Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 01:49 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's an excerpt from the article linked in the OP, with info that's crucial to the whole story, in case some members missed it:
[QUOTE]Key and his family were in Cades Cove on the day of the disappearance, and roughly at the same time that it occurred, and were hiking along Rowan’s Creek in the Sea Branch area when they heard what sounded like a “terrible scream” coming from someplace on an adjacent mountain ridge. Although this was reported on at the time in various newspapers, Key told Bouchard in 2016 that he heard what appeared to have been another scream, which sounded like a child calling for “help.”

Shortly after the screams were heard, Key and his family observed a disheveled looking caucasian man moving through the forest nearby, who went to the main road at the base of the trail they were on, and left quickly in a white automobile
[/quote]

The terrible scream came from and adjacent mountain ridge.
How far away in the woods can you hear a 6 yr old boy scream?
The white guy was by himself when he took off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 01:58 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You are grasping.
I'm not grasping; just reporting what I have observed on the road.

As far as the other comments about what I think could have happened in this case; why am I grasping when Big Foot was never mentioned and you want to take us in that direction? That is what I call grasping!

PS When it comes to sounds in the woods: If somebody shoots one shot it is extremely hard to tell what direction it came from. It is only when you have second shots that people (other hunters) can agree on what direction that shot came from. Sound can bounce off hills and mountains and until several people hear it for a longer time; it has always been hard to get a consensus of what direction. Sometimes I would be with a large group of hunters and we would all point in a different direction for that one shot. Besides the echoes; I think the direction we are personally facing affects what direction we perceive that sound to come from.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:33 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Author and former Law Enforcement Officer David Paulides has written a number of books on mysterious disappearances which are occurring in National Parks. He's been a guest on a number of podcasts and complains that the government has been very reluctant to provide him with information for his research.

I don't know what to make of that. Wilderness areas are dangerous. Especially for people who haven't grown up in those areas.

Right now I'm listening to "True Crimes Garage" podcast about Dennis to get another perspective.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Author and former Law Enforcement Officer David Paulides has written a number of books on mysterious disappearances which are occurring in National Parks. He's been a guest on a number of podcasts and complains that the government has been very reluctant to provide him with information for his research.

I don't know what to make of that. Wilderness areas are dangerous. Especially for people who haven't grown up in those areas.

Right now I'm listening to "True Crimes Garage" podcast about Dennis to get another perspective.
You are right, wilderness areas can be tough, but Missing 411 goes beyond the natural dangers, many of these cases involve some pretty bizarre details, and it appears like something 'supernatural' may be at work in some of them.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I'm not grasping; just reporting what I have observed on the road.

As far as the other comments about what I think could have happened in this case; why am I grasping when Big Foot was never mentioned and you want to take us in that direction? That is what I call grasping!

PS When it comes to sounds in the woods: If somebody shoots one shot it is extremely hard to tell what direction it came from. It is only when you have second shots that people (other hunters) can agree on what direction that shot came from. Sound can bounce off hills and mountains and until several people hear it for a longer time; it has always been hard to get a consensus of what direction. Sometimes I would be with a large group of hunters and we would all point in a different direction for that one shot. Besides the echoes; I think the direction we are personally facing affects what direction we perceive that sound to come from.
The disheveled man the one couple reported was like 6 miles away, law enforcement ruled this out as not being connected, due to the distance and amount of time the kid was missing.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:16 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what crossed my mind, too. As to why no trace of clothes or remains; maybe an animal carried him off to its den?
Bingo, we have a winner.

The first thing an animal does when it catches prey, is to grab it by the throat, and suffocate it.
Obviously this is why no screams were heard, even tho one guy state he heard screams from as distant mountain.
This guy stated he heard screams, then saw some guy running, and hop into a white car,

Boy this dude must have had incredible eye site, to see all this from a distant mountain.

Bob.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bingo, we have a winner.

The first thing an animal does when it catches prey, is to grab it by the throat, and suffocate it.
Obviously this is why no screams were heard, even tho one guy state he heard screams from as distant mountain.
This guy stated he heard screams, then saw some guy running, and hop into a white car,

Boy this dude must have had incredible eye site, to see all this from a distant mountain.

Bob.
Large cats and wolves will grab animals by the throat. Bears are maulers. Coyotes will hamstring their prey and start eating it from the backend forward while it is alive.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:52 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

The terrible scream came from and adjacent mountain ridge.
How far away in the woods can you hear a 6 yr old boy scream?
The white guy was by himself when he took off.
What stage of his taking off are you referencing? When he took off from whatever location he was in inside the park? Or when he came crashing out of the woods and jumped in his car? What caused him to take off? It's possible he was with the 6-yr-old deeper in the park, and took off as a result of something that happened there, or something he did there.

The "how far way can you hear a 6-yr-old scream" question is a good one. I don't know.

Why would someone sharing what they witnessed get an anonymous phone call (or was it two?), saying "forget about what you saw in the park that day"? Kind of hard to believe.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bingo, we have a winner.

Bob.

I thought he said he heard a scream from a neighboring mountain, then saw someone burst out of the woods near the witness, and take off in a car. So if the scream was from far (-ish) away, but the action witnessed was in proximity to him, it would be unlikely, that the two events were connected. How could someone run from a location the next mountain over from the witness, to a parked car near the witness, in a few minutes? Even if we allow for 20 minutes, it doesn't sound doable. But IDK; maybe someone who thought he had a cougar chasing him could cover a large distance, running on adrenaline.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:49 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times
What would be interesting is if one of those paranormal investigation shows did some EVP and spirit box sessions at Spence Field, along with medium investigations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal