Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 04:15 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You have no idea what I have done, so bringing that into discussion is stupid.
It's not stupid when you open your mouth (or in this case type on your keyboard) and betray your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
It's not stupid when you open your mouth (or in this case type on your keyboard) and betray your experience.
Lol you are completely retarded, this discussion has become silly. You think I'm betraying my experience because it doesn't fit your view of what I should experience, which is moronic.

Actually, I'm done with this argument. You're right, 70 degrees is deadly, and I should be locked inside my house to escape such inhospitable conditions.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:24 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
I think you are missing a point.

50 °F is not dangerous at all, even if you spend 24 hours in that in short-sleeves. 40 °F is dangerous because you can get hypothermia after about 12 hours (a random guess, nothing scientific) if you're wearing shorts and short-sleeves, but if you dress correctly there shouldn't be any problem.

The fact is, Atlanta can get well below 20 °F, it can get to 15 °F in some nights. That's much colder than the mild 50 °F. That's about the difference between 50 °F and 85 °F, but some people might not think about that, thinking that's just slightly cool because they see videos about Ottawa in the winter, seeing that the people are not complaining. That's wrong. That's just an illusion. 15 °F is very very cold. That's -9.4 °C for Celsius users. You'll feel freezing even if you're properly dressed, and it feels bad to be outside for more than 10 minutes. Maybe you've seen videos of Winnipeg/Yellowknife/Iqaluit/Omsk/Novosibirsk/Norilsk/*any cold winter city* with temperatures below -25 °C (-12 °F), and you saw that life went as usual, so you thought a much higher, but still much below freezing, temperature would not feel cold at all. That's wrong. That's just an illusion. 15 °F feels very cold. It's obvious that people will die. It's not the 50 °F that will make them die. I think people will survive winter better in Hobart (Tasmania) than in Atlanta.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I think you are missing a point.

50 °F is not dangerous at all, even if you spend 24 hours in that in short-sleeves. 40 °F is dangerous because you can get hypothermia after about 12 hours (a random guess, nothing scientific) if you're wearing shorts and short-sleeves, but if you dress correctly there shouldn't be any problem.

The fact is, Atlanta can get well below 20 °F, it can get to 15 °F in some nights. That's much colder than the mild 50 °F. That's about the difference between 50 °F and 85 °F, but some people might not think about that, thinking that's just slightly cool because they see videos about Ottawa in the winter, seeing that the people are not complaining. That's wrong. That's just an illusion. 15 °F is very very cold. That's -9.4 °C for Celsius users. You'll feel freezing even if you're properly dressed, and it feels bad to be outside for more than 10 minutes. Maybe you've seen videos of Winnipeg/Yellowknife/Iqaluit/Omsk/Novosibirsk/Norilsk/*any cold winter city* with temperatures below -25 °C (-12 °F), and you saw that life went as usual, so you thought a much higher, but still much below freezing, temperature would not feel cold at all. That's wrong. That's just an illusion. 15 °F feels very cold. It's obvious that people will die. It's not the 50 °F that will make them die. I think people will survive winter better in Hobart (Tasmania) than in Atlanta.
I don't think anyone is arguing that 15 F isn't cold, because it obviously is. As I've said about a million times, Atlanta can and will get cold during the winter and sometimes bitterly so. It dropped to 6 F in 2014 in Atlanta.

That type of weather is a lot of times counterbalanced by warm weather though, There is plenty of 60 and 70 degree days in Atlanta during winter as well.

I'm comparing average temperatures in winter vs. summer in Atlanta, which is roughly 50 F vs. 90 F. Tell me 50 F is more dangerous than 90 F.

15 F isn't an ordinary temperature in Atlanta. Happens once or twice a winter, and sometimes doesn't even occur at all.

It can also get into upper 90s and even top 100 F in summer in Atlanta too. That weather can kill anyone that's doing the slightest of exertion.

I can go run for an hour at 50 F with ease, at 90 F it'll be tough.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:37 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Walks in,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Some people are ****ing stupid.
Walks out.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Walks in,

Walks out.
Pretty much.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
which is roughly 50 F vs. 90 F. Tell me 50 F is more dangerous than 90 F.
It is, especially if you're going to be sleeping outside.

Fun game for you, find the nearest homeless person and ask him if he prefers to sleep in 50s or 90s. In Miami you will get both.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
It is, especially if you're going to be sleeping outside.

Fun game for you, find the nearest homeless person and ask him if he prefers to sleep in 50s or 90s. In Miami you will get both.
The average person doesn't sleep outside, so that argument is pointless.

I'm sure sleeping outside in 95 degree, humid weather is downright pleasant.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
The average person doesn't sleep outside, so that argument is pointless.

I'm sure sleeping outside in 95 degree, humid weather is downright pleasant.
The average person is not homeless and doesn't have to deal with the elements. They have a heated home.

Now ask a homeless person, his preference for comfort, Miami in the winter or Miami in the summer. Guarantee you they will say the summer, and yet they don't have AC outside .

Old 04-06-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The average person is not homeless and doesn't have to deal with the elements. They have a heated home.

Now ask a homeless person, his preference for comfort, Miami in the winter or Miami in the summer. Guarantee you they will say the summer, and yet they don't have AC outside .
Ok, if you say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather