Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If it's only a few inches of snow until 7 PM, should be fine, usually the trains run ok in small amounts of snow. Will be more clear as it gets closer.
Are you talking about your area or the NYC area? I can't figure out the timing of this storm. Not sure if I could go to work tomorrow or not. Maybe squeeze in half a day, but the mini snowfall tonight and tomorrow morning can also put a wrench in the morning commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Are you talking about your area or the NYC area? I can't figure out the timing of this storm. Not sure if I could go to work tomorrow or not. Maybe squeeze in half a day, but the mini snowfall tonight and tomorrow morning can also put a wrench in the morning commute.
Beginning stuff will be light but that's not to say roads wont be slick. I think it gets heavier in afternoon for NJ and evening for NYC. Everyone needs to be off the roads after 6pm IMO around here... maybe sooner. So that means maybe by 3pm south of NYC?

Wont know until watching the radar tomorrow. If you can make it a half day...do it. Better safe then sorry.

Lets hope people don't try to leave at same time then get stuck in a traffic jam and we see cars starting to get buried on the highway because plows cant come through and its continuing to snow!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:31 PM

Quick Stat:

Bridgeport, CT Top Snowfall Totals for entire month of January. (not snowstorms, snowfall total for entire month!)

1. 2011: 42"
2. 1965: 26.2"
3. 1978: 23.2"
4. 2005: 21.5"
5. 1996: 20.5"

They have 9.7" this month so far. So another 16.6" of snow would make it the 2nd most snow total for January.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:33 PM

Old 01-25-2015, 01:36 PM

68 posts, read 88,548 times
What is the best case (as in, I want snow) for this storm? For Philly region could it possibly drop down where we get closer to foot and a half?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Beginning stuff will be light but that's not to say roads wont be slick. I think it gets heavier in afternoon for NJ and evening for NYC. Everyone needs to be off the roads after 6pm IMO around here... maybe sooner. So that means maybe by 3pm south of NYC?

Wont know until watching the radar tomorrow. If you can make it a half day...do it. Better safe then sorry.

Lets hope people don't try to leave at same time then get stuck in a traffic jam and we see cars starting to get buried on the highway because plows cant come through and its continuing to snow!
True. I don't want to get caught into a dangerous situation. If it weren't for the possible morning snowfall, I could just go in early and put in half a day or so (leave around 11 or noon), but I guess I can't make that call until tomorrow morning. Might just be easier to stay home and avoid any potential issues. I'm sure work will close Tuesday if the storm is as bad as anticipated. Perhaps they'll declare a state of emergency.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
NYC area. The person who asked was taking a train leaving out of NYC at 3 pm. Shouldn't be that heavy during her train ride.

Quote:
Train tracks should be ok, though right? Amtrak hasn't posted a snow advisory yet, but I think it's a good guess trains will be canceled on Tuesday.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 PM

We have been upgraded to Blizzard Warnings. Entire Southern CT, Long Island, NYC and Westchester. This is gonna be nuts....but we've been through it before...just always crazy to see and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARS View Post
What is the best case (as in, I want snow) for this storm? For Philly region could it possibly drop down where we get closer to foot and a half?
Easy to read map. Scroll and click location on map. Black line is the mean total among all members for that model. Make sure you click latest run at the top. Save this link.

This is Based on 10:1.

NCEP SREF Plume Viewer

Has 10" mean for Philly

Old 01-25-2015, 01:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,870 times
Oh man, tomorrow is my first day back to university. I have class till 7pm. Obviously I'll just skip if it comes down to that...

Quote:
Blizzard Warning in effect from 1 PM Monday to midnight EST Tuesday night... The National Weather Service in New York has issued a Blizzard Warning...which is in effect from 1 PM Monday to midnight EST Tuesday night. The blizzard watch is no longer in effect.
* Locations...New York City and surrounding immediate suburbs...Long Island...and most of southern Connecticut.
* Hazard types...heavy snow and blowing snow...with blizzard conditions.
* Accumulations...snow accumulation of 20 to 30 inches...with locally higher amounts possible. Snowfall rates of 2 to 4 inches per hour expected late Monday night into Tuesday morning.
* Winds...north 30 to 40 mph with gusts 55 to 65 mph...strongest across eastern Long Island.
* Visibilities...one quarter mile or less at times.
* Temperatures...in the lower 20s.
* Timing...light snow will begin Monday morning...with accumulations of 1 to 3 inches possible by the evening rush. Snow will pick up in intensity Monday evening...with the heaviest snow and strongest winds from about midnight Monday night into Tuesday afternoon.
* Impacts...life-threatening conditions and extremely dangerous travel due to heavy snowfall and strong winds...with whiteout conditions. Secondary and tertiary roads may become impassable. Strong winds may down power lines and tree limbs.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities will lead to whiteout conditions...making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If you must travel...have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded...stay with your vehicle.
All unnecessary travel is discouraged beginning Monday afternoon...to allow people already on the Road to safely reach their destinations before the heavy snow begins...and to allow snow removal equipment to begin to clear roads.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM

HOLY CRAP!!! 2-3 feet now forecasted across NWS NY coverage area. Get the history books out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather