Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,945,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup.. thats pretty much all we get lately. Just a few days and back out. Nothing persistant.

If we had the setup of this Summer and Fall specifically June and November we would be frozen and snowy for weeks on end.

I'm looking for a few things for that to happen but time is running out now.

Dont get me wrong... we will see snow in the east again but if you're looking for brutal cold for days on end, forget it for now.

I'm curious, what would you consider a good winter (cold) for an area like NYC or Philly? Our avg high is 40 in Jan. The winter of 1976-77 and 1982-83 had a mean temp of 28F, well below the avg mean of 35F. A winter like that is certainly not frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,897,104 times
My theory that as the usa warms up we cool down seems to be right.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,897,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Jeez, this heat ain't no joke. It's hard to believe it's January when it feels more like July outside. It's ridiculous.

Hopefully my wife and I will be moving to someplace that gets cold soon. Looking at northern FL, GA or TN or maybe Alabama.

It is currently 78 degrees outside but it feels like 90. Just 400 miles or so in Tallahassee in the same state, it's 49 degrees and 60 in Tampa. Now what kind of a rip off is that??
You live at 26n what did you expect? Surely not cold!!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM

83,553 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Default Rainbow Temps 1/8/13

Current temps. I call this the rainbow blend.

Have you ever seen a blend like this??

Teens in PA, Southern NY into CT. 30s at the coast and local 40s at the SouthEast, RI, MA coast.

How warm is that Atlantic??

Here's the acxtual OBS from stations around. http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=RWR&form at=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,006,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Aren't "cold shots" the kind of winter we normally get?

I mean here we average 23 days in the three winter months with a high temp above 50F, and 14 days with max temp 32F or lower. Seems like more warm fronts than cold fronts.
I think he was talking in relative terms, like a consistent 5F below normal versus just "cold" shots that move in and out.

Quote:
I'm curious, what would you consider a good winter (cold) for an area like NYC or Philly? Our avg high is 40 in Jan. The winter of 1976-77 and 1982-83 had a mean temp of 28F, well below the avg mean of 35F. A winter like that is certainly not frequent.
I'll answer the question. On an absolute scale or relative scale? On an absolute scale, I'd rate a winter averaging 25/10F or colder with snowfall of 100 inches or more to be a good winter. On a relative scale, perhaps a winter that averages 5F below normal and snowfall that is significantly above normal. Relative to what you usually have 5F below normal would be great. You might not have a lot of -5F winters because of the ocean moderation, but you should get the general idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You live at 26n what did you expect? Surely not cold!!
Indeed, but it's still a sick joke of a winter. It also should be noted that some parts of Tibet that average 40F colder than Florida in winter are on the 26th parallel. As you know, however, that is at very high altitude, which Florida obviously doesn't have.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Just to keep things simple instead of mentioning years and numbers... a "good" cold winter would be temps ranging between 2 and 7 below normal for the daily mean at least 18 out of the 31 days in a month and at least 7 days being near normal, not above.

Thats a good winter. Harsh would obviously be more and deeper cold. Normal would be a fluctuation. Warm would be what we have been happening recently.

Take a look at Phillys data. Since December 1st there has only been 3 nights below normal. Thats actually seasonable to me not even below normal. So there really hasnt been any real below normal nights.

In fact, looking at the F6 data there has only been 3 mean temps below normal in the last 39 days.
National Weather Service Climate

Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
My theory that as the usa warms up we cool down seems to be right.
Do you think the UK is having a particularly cold winter this year? Not from the temps I've seen.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,664,684 times
Quote:
Do you think the UK is having a particularly cold winter this year? Not from the temps I've seen.
No. December was almost dead on average, the first week in January much above.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just to keep things simple instead of mentioning years and numbers... a "good" cold winter would be temps ranging between 2 and 7 below normal for the daily mean at least 18 out of the 31 days in a month and at least 7 days being near normal, not above.

Thats a good winter. Harsh would obviously be more and deeper cold. Normal would be a fluctuation. Warm would be what we have been happening recently.

Take a look at Phillys data. Since December 1st there has only been 3 nights below normal. Thats actually seasonable to me not even below normal. So there really hasnt been any real below normal nights.

In fact, looking at the F6 data there has only been 3 mean temps below normal in the last 39 days.
National Weather Service Climate

November however was 3.4f below normal.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
November however was 3.4f below normal.
Yup, November was in the Top 10 coolest around the Northeast locations (I didnt check south of NJ). That was the last time we saw a sustained trough in the NorthEast. But November is part of fall so it didnt count for this winter. If we had those results for Dec/Jan/Feb that would be a good cold winter. Hope you're enjoying the warmer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather