have come out to EXACTLY XX number of checks with nothing left over and the last check not being either short or larger than normal? I mean, to the penny???

I think they're wrong but I can't get through on the phone so...

And another thing, I question the entire amount in my benefits account, because I had not applied for or used UI benefits in so long I can't remember. I know it had been over a decade! I don't see how, after all those years working, the amount in my account was only enough for about 4 months of benefits!? I don't trust them to have an accurate accounting either, honestly.

They sent me a letter about the UI extension (emergency UI benefits) and of course the only way to apply for that is to call. I might starve first! LOL I've temped and will continue to temp as the temp jobs come up but it's so uncertain and nerve wracking, to only know you'll have a paycheck for a week or two.

I am applying for all kinds of jobs, but no call backs so far. I'm hoping to get 3 part time jobs actually.... I have the issue of childcare so I am trying to work around when the kids are home.

I can't give up though. Give up and starve!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,170 times
I'm applying online now for jobs, was out of work for a year do to relocating. I'm only getting 20 hrs a week right now and I can't catch up with my bills, credit card companies are calling like vultures, it's so frustrating. Jobs are not willing to train anymore, even janitors need exp don't know what to do anymore

Last edited by mr.man; 10-03-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Yup. I'm unemployed. I was employed for two days yesterday and the day before but I got canned. I was told before and after how the supervisor of the job is EXTREMELY picky.

Anyway, I sent several resumes and interviews lead nowhere. But hey, at least the bill collectors are biting.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Hey fierce_flawless - I guess Texas Unemployment must be the worst of all states! Mainly because you cannot go in person to settle or complain about matters! Yeah, it's so hard to get a phone connection to their line! They really have to help people or they'll go homeless!

Ok, maybe I better get PT job applications for Target, Ross, and Starbucks nearby!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Overall I have to give us Americans credit. You guys are some very resillient folks. I was thinking today that it's a wonder suicides don't increase during these hard times. I don't know if people just rely on their faith, or just know that we have been here before and it will get better.

I know it's bad when I see an older professional with an MBA in Marketing applying for call center jobs. I applaud that person for not letting his pride get in the way of doing what ever it takes.

Hang in there everyone and know "This too shall pass".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment