Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times

Advertisements

Does the US use a PAYE system? It sounds weird that you guys have to file a tax return every year (whereas here, only self-employed do).

Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,495,632 times
I love American football and college basketball.

In college football, the good teams are too good and the bad teams are too bad so it's too predictable so it's hard to care when some team like Alabama is always in the championship every year and when teams win most of their games like 52-3. Also, not much fun to watch teams get blown out 52-3. In the NBA, the players are too good, there's not enough defense and there's too much scoring so it gets pretty boring. Hockey and European football feel kind of random and repetitive so I don't find them all that interesting to watch. Also, the lack of scoring is unfortunate--just seems like a long time of guys running or skating around over and over again and occasionally scoring. Baseball is the worst though. So much standing around, and so many plays where nothing happens and only rarely is there anything of interest. Even when there's a hit, people are often just jogging around. And 162 games? Wtf? Who cares anymore and especially when a team can go on a 50 game losing streak and win they're division. Hard to care when the games are pretty meaningless. Same with NBA and NHL to a lesser extent. Tennis can be fun to watch though.

The NCAA tournament is by far my favorite sporting event. Love all the upsets, the buzzer beaters, and all the games. I like the NFL playoffs a lot too. Anything with 7 game series is boring, the higher seed wins way too often and there's too many games making the playoffs drag on for 2 months.

To play, anything but baseball is a lot of fun.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:17 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I had a meltdown because the whole forum is contaminated with fake news and other bull****. If you don't get it, ok, I can't help you.
It's the 1930's all over, and the Muslim-hating is f**cking dangerous and scary. It demonises a religion of 1.6 billion people, classifying them as subhumans. Today it might be idiots on the Internet, tomorrow it might be a christallnacht. The third day it might be gas chambers.

Recently this forum has caused me nothing less than misery, depression and facepalming. My blood pressure will be better if I leave. This has nothing to do with the weather forum though, where I think most of you are ok.

I deleted my friends list. Don't take it personal.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I had a meltdown because the whole forum is contaminated with fake news and other bull****. If you don't get it, ok, I can't help you.
It's the 1930's all over, and the Muslim-hating is f**cking dangerous and scary. It demonises a religion of 1.6 billion people, classifying them as subhumans. Today it might be idiots on the Internet, tomorrow it might be a christallnacht. The third day it might be gas chambers.

Recently this forum has caused me nothing less than misery, depression and facepalming. My blood pressure will be better if I leave. This has nothing to do with the weather forum though, where I think most of you are ok.

Stay on the weather forum and place the rest of CityData on ignore then? Seems a bit of an overreaction to permanently withdraw because of other subforums?

Would miss you if you went

Old 01-21-2017, 02:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

https://twitter.com/thisisbray/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Lots of people feel like you. Don't lose hope. With things like Trump and Brexit, they were far from decisive. At best you could say people are very divided right now.

The next 4 years will be very interesting.

But yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I feel a lot better when I take a break from discussing politics because I find myself getting really angry. The reason I don't discuss these matters in real life too much is because I could genuinely punch people in the face. I have lost friends over things like this - and it's really hard for me to go back to a state of friendly chit chat with certain people when I realise they think a certain way.

And the thing I find funny is that you are clearly not some far-left loony. There are deep divisions even within political parties or political leanings. I know Tories who are globalist and socially liberally who really dislike Theresa May's rhetoric and will probably vote Liberal Democrat in 2020. This is where the centre left and centre right could unite. If the UK had a PR electoral system, I could definitely imagine the Tories and Labour splitting.

Anyway.. politics has really consumed this thread and I think it's gotten out of hand. I think it would be better if this thread was closed.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-21-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 03:01 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
In college football, the good teams are too good and the bad teams are too bad so it's too predictable so it's hard to care when some team like Alabama is always in the championship every year and when teams win most of their games like 52-3. Also, not much fun to watch teams get blown out 52-3.
The thing I don't like about college football is that the regular season is more important than the postseason. I'd like to see a team that lost a couple of games early on be able to learn from their mistakes and make a championship run. Instead, they get to play in a meaningless Taxslayer Capital One Hyundai Toilet Bowl. Yawn. If the playoffs included 8-16 teams it would be much more interesting IMO.

Quote:
In the NBA, the players are too good, there's not enough defense and there's too much scoring so it gets pretty boring.
I agree with that too, although the intensity does go up in the playoffs.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
The thing I don't like about college football is that the regular season is more important than the postseason. I'd like to see a team that lost a couple of games early on be able to learn from their mistakes and make a championship run. Instead, they get to play in a meaningless Taxslayer Capital One Hyundai Toilet Bowl. Yawn. If the playoffs included 8-16 teams it would be much more interesting IMO.
As a European (good excuse for not having a clue ) are there just four teams in the playoffs in that competition? It seems a bit daft to have the entire year be like a playoff. That's even too American for many Americans I guess...

Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
To play, anything but baseball is a lot of fun.
Baseball is unbelievably boring to play. I actually like watching it, it's very relaxing to make a cup of coffee and chew on a French pastry while watching the Yankees

Valencia stunned the 6th placed Villarreal away! 7 points above the relegation zone so far. Maybe it's a pipe dream but we could still finish in the European spots this season, there is a ton of mid-table teams stuck close together

Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
As a European (good excuse for not having a clue ) are there just four teams in the playoffs in that competition? It seems a bit daft to have the entire year be like a playoff. That's even too American for many Americans I guess...
Yes. And prior to 2014, there was no playoff at all. The two highest ranked teams at the end of the season were automatically in the championship game.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Baseball is unbelievably boring to play. I actually like watching it, it's very relaxing to make a cup of coffee and chew on a French pastry while watching the Yankees
My issue with both baseball and american football is that it seems to be non-action most of the time. It seems like it's five minutes between every play for a foreign onlooker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather