Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Most British tourists visit large cities like Christchurch, Wellington & Auckland.

I'm seriously struggling to see how those summer are better than a typical summer in south-east England, in fact they look slightly worse. Even Auckland is pretty lame, highs neither here nor there when compared to London, and a record high of only 30C, which London will usually surpass a few times every year.
Yes, this was my original point -, even though they aren't much different statistically during summer, British people see it as quite a lot better -It's obviously just not about temperatures.

Quote:
He seems to spend a lot of time trying to validate NZ's climate to himself. He'll probably give us a story about eating a homegrown orange on top of a mountain in a minute
I mostly just juice my oranges, but most of them will end up on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Wellington is similar to southern England coastal resorts - not bad ,maybe a C rating - but i hear Wellington is terribly windy and in a chilly climate such as that it wil also feel very unpleasant . Try convincing some other sort
Wellington would be the stand out climate if it was the on south coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
I predict that London will see its first 80+ Degree reading by June 7th

Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes, this was my original point -, even though they aren't much different statistically during summer, British people see it as quite a lot better -It's obviously just not about temperatures..
They should speak for themselves, has their been a poll conducted of everyone in Britain to ask their opinions on NZ's summers? I'd have to visit NZ and see for myself, but if the stats are to be believed, then I will not be amazed. It's not just the temperatures, rainfall and sunshine are broadly the same too. The sun may be stronger in NZ which may or may not make a difference, but the days are also shorter at that time of year than they are in the UK, which sucks.

Granted places like Hastings, NZ, are noticeably better during the summer. But that's not really on the radar for most Brits.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
My point is that NZ's summers are generally as weak as south-east England's, and mentally-stable Brits would not be amazed by any of your big-city summers.
And yet they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Christchurch will receive praise - where i am receives praise from other Brits . Scottish esp.

Where are these Brits from ? they can' t be from south east or southern England _ unless they are just liking the weather period . Also ,are you seeing them on nice days out ? have you been out on a chilly,rainy, winters day and asked them ?

Your climate Nleson isn't bad at all - but we are talking Wellington and Christchurch are we not ?

I already knew that Nelson and Auckland are better overall than the UK .
All over, but more typically from the south. As I weather enthusiast, I've have talked to literally hundreds of "poms" about weather here and there. The answer is much the same. If it's raining, chilly etc, they will typically state, that at least it rains properly here, and will soon clear.

I talk to any immigrant from any country I can about weather, and people from each country generally echo each others view on the climate.

Wellington and Christchurch still compare favourably, to those I talk to. They don't generally separate summer from the rest of the year though.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
They should speak for themselves, I'd have to visit NZ and see for myself, but if the stats are to be believe I will not be amazed. It's not just the temperatures, rainfall and sunshine are broadly the same too. The sun may be stronger in NZ which may or may not make a difference, but the days are also shorter at that time of year than they are in the UK.

Granted places like Hastings, NZ, are noticeably better during the summer. But that's not really on the radar for most Brits.
They are speaking for themselves. I don't have a problem with the UK climate, and don't try to denigrate it, but British immigrants that I have talked to, leave me in no doubt that they much prefer summers here.

Rainfall and sunshine are nothing like between NZ and the UK. Summer is England is the sunniest time of the year in the UK, while in NZ it can be the least sunniest. Rainfall is all over the place in NZ -some places are wettest during summer, while others are driest.

Shorter summer days in NZ explain the generally lower minimums, but not the generally higher maximums -it's a climate the warms up quicker and cools down quicker than the UK.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Yeah, I recognise that it's not super warm at 23c, but at the same time, it's not cold either is it. Let's be honest.

Americans are just going round saying 'oh 23c is jacket weather' to be patronising.

I have been to Virginia/Florida/New York etc over summer months and in those locations there are occasional days with 24/25c and even rain. I didn't see people walking around with coats on.

Where in VA or FL? Philly hasn't had a July or August day with a high temp of 75F or below since one day in August 2014. And there were some people wearing jackets that day I'm sure. It was 71F yesterday for a high temp and many had jackets on. We just had a string of 90F plus days and 71F feels chilly after that.

Wonder why these folks in London felt the need to put on a jacket then:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/werelo...-Jyh97f-Kkp7mL

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It isn't cool though, it's 5c above the average room temperature.

Cool is based on what you are used to. That is all I will say.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I can agree with tom77falcons on that. When I spent 10 days on the east coast and 3 weeks in Eastern Europe a few years ago, it felt cool in Seattle at 20-24C when I came back. But when you stay 5-10 days here, you get used to it and it starts to feel warm at those temperatures and even cooler temperatures. If you stay under the sun, it can feel hot at 22C here and you get easily get sunburnt, but it's different feeling in shade.

I know in summer what temps I feel cool and when I don't, not them. Their nights are chilly in summer with temps in the middle to upper 50'sF. I would most certainly have a jacket on just like I do now with nights in the mid to upper 50'sF. Why would I suddenly change over there with May like temps after I'm used to night time low temps of 68-70F? Their daytime high temps in summer are much closer to my nightly lows than our high temps.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
And yet they are.

All over, but more typically from the south. As I weather enthusiast, I've have talked to literally hundreds of "poms" about weather here and there. The answer is much the same. If it's raining, chilly etc, they will typically state, that at least it rains properly here, and will soon clear.

I talk to any immigrant from any country I can about weather, and people from each country generally echo each others view on the climate.

Wellington and Christchurch still compare favourably, to those I talk to. They don't generally separate summer from the rest of the year though.

maybe they are giving you general views on the climate over the year - i would probably say i prefer NZ if you asked me in the street and compared it to where i am - it is sunnier than where i am ,it is also milder in winter ...and i believe you that it has less drizzle ..so maybe a yes ,but i would barely notice the difference
..i didn't notice the increased sun in Sussex when i lived there .. and i would say somewhere like Christchurch is the same or very similar to a south coast resort .

Unless you make a large step up i don't see how these guys would notice unless they're from further up in the UK .

Are you influencing them ? I had a lady tell me a few years ago (she had lived here for 3 years) that the summers here were the same as Sydney - that was her perception and the figures may have tallied for those 3 years more or less - but i bet she wasn't saying that after 2006 here

Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I've been to NJ/FL a few times in June/July/Augst period, during my stays there were plenty of 23/24c and cloudy days.

People weren't dressed in winter gear.

Infact, tbh during my stays temps were up and down, never really consistent. Virginia went from 37c to 24c to 32c etc, repeatedly.

Prove it. Give me the dates and the locale and I will check. The reason I say this is because over the last 30 years we average just 4 days in June with a high temp of 75F or below, 1 in July and 2 in August. Richmond, VA averages 3 days in June, 1 in July and 1 in August. Norfolk, VA averages 4 days in June, 0 in July and 1 in August.

There is no way our temps are constantly fluctuating from 24C to 37C whatever and back. Maybe once in summer, not as you say. Again, prove it. I want the locale and the time you were there and I will check the local data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather