Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM

892 posts, read 859,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post
So your saying the majority of people living in Minneapolis are homeles? How would the residents of the city live if they never go out no matter the season?
You can go outside for an hour in a wide variety of temperatures. People even stay in the sauna at 200F. Is 200F a survivable temperature? Is this the level of intelligent conclusions you're taking me down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 PM

173 posts, read 159,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
You can go outside for an hour in a wide variety of temperatures. People even stay in the sauna at 200F. Is 200F a survivable temperature? Is this the level of intelligent conclusions you're taking me down?
By now I think you've just completely lost it. I don't think you realize that little if any of your posts here make sense. What sauna at 200 F?

Old 04-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
By now I think you've just completely lost it. I don't think you realize that little if any of your posts here make sense. What sauna at 200 F?
Explain your point above. What does Minnesotans being outside for some minutes at a time during their winter have to do with the danger or survivability of a certain temperature.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Here, a study by a PhD student which found that Americans were just as miserable with 80F max temps as they were with 30F max temps (of course, I'd be much happier at 30F myself).

Washington Post | This Settles It: Cold days are superior to hot days
This doesn't prove anything, as you can find both kinds of articles both defending cold and hot weather.

I have done this myself before even reading this anywhere. I typed "*city* *cold in the language of that country* OR *hot in the language of that country*" and I found something interesting:

Before starting, I'm going to say which cities I checked:

Birmingham, UK
Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Rome, Italy
Naples, Italy
Catania, Italy
Palermo, Italy
Bourges, France
Orleans, France
Nancy, France
Paris, France
Melbourne, Australia
Frankfurt, Germany
Berlin, Germany
Hamburg, Germany
Neuquen, Argentina
Viedma, Argentina
Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina
Rio Gallegos, Argentina
Ushuaia, Argentina

I've checked what people thought about the cold in Birmingham and Dublin in the cold wave of 2013, and most of them were complaining. The temperatures didn't get much below 20 °F, and went nowhere as cold as the 10 °F we were mentioning before. They commented about it being a "winter wonderland", that's "full of snow" and that they were "freezing". Many were complaining that it was too cold compared to *random British city*.

OTOH, people in Dublin were complaining about the heat, "It's like Africa hot in Dublin" (when the high of that day was 23 °C/74 °F). The highest temperature ever recorded in that month was 24 °C (76 °F).

In Melbourne, they usually complain about the heat when the day is above 90 °F (32 °C) and complain about the cold when the high is below 60 °F (16 °C).

People in Italy are constantly complaining about the summer heat (every day), but will also complain about the cold when the high is below 60 °F (16 °C), similar to people in Melbourne.

People in France usually complain about the heat when it's above 80 °F (27 °C) and about the cold when the high is below 45 °F (7 °C), I guess?

People in Germany are very similar to France.

People in Argentina (a very climatologically diverse country) complain differently depending on the city.

In the North they are the same as in Italy, but in Rio Gallegos they start to find when it's above 77 °F (25 °C) - a bit too hot for their tastes.

In Ushuaia, everything above 68 °F (20 °C) is "heat" (calor). I remember one tweet where a person said "Two consecutive days of heat in Ushuaia, that's a miracle!", when actually it was just two days above 68 °F (20 °C).

Now I'm leaving my computer because I'm using it constantly for hours. See you next time keep commenting, I'll reply tomorrow!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Explain your point above. What does Minnesotans being outside for some minutes at a time during their winter have to do with the danger or survivability of a certain temperature.
Well if their outside no matter for how much time in the winter they're surviving. Also temperatures often fall below 10 F each winter night. If you think 50 F artic weather I bet you think 10 F is waaayy beyond ice cap.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Well if their outside no matter for how much time in the winter they're surviving. Also temperatures often fall below 10 F each winter night. If you think 50 F artic weather I be you think 10 F is waaayy beyond ice cap.
By the same logic, many people go to a spa and pay money to use a Sauna. 200F. They obviously survive. It can't be all that dangerous. You should go ahead and spend a prolonged period in 200 degrees.

You're a very brilliant man.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,409 times
Quote:
By the same logic, many people go to a spa and pay money to use a Sauna. 200F. They obviously survive. It can't be all that dangerous. You should go ahead and spend a prolonged period in 200 degrees.

200 °F is much more extreme than 10 °F.

Even if we put your comfort temperature at 75 °F, 200 °F would be comparable to -50 °F. People still survive at that temperature (Yakutsk), but it's not comfortable by any means.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:27 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Quote:
You realize there's Minnesotans who spend hours outside Ice Fishing, Snowmobiling, Snowshoeing, Hiking, etc during the winter at temperatures less than 10 F right? Not everyone spends "some minutes" outside.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You realize there's Minnesotans who spend hours outside Ice Fishing,
lol when they go ice fishing they have little shantys, they're not outside:

It's hard for me to speak for everyone, but winter is definitely "cabin fever season" in Minnesota. I used to do some business there, thankfully it was mostly in the summer. So when the company flew me in the summer, I was shocked to learn they instituted a "Summer Working Hours", which was leave at noon(!). I asked them what this was about, and they told me it was just so people can enjoy being outside before the cold weather came back, it rolled back on Labor Day.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:

A spa water temperature of 200 F will feel much less extreme than a 10 F air temperature. Of course thats easy to survive. A 200 F air temperature you would die instantly. Not so if its a 10 F air temperature and dressed properly. I never said 10 F was not dangerous. Stop being sarcastic.

Last edited by nei; 04-13-2016 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather