Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,692,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If the economy completely failed, paper money would still be good for awhile (people assuming the economy will come back quickly), but it wont last for long.

I believe the economy is going to collapse completely.
I really hope you are wrong. On a very selfish note I do hope it takes a big short term hit. Especially real estate because I have been looking to buy a condo on the Oregon coast.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:18 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
How exactly would that even work?

Agreed -- you can't suppress the closing price for individual stocks and still have the market be a market.

Is he saying FEMA are faking just the reported DJIA or S&P 500 summary numbers? Given that the Dow Jones Industrial Average is literally an average anybody could calculate, it's not clear how FEMA could suppress that for more than a day, even if they could get S&P Dow Jones Indices to go along with the deception.
It's not only that, but:
Japan exchange group (Measured via the "Nikkei average")
London Stock Exchange
Euronext
Hong Kong Stock Exchange
Deutsche Börse
SIX Swiss Exchange
Shanghai Stock Exchange
and dozens of others.

There is also mercantile and commodity exchanges. Too many to list

Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I really hope you are wrong. On a very selfish note I do hope it takes a big short term hit. Especially real estate because I have been looking to buy a condo on the Oregon coast.
He is wrong.
Yeah, you have to look at it as a BUYING opportunity. Now is the time to invest, while prices are low.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I hope so too, but from what I see, I think its probable.(I have health problems and its going to be TOUGH for me, if I cannot continue my treatment or get my medicine).

And now my state is getting ready to close nearly EVERYTHING down for 3-4 weeks (except grocery stores and pharmacies)...there is NO WAY IN HELL the economy can handle that,plus, its not just my area, this is happening all over the world at the same time. and its not like they are saying, after 3-4 weeks, everything will re open, they said they will 're evaluate' at that point, (that is pretty vague).

There may be certain areas that do better than others, but overall, I dont think that will matter, they will be dragged down as the rest go down.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I hope so too, but from what I see, I think its probable.(I have health problems and its going to be TOUGH for me, if I cannot continue my treatment or get my medicine).

And now my state is getting ready to close nearly EVERYTHING down for 3-4 weeks (except grocery stores and pharmacies)...there is NO WAY IN HELL the economy can handle that,plus, its not just my area, this is happening all over the world at the same time. and its not like they are saying, after 3-4 weeks, everything will re open, they said they will 're evaluate' at that point, (that is pretty vague).

There may be certain areas that do better than others, but overall, I dont think that will matter, they will be dragged down as the rest go down.
That sucks, I wish you the best.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Hey sorry to hear about your situation man. It sucks indeed.

The government is going to infuse the economy with funding which will help temporarily, but of course the solution is to get people back to work - and buying and spending. You've heard the president saying he wants to get people back to work by easter, and is meeting resistance. The idea is to "have the curve flatten out" - we are already seeing this in some states - Washington, etc. The current hot spot is NYC. We also saw this in other countries - China, Korea, etc. So I agree with the presidents plan, get some states and areas back to work with minimal risk, other areas will take longer - obviously New York City.
Some politicians and groups fighting the president's plan are more interested in lives. That's a commendable thought - but yeah, the actual cure might be worse then the end result. America needs to get back to work. And I think it will soon regardless.

The economy will be in a mess for a few years, recession, all that. But the economy has been there before.
Some companies will go under, others will have to totally redefine how they operate. But the economy will survive.

There are some that are predicting all this doom and gloom, conspiracy. Hey that's what you find on the internet, it's just the nature of the internet. The media doesn't help either. Just ride it out.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 AM

334 posts, read 188,706 times
Quote:
If the economy completely failed, paper money would still be good for awhile (people assuming the economy will come back quickly), but it wont last for long.

I believe the economy is going to collapse completely.
You're absolutely correct rstevens...and the economy is crashing NOW as we speak. In fact, it was happening before now, but in this moment it's coming to a climax then the great fall. Yes, things will "appear" fine in the beginning after the stimulus package but it won't last for long. They're printing money like it's going out of style and it's literally worthless. Bank runs are starting already. If you can, invest your paper money in "tangible assets." We're in a desperate situation. Good Luck to you....! You're on the right track.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,560,901 times
I heard that a PR Big wig who died this week has tested positive for Corona. He had pre-existing conditions but he apparently died at home. That seems suspicious. What, he didn't know he was sick?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Its looking like I will be out of work starting on Monday 3-30!!

We had an e-conf this morning, they said KY is going to issue the 'stay at home' order, to begin on 3-30, and once that goes into effect, gas stations are no longer essential.

As far as I know, in every place with a lockdown gas stations are considered an essential business.

As for pulling all your cash out of the bank, if it collapses completely I hope you have enough guns and ammo to keep others from just taking it from you.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As far as I know, in every place with a lockdown gas stations are considered an essential business.

As for pulling all your cash out of the bank, if it collapses completely I hope you have enough guns and ammo to keep others from just taking it from you.
Guns are another great thing for when the economy has a down turn. A bunch of idiots that have never owned one and have no business owning one go out and buy them. When the economy comes back around like it always does hunters/gun enthusiasts can buy them for pennies on the dollar. I have bought several that way in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal