Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yeah and don't forget your wellies and umbrella too, after all the weather is simply 'sh*t' right? Oh and it will be raining............constantly, well permanent drizzle anyway and it will only be 20 degrees every day. At least if you are attired that way you will fit in with the other tourists.

Maybe some of those tourists are from the southern US and they find 23C in summer downright cool to the point of jackets. If where you came from had every day 90F with a low temp that barely went below 75F I hope you can understand why some tourists would wear a jacket there. Why do people living here wear jackets on the odd summer day with a high temp in the low 70'sF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It's very possible that London might see a warmer average high than the city of Chicago this May...

ORD and MDW as of 21st have an avg high of just 18.8C. IKK has an avg max of 20.9C as of the 21st..

Wow cool May for you. Our avg high currently is 72.1F (22.3C).

Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
I'm more interested to see if this warm spell can recover our sunshine hours to around average. It's about time we has some average/above average sunshine in the warmer months of the year. Hopefully so.

At least June looks like starting in a good way for the first time in a while.. we've had some horrendously cool starts to June in recent years.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 AM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow cool May for you. Our avg high currently is 72.1F (22.3C).
It's really been awful.... As of now, this May is in top 40 coolest on record for Chicago. And if you subtract the years when readings were taken on the lakeshore which would be obviously cooler given the cold lake this time of year, and just use ORD or MDW, the ranking jumps to 17th coolest

Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I'm more interested to see if this warm spell can recover our sunshine hours to around average. It's about time we has some average/above average sunshine in the warmer months of the year. Hopefully so.

At least June looks like starting in a good way for the first time in a while.. we've had some horrendously cool starts to June in recent years.
I don't think we will have a chance of getting sun hours to average. We are currently on about 90 hrs or so, so we would need about 12 hrs a day, every day, starting from this morning to even reach the typical 200 hours for May.

Best estimates, I think we will end up around 160 hrs this month. May 2012 almost identical (first 3 weeks were the coldest and cloudiest on record, then the last week was 80s).

GFS going for 32c at the weekend!

Last edited by B87; 05-22-2017 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Good point. I think Auckland and London sharing similar temperatures, shows how temperature alone doesn't define how good or bad, people perceive a climate to be.

London is hotter than my summer by 1C, yet people from there or elsewhere in the UK don't talk about warm the summers are there. The general perception that I've gotten from those Brits I've asked, is that summer here is several degrees warmer.
that tells me a lot in so far that folk will believe what they want to believe - and that is fine - it's normal .

if someone left England for NZ and the climate was identical they would not see it as such - they would see the new location as superior ,in the same way if you move to a new house it's superior -or a new girlfriend, a new car -new area - superior , and so on .

It is never in the nature of people to accept they haven't improved their lot - and it is very easy to convince yourself a climate is better - because that is what your mind is telling you to think .

Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
I will have my opinion thank you, and my opinion is that 'sh*t' is not a very insightful description of the climate here, it is certainly not very helpful, it IS a lazy stereotype, the British weather..........THE most talked about on here and THE least understood.
Quote:
Yeah and don't forget your wellies and umbrella too, after all the weather is simply 'sh*t' right? Oh and it will be raining............constantly, well permanent drizzle anyway and it will only be 20 degrees every day. At least if you are attired that way you will fit in with the other tourists.
Quote:
being a small island surrounded by water I can agree..but Im sure there have been plenty of 26C+ "heat" days at that latitude already in Canada and probably Russia...

As for the summer day lengths, what good are they with those horrible sunshine hours

Sorry just can't ever get used to British media outlets sensationalize temps that are anything but sensational.[/quote]

But your posts have been 'sensationalising' the British weather all Winter? What happened to the extreme cold, ice and snow you promised us over and over again?
I'm genuinely amazed that you're even capable of breathing unassisted.
If there's another person on this forum as ignorant and stubborn as you, I've not seen them. You're incapable of listening to anybody elses opinion, and constantly overlook facts when they're presented to you. You're just hostile and defensive to the point that you just look like an idiot.
It's completely unnecessary.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
At least there's someone else for people to attack now rather than just me, lol.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
At least there's someone else for people to attack now rather than just me, lol.
I don't think anybody is attacking you. You actually acknowledge others opinions whether you agree or not, and are capable of intelligent conversation without resorting to whining. That's why people respond to you.

You also have very good knowledge of the climate and fauna in your area, which is useful to all of us here

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
the London stereotype business , 20c cloud/drizzle etc etc - probably has arrived through tourists visiting the entire UK and not just London . Maybe an American will visit Ireland and Scotland ....and form an opinion as they have experienced it .
People ,even Brits don't always think of the UK as having different climates - just the one which is mental imo ,as France isn't lumped together and yet the differences between top and bottom are almost the same here, as there . dry/wet , cold/warm ,cloudy/sunny .

If tourists have a week in Scotland where it likely will be 18-20c and cloudy (rainy even ) then their opinion of the UK's weather will be more or less be formed .

London takes the rough end of the stick and is lumped together as 'the UK'

even the Dutch and Germans ffs take the p1ss and their general weather is worse than London's - but Manchester, Glasgow and Leeds etc have already done the damage ...they're the sinners - and you won't get a crappier climate than somewhere like Leeds or Glasgow ,unless you travel to Torshavn

simply put , if London was moved to France no one would even notice the climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather