Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 02:37 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times

Advertisements

Fine, I take back what I said. I checked Atlanta on Wunderground and it sure can get harsh for around 3/6 consecutive days. I didn't think it was that cold. Those cold waves are similar to what New York City can get. So, yes, it can be very harsh on some days. Really cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Atlanta's winter's not harsh at all. It's comparable to Hobart, Tasmania. Winters get harsh north of New York City, IMO, with the city being borderline.

This. It's highly likely that much more people die in Atlanta in the summer rather than winter, it's just that they don't print that because it would occupy too many newspaper's pages.

I think Minneapolis has very hot summers, with many days getting above 90 °F, it wouldn't be very pleasant to go outside for more than 15 minutes on those days. There are other comfortable (though very warm) summer days in Minneapolis, but that doesn't take back the fact that there also many hot days. Never underestimate a place's summer just because there gets extremely cold winters.

However, I think Miami's summers are harsh. Temperatures are above 90 °F virtually every day, with no kind of relief even in the early morning, and I'd be confined to A/C buildings for 4 consecutive months, since I prefer temperatures between 50 °F and 70 °F when walking outside (I can stretch them from 35 °F to 77 °F too, but the former range is more comfortable for me).
Yeah, Atlanta is certainly harsher in summer than winter.

Minneapolis can definitely get hot in summer, but it wouldn't be what I would call harsh. It's certainly very warm though, with many days of hot and humid weather every summer. I think Minneapolis is a paradise for people who want everything nature can dish out. Gets very cold in winter, can get hot in summer, plenty of thunderstorms and snowstorms and quickly changing weather.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Fine, I take back what I said. I checked Atlanta on Wunderground and it sure can get harsh for around 3/6 consecutive days. I didn't think it was that cold. Those cold waves are similar to what New York City can get. So, yes, it can be very harsh on some days. Really cold.
Yes it can be harsh on some days, but it can also be mild on some days too. Overall, the averages are benign. I honestly think you would enjoy an ATL winter. I remember you mentioning you like 50 F and overcast weather, which Atlanta receives in abundance every winter.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:52 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, Atlanta is certainly harsher in summer than winter.
In terms of what will kill you, it's harsher in the winter. Try to spend winter outside for considerable periods in Atlanta, the net result is Miami gets most of her homeless.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:54 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,672,495 times
Quote:
Atlanta's winter's not harsh at all. It's comparable to Hobart, Tasmania. Winters get harsh north of New York City, IMO, with the city being borderline.

This. It's highly likely that much more people die in Atlanta in the summer rather than winter, it's just that they don't print that because it would occupy too many newspaper's pages.

I think Minneapolis has very hot summers, with many days getting above 90 °F, it wouldn't be very pleasant to go outside for more than 15 minutes on those days. There are other comfortable (though very warm) summer days in Minneapolis, but that doesn't take back the fact that there also many hot days. Never underestimate a place's summer just because there gets extremely cold winters.

However, I think Miami's summers are harsh. Temperatures are above 90 °F virtually every day, with no kind of relief even in the early morning, and I'd be confined to A/C buildings for 4 consecutive months, since I prefer temperatures between 50 °F and 70 °F when walking outside (I can stretch them from 35 °F to 77 °F too, but the former range is more comfortable for me).
Stopped reading at this point..

Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
In terms of what will kill you, it's harsher in the winter. Try to spend winter outside for considerable periods in Atlanta, the net result is Miami gets most of her homeless.
Lol, spending winter outside for considerable periods is what I used to do. I loved the cool and refreshing weather. 30-50 F weather won't kill you unless you're naked. Baseball tryouts for my school were during December-February and it wasn't hard to deal with. Better than 90 F weather for sure.

A summer heat wave in Atlanta is much more harsh than winter cold snaps, a high of 100 F and a low of 75-80 F is much more harsh than a high of 30 F and a low of 10 F.

If you physically exert yourself enough in an Atlanta summer, you can get heat stroke.

Anyways, there's much more breaks in winter in Atlanta than in summer. There's plenty of 60 degree days in winter in Atlanta. A break in the heat and humidity between June and early September is not very common in Atlanta.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Lol, spending winter outside for considerable periods is what I used to do. I loved the cool and refreshing weather. 30-50 F weather won't kill you unless you're naked.
Tell that to the homeless who come here in droves wintertime and come back to Atlanta our summer.

Please, do tell them that. Homelessness is a curse on Miami Beach.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:12 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Stopped reading at this point..
Check Minneapolis in July 2015 (last summer), it got 10 consecutive days with a high of at least 29 °C at the end of the month. If that's not hot...

Quote:
Anyways, there's much more breaks in winter in Atlanta than in summer. There's plenty of 60 degree days in winter in Atlanta. A break in the heat and humidity between June and early September is not very common in Atlanta.
That's true! I thought it was a lot warmer, though (perfectly in topic with the thread LOOOL), before today. I thought it was like Tasmania but with warmer spells. I was wrong. However, it's true that Atlanta doesn't get a lot of breaks in the summer, as opposed to the winter. Most of the days in the summer are at least 29 °C, and it's very difficult to find a day that doesn't reach at least 29 °C in the summer, so it's permanently stuck in a cap of heat. It's slightly better than Miami, though.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Tell that to the homeless who come here in droves wintertime and come back to Atlanta our summer.

Please, do tell them that. Homelessness is a curse on Miami Beach.
The homeless are here all year, what are you talking about? Anyways, of course a Miami winter is easier to deal with than an Atlanta winter being homeless, how does that make Atlanta "harsh"? The homeless don't have adequate clothes to keep warm, the average person has no issue keeping warm in an Atlanta winter. Anyways, you're using the people with the lowest amounts of resources in society to prove a point, which takes away from your point. It's like saying 50 F is more dangerous than 90 F because you would suffer more being naked at 50 F.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The homeless are here all year, what are you talking about?
Some are, but many aren't. They come from places like Atlanta to spend a winter here, because it's tough/dangerous to spend a winter in the elements in Atlanta. It's however not dangerous to spend a summer outside in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather