Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

If you are under midday sun then you aren't really feeling 100f on your skin, it would probably be more like 130-140f. 100f in the shade would be quite easily survivable, assuming you had water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:08 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I do not exaggerate anything, people heat their homes to upper 60s in the winter and still sleep in duvets. Anyone can try it and see how it's easy to sleep at 50 degrees. For the human body it's much easier to sleep at 90 than 50. And I challenge anyone here who thinks they're smart to produce a scientific paper refuting that.
I set my home to the upper 60's as well, but I sleep in the duvets not because I feel cold, but because I need pressure to relax. I can easily not sleep in duvets. There are some people who like to sleep outside watching meteor showers some parts of the year (even though they usually see two or three during the whole night), even if the low is around 55. They don't die.

How can you sleep at 90 if you are constantly sweating and having trouble breathing that sticky hot air? Maybe an in between would be better? 65? 70?

Old 04-06-2016, 05:10 PM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I set my home to the upper 60's as well, but I sleep in the duvets not because I feel cold, but because I need pressure to relax. I can easily not sleep in duvets. There are some people who like to sleep outside watching meteor showers some parts of the year (even though they usually see two or three during the whole night), even if the low is around 55. They don't die.

How can you sleep at 90 if you are constantly sweating and having trouble breathing that sticky hot air? Maybe an in between would be better? 65? 70?
If you're under a duvet, the air between your body and the duvet is probably in the 80s after some time. You might think it's easy to sleep at upper 60s without a duvet, so just try. It will feel fine at first, but you will wake up terribly cold.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:21 PM

And... 100 °F is very painful to survive. You can survive, of course, death is a bit much (you can survive at 0 °F as well, though). If you spend a day outside at 100 °F, I think after 30 minutes (or even less) you'd feel helplessness and faint. It's not something to underestimate.

I think above around 45 °F it should be fine. You can dress. However, if the temperature falls below 20 °F, your blood vases will restrict and you may get frostbite.

If you're strictly talking about 50 °F, there should be no problem. I've spent birthdays post-sunset evenings outside in short-sleeves below 50 °F and light cotton long-sleeves below 40 °F, both for more than two hours, and nothing happened. One evening below 40 °F, though, was a bit windy (around 20 km/h; 12 mph; if I remember correctly), so the windchill was slightly below freezing, and I was feeling a bit chilly only wearing a long-sleeved light cotton shirt. Towards the last quarter I was thinking about being under the blankets, in the warmth of my bed. I didn't die. I didn't get ill. During that time when I was feeling chilly I was still talking with my friends and walking without any apparent discomfort as seen from another person. At a windless 50 °F night I feel cold at about 5% of the times, because it also depends on my mood.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
If you're under a duvet, the air between your body and the duvet is probably in the 80s after some time. You might think it's easy to sleep at upper 60s without a duvet, so just try. It will feel fine at first, but you will wake up terribly cold.
Well, I did. After a night party (at my friend's home) that ended at around 3:33 A.M. when I got home I was so tired that when I layed on my bed I immediately fell asleep, without using blankets. I didn't feel cold, and when I woke up I was normal.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Well, I did. After a night party (at my friend's home) that ended at around 3:33 A.M. when I got home I was so tired that when I layed on my bed I immediately fell asleep, without using blankets. I didn't feel cold, and when I woke up I was normal.
You're obviously lying, considering your experiences don't match with what Majami thinks it should be.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
And... 100 °F is very painful to survive.
In an equivalent scenario - short sleeves and shorts, 100 F is much more comfortable to survive than 50 degrees. This is true for all human beings.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Why sleep in a duvet? Isn't it too warm? Afterall it traps air, allows it warm up to 80s. And you sleep in that? yuck Sleep in comfortable 60s

Old 04-06-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You're obviously lying, considering your experiences don't match with what Majami thinks it should be.
Well, that's the latest I've ever been. Almost always, if I'm with my friends, I'm home earlier than 9:00 P.M.
That 3:33 A.M. was exceptional, but I've slept without blankets at least 15 times during my life.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Well, that's the latest I've ever been. Almost always, if I'm with my friends, I'm home earlier than 9:00 P.M.
That 3:33 A.M. was exceptional, but I've slept without blankets at least 15 times during my life.
I know, I was just being sarcastic lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather