Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times

Advertisements

Under the snow 30s. Over the snowpack, 10s.

Very clear where the deeper snowpack is. Mid-Upper 20s in southern Iowa, teens and single digits north. Wind chills below 0F in spots.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,355,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Current Alerts. Freeze Warnings down south tonight.

Freeze watch here for tomorrow night. My forecast low for tomorrow night is 29F. Tonight is 35F.

...STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING GUSTY NORTHERLY WINDS...COLDER AIR
AND AND THE FIRST FREEZE OF THE SEASON FOR PORTIONS OF THE AREA...

.A CANADIAN COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE COASTAL WATERS ON
TODAY. STRONG AND GUSTY NORTH WINDS WILL DEVELOP BEHIND THIS
FRONT AND PREVAIL INTO SUNDAY BEFORE DIMINISHING SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
A COLD AIRMASS WILL ALSO ACCOMPANY THE NORTHERLY WINDS. WITH WINDS
DIMINISHING LATE SUNDAY...CONDITIONS WILL ALLOW FOR TEMPERATURES
TO FALL SHARPLY SUNDAY NIGHT WITH OUR FIRST FREEZE OF THE SEASON
POSSIBLE BY MONDAY MORNING AS TEMPERATURES FALL BELOW 32 DEGREES
FOR LOCATIONS MAINLY NORTH OF I-10.

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAKE CHARLES HAS ISSUED A FREEZE
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING.

* TEMPERATURE...LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* DURATION...3 TO 6 HOURS OF NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES.

* IMPACTS...TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING CAN DAMAGE SENSITIVE
VEGETATION AND CAN BE HARMFUL TO PETS WHO DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT
WARM SHELTER.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:33 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Now this is more like it! El nino! Yeah!

Good to see this even in fantasy time frame.
Meh. The low pressure would need to be 250 miles further east to get anything good.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:34 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
We could get flurries tonight. High of 34F/1C tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:11 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Whats crazy is that they moved from Atlanta. They couldn't take the long Summers and heat down there. I was like , ummm, you went from one extreme to the other. LOL My sister said she was tired of the clouds lately. I haven't followed. No idea why or if its been cloudier than normal recent weeks. Warm Lake maybe?
I was mainly visiting Chautauqua county and most of that area seemed significantly economically depressed to me, like they hadn't seen much of any type of job growth or changes for more than 40-50 years at least.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I was mainly visiting Chautauqua county and most of that area seemed significantly economically depressed to me, like they hadn't seen much of any type of job growth or changes for more than 40-50 years at least.
A lot of the inland Northeast hasn't seem much economic growth, but western New York seems worse than most. And more of a generally bleak look, rural areas more rundown than eastern upstate NY or New England.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:26 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A lot of the inland Northeast hasn't seem much economic growth, but western New York seems worse than most. And more of a generally bleak look, rural areas more rundown than eastern upstate NY or New England.
Yes, I would agree with that. I recall Dunkirk to be exceedingly bleak, time seemed to be nearly frozen from about the 1955-1970 period. The topography of the area is also interesting, quite a bit more varied than most people would expect with the Allegheny Plateau nearby. Dunkirk is about 500ft elevation with Jamestown at about 1700ft elevation in the same county.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
western New York seems worse than most. And more of a generally bleak look, rural areas more rundown than eastern upstate NY or New England.
I agree, I have yet to visit her but driven through and heard stories from that way. Where she lives is very rural. Sheeps roam her backyard, more like a back "field". But theres a lot of poor undeveloped towns around there. She bought her house for $12,000. Yeah.. not a typo. So I dont blame the move. Lots of Amish folks around there too. Lots of Farmland too.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
I agree, I have yet to visit her but driven through and heard stories from that way. Where she lives is very rural. Sheeps roam her backyard, more like a back "field". But theres a lot of poor undeveloped towns around there. She bought her house for $12,000. Yeah.. not a typo. So I dont blame the move. Lots of Amish folks around there too. Lots of Farmland too.
Could be an interesting roadtrip out there if you can make the time; stop in the Catskills and the Finger Lakes... you'd like the gorges of the Finger lakes. Made it out to Letchworth State Park two summers ago, another 75 miles to go.

I saws a house selling for $15,000 in a rural area maybe 30 miles from here. It was in obvious terrible condition; adjacent houses were selling for at least 10 times the price. Does she like it out there? Was there any particular reason she chose western NY?

Old 11-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Does she like it out there? Was there any particular reason she chose western NY?
I drove to get my dog that way. Stayed overnight. Love it there. My type of environment. She likes the cold & snow better than the heat and humidity, especially down south. She likes the seasons and the neighbors (which are far from each other) She likes the rural life. Peaceful without the sound of sirens or lunatics running around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather