Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 03:30 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Some are, but many aren't. They come from places like Atlanta to spend a winter here, because it's tough/dangerous to spend a winter in the elements in Atlanta. It's however not dangerous to spend a summer outside in Atlanta.
Eh? There's homeless people in every town and city in the UK, and somehow they survive the winter, despite winter here being colder than Atlanta.

Unless of course they jet off to the Mediterranean to be homeless there during the winter months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 03:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Some are, but many aren't. They come from places like Atlanta to spend a winter here, because it's tough/dangerous to spend a winter in the elements in Atlanta. It's however not dangerous to spend a summer outside in Atlanta.
Yes it is, there were people in my school who had to get hospitalized for heat exhaustion during football tryouts in August. Granted, this was August 2007 which was ridiculously hot, but summer in Atlanta can be dangerous if you exert yourself a lot, which I do when I go out running or workout outside.

It's a lot easier to go for an intense and long run at 40-50 F than it is at 90 F or even 80 F. Anyone who runs a lot will tell you cool weather is optimal.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Eh? There's homeless people in every town and city in the UK, and somehow they survive the winter, despite winter here being colder than Atlanta.

Unless of course they jet off to the Mediterranean to be homeless there during the winter months...
He thinks temperature below 70 F are "harsh". He just likes to exaggerate how dangerous "cold" weather is.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The homeless are here all year, what are you talking about? Anyways, of course a Miami winter is easier to deal with than an Atlanta winter being homeless, how does that make Atlanta "harsh"? The homeless don't have adequate clothes to keep warm, the average person has no issue keeping warm in an Atlanta winter. Anyways, you're using the people with the lowest amounts of resources in society to prove a point, which takes away from your point. It's like saying 50 F is more dangerous than 90 F because you would suffer more being naked at 50 F.
The fact that homeless don't have adequate clothes is true, in fact it would be better to compare average people who have the correct clothing.

However, I think winters in Atlanta are harsh. For example, in 2010, it got 9 consecutive days with highs below 3 °C (38 °F) (with 7 of them being at or below freezing point), with lows ranging from -11 °C (13 °F) to -5 °C (23 °F). That's very cold. I don't enjoy that kind of weather at all.

In January 2011 it got 5 consecutive days of highs at or below 1 °C (34 °F), with 2 of them being below freezing, and lows as low as -8 °C (18 °F).

January 2012 and 2013 were milder, but there were still some iceolated cold days, though not consecutive.

January 2014 was frigid (it got as low as -15 °C/5 °F), with plenty of subfreezing highs, with very cold morning temperatures.

January 2015 was also very cold, with temperatures dropping as low as -13 °C (9 °F).

January 2016 was milder, but there were still cold days.

Overall, it's the same reason I don't like Melbourne's summers. They're a lion dressed as a sheep. I'll check historical weather more often before making statements next times.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:37 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
He thinks temperature below 70 F are "harsh". He just likes to exaggerate how dangerous "cold" weather is.
He/she wouldn't like it here then!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
The fact that homeless don't have adequate clothes is true, in fact it would be better to compare average people who have the correct clothing.

However, I think winters in Atlanta are harsh. For example, in 2010, it got 9 consecutive days with highs below 3 °C (38 °F) (with 7 of them being at or below freezing point), with lows ranging from -11 °C (13 °F) to -5 °C (23 °F). That's very cold. I don't enjoy that kind of weather at all.

In January 2011 it got 5 consecutive days of highs at or below 1 °C (34 °F), with 2 of them being below freezing, and lows as low as -8 °C (18 °F).

January 2012 and 2013 were milder, but there were still some iceolated cold days, though not consecutive.

January 2014 was frigid (it got as low as -15 °C/5 °F), with plenty of subfreezing highs, with very cold morning temperatures.

January 2015 was also very cold, with temperatures dropping as low as -13 °C (9 °F).

January 2016 was milder, but there were still cold days.

Overall, it's the same reason I don't like Melbourne's summers. They're a lion dressed as a sheep. I'll check historical weather more often before making statements next times.
I think you're putting too much focus on the cold periods. Like I said, it CAN be harsh but overall it isn't.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:48 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
It's a lot easier to go for an intense and long run at 40-50 F than it is at 90 F or even 80 F. Anyone who runs a lot will tell you cool weather is optimal.
Quote:
Don't beat the heat: You're likelier to die in Georgia when it's cold
Don't beat the heat: You're likelier to die in Georgia when... | www.ajc.com

Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Lol, that very same article listed at least three other factors that could lead to higher deaths during winter, namely, people being inactive and eating unhealthy. That's not cold, more of people's lifestyle choices.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:54 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
Lol, that very same article listed at least three other factors that could lead to higher deaths during winter, namely, people being inactive and eating unhealthy. That's not cold, more of people's lifestyle choices.
Everything you've said in this thread has been entirely your speculation, and there is absolutely no evidence for it whatsoever.

At least here you can see the deaths in Georgia correlate with their outdoor temperature. And it's probably, in part, due to homeless deaths from those who remained in Georgia.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Everything you've said in this thread has been entirely your speculation, and there is absolutely no evidence for it whatsoever.

At least here you can see the deaths in Georgia correlate with their outdoor temperature. And it's probably, in part, due to homeless deaths from those who remained in Georgia.
How is it speculation when the article itself mentioned it?

And there you go again bringing up the homeless. It's obviously easier to survive in a t-shirt and shorts when it's 80 F or 90 F than when it's 30 F or 40 F. I don't get how that's even a point. Homeless people don't represent the majority of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather